'set piece attack' explanation

Could someone please explain the term 'set piece attack'?

I've found various descriptions of said attacks so I get the meaning of it. But no definitions or translations. The closest was 'standard situations' for football.

Thanks.

Nice link. It also carries a connotation, at least for me, of massive artillery preparation. This is FAR more artillery than for other attacks. Set-piece attacks need a lot of logistics build up. Montgomery seemed to be the main practitioner for the Allies. Long delays during the buildup, massive ordnance, short advance, dig in, repeat.

Monty was quite prepared to call off a set-piece plan if he thought it was going askew, then dig-in, and make a new plan, sometimes undertaken only the very next day.

Just like Patton, Monty didn't like paying in blood for the same ground twice, and he knew a good defensive stance was likely to disrupt the enemy further if they attempted a counterattack. One could even argue that a sit-and-wait-for-the-counterattack doctrine could be part of the overall set-piece battle!

Overall, I don't think one can argue about the effectiveness of the El Alemein set-piece battle; it resulted in something like a 1000 mile advance to Tripoli with no set-piece battles interrupting that advance at all.

BTW, even Patton didn't achieve that sort of advance, and by comparison his logistical problem was trivial. ;)