CMBN Pacific: Makin Atoll

LongLeftFlank,

Nothing like being strafed by your own air support! To say "That smarts" would be an understatement. Odds are that most of those men are dead or heavily wounded, light wounds being rare when hit by what I'm all but certain is .50 cal fire.

Your Makin build and the clever workarounds and stand-ins are simply remarkable. I think people will have quite the experience playing this, and I see that at least one person here has a direct family connection to this island assault. I find that both sobering and heartwarming at the same time.

Regards,

John Kettler

Yes, it totally sucked to lose that squad, although from a realism standpoint it's another awesome win for CM. They weren't in the A/C strike zone, but weren't that far away either. The air controller watched in horror then called off the air strike (by then in its 7th or so minute), but too late.

In the real Makin operation, with 800 men landing on a tiny island enshrouded in jungle and smoke, there were major problems with troops having to hold up their advance or even pull out of positions they'd taken when "friendly" shells began coming in. This even though the Navy had been carefully briefed on the fire plans and was trying to be very careful where they shot/bombed and when. Errant rounds, mostly, but when so much HE is coming in it's a problem.... on the plus side, a lot of Japanese defenders were indeed killed or stunned. The stubborn Japanese snipers in the ship hulks also created a lot of confusion and "crossfires" -- tank rounds overshooting and landing ashore. The support landing waves were delayed some 90 minutes while these hulks were pounded by aircraft and the USS Dewey's destroyer guns.

The above tragedy included, my latest latest playthrough last night began to feel "right". 5 minutes of intense prep bombardment before the first wave comes on map allows Force Z to come ashore with far lighter casualties, but with most squads still Rattled/Shaken/Broken and in no state to do much more than secure the beach for the next wave (very appropriate for Green US forces).

Had a couple of very dramatic close assaults against Japanese snipers and Nambu nests though. Fanatical troops, even Green ones, just don't give up! Grenades and tommyguns are essential to finishing the bloody job.

Fewer tanks are Immob although I continue to tinker with this key dynamic (if 12 Shermans can wander about too freely ashore the scenario will be a pushover).

In recreating a historical operation of this scale, I am also becoming aware that 90-120 game minutes can actually represent a RL historical action of several hours quite nicely; assume some significant lulls in the action while troops hesitate, rally, look for the enemy, etc. The landings began at 1030; the main force was ashore by 1110 but didn't move inland until after noon. First elements didn't reach the ocean shore (300m) until 1400 and the 1st BLT wasn't contacted until 1600. But it seems to work nicely without 6+ hours of gameplay :D

I'm on the road for the next couple days, so no playtest screenies for a bit.

But I am curious: any bona fide Japanese or Korean WWII wargamers lurking out there? (expats, Westerners of Asian ancestry, white dudes who dig Asian women or just love kimchi need not apply). I am trying to test my hypothesis that an Asian market exists for CM games (the "Tamiya factor"). Anybody? We don't mind poor English skills... most of us speak pretty lousy English too. :P

Good luck. My wife who is Japanese manages some beta forums for Adobe for the Japan business. Trying to get participation on those tech forums is fairly difficult and that's with them speaking Japanese. Start the conversation in English and participation drops off a cliff.

LongLeftFlank,

Do you have any of these in the scenario?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_97_20_mm_anti-tank_rifle

The Japanese used them as antiboat weapons, and would, I think, make life unpleasant for the Alligators. Given you're using British as Japanese, I'd expect that the somewhat similar Boys antitank rifle would be a fairly decent substitute, but the Boys was bolt action, whereas the Type 97 was semiautomatic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boys_anti-tank_rifle

Regards,

John Kettler

Unless I've missed it somewhere, it's not in the (mid 1944) CW force mix. No, the Japanese AT capabilities are limited to demo charges, mines and various ordnance weapons. I'm not redoing all my work in CMFI (which I haven't bought yet) just so I can access the Italian TOE, although it does most closely resemble the IJA. Maybe some other time.

LongLeftFlank,

I'm sure you're right, but I guess I was thinking from a CMFI, rather than a CMBN, perspective. I spend so much time in both, sometimes I lose track. I do know off a most interesting employment of the Boys in the Dieppe raid. Set up in a barn overlooking one of the coastal batteries, the Royal Commandos sniped the powder cartridges for one of the big guns, starting a fire which completely discombobulated the shoot in progress against the vessels supporting the raid. Were you to try this scenario using the Italians, the Solothurn might be a good Type 97 substitute, and it was semiautomatic.

Regards,

John Kettler

Action_defense2.jpg

Latest playtest once again had a brutal FF incident; this time 2 Alligators (halftracks) were strafed on the beach, with a dozen casualties. Couple of key lessons (1) air strikes can go on for several minutes after they no longer show up as active on the Air Support menu (2) with that in mind, hit CANCEL once you know friendlies are nearing the strike area.

The tanks are now getting ashore well, though slowly: only 3 Immobs this time around.

The AI controlled Japanese (German, actually) 75mm infantry guns are using indirect fire pretty well, but the problem is their rounds are largely pulverizing the trees in front of them; I think all of one round actually landed in the US area. This is a very strange effect. I don't want to give them 81mm mortars instead, since this gives them a lot more HE firepower (ROF) than they actually possessed. Need to tweak this some more -- maybe setting them farther back in a clearing will help.

I have never had any interest in the PTO and would never even bother playing a game based on the war in that theatre.

I have to say, watching you work and the seeing your mods has changed my mind and I wish to applaud you on your outstanding effort.

Now if we could only get fire and flame-throwers added by BFC

Another convert, bwahahaha! :{D

CM Uberpanzer queens will hate the PTO because armour is basically a gun platform (that bogs down constantly in the lousy conditions). But if you love down and dirty small unit infantry combat, it's awesome -- better than bocage because the terrain is both dense and totally random.

Holy hell, Izzy! This island is one giant goddam' bunker!

Action_bunker1.jpg

Thanks, Bil. That means a great deal coming from you. :)

Here's some clips from the Japanese side briefing (you can only play Japanese side H2H). No spoilers.

The long ribbon of shoreline that makes up Makin Atoll cannot all be defended. Therefore, the Japanese defensive scheme concentrates their limited forces in a heavily fortified zone in the central segment of the main island, Butaritari, where the prewar British commercial facilities (and fresh water supply) are located, surrounded by overgrown coconut plantations.

However, the planned fortifications remain incomplete and the Americans have bombed Butaritari regularly over the last several months. To make things even harder, many of the *** SNLF troops were recently redeployed to Tarawa and Nauru, together with all remaining aircraft and ships. This leaves fewer than *** trained soldiers to defend Makin, augmented by a few hundred poorly armed aviation personnel and construction workers. Since then, the command has worked feverishly on completing the two Tank Barriers that cross the narrow island at either end of the fortified zone, but sections still consist only of wire and a heavy log fence. There are nowhere near enough cement, landmines or heavy weapons to complete the original scheme.

And now we are out of time. At dawn this morning, a gigantic American fleet abruptly appeared and commenced an intensive bombardment of heavy naval guns and carrier planes. No warning was received from headquarters on Tarawa (150 miles away), and they are out of communication at present; it appears they have problems of their own.

At about 0900, approximately a regiment of American troops, including tanks, landed at two rocky beaches at the western end of Butaritari, which is barely defended. Phone wires have been cut by the bombardment, but it appears that the invaders are well ashore and advancing inland toward the West Tank Barrier.

Enemy bombardment of the core fortified zone (game map area) has now intensified, making movement hazardous. Yankee aircraft have set alight the aviation and diesel fuel stores, wreathing the island in oily smoke; they have also silenced our 3-gun 200mm shore battery facing the ocean. A direct hit on the command post also appears to have killed the garrison commander, so the company HQs are now acting independently.

At 1030, it becomes clear that the Americans are conducting a second beach landing, between the two wharfs on the lagoon side. A large force of transport ships has entered the (unmined -- the Navy never got around to that) central lagoon, and at least 50 smaller landing vessels and amphibious tanks are now approaching the north shore of Butaritari. Estimated force size is a battalion.

This is a cunning, though risky move by the Americans. If this landing succeeds, the West Tank Barrier will be outflanked, cut off and subject to assault from both sides. The lagoon side is also less heavily fortified than the ocean side. However, a broad, shallow reef separates the landing craft from the beach. The invading forces will need to wade across this reef, completely exposed, for up to 250 meters. Red meat for our well dug in field artillery and machine guns! at least for those that survive the hellish bombardment.

For some time, rumour has it that a powerful Imperial Navy task force under Admiral Koga, including the invincible battleship Yamato and 3 carriers is already at sea, looking to attack the American fleet as it is pinned down supporting their landing forces. The longer our brave troops can keep the invaders intensively engaged on these islands, the more likely that the Navy can deliver a decisive blow, avenge the setbacks at Midway and Guadalcanal and bring the arrogant Americans to their senses. Regardless, it is a glorious thing to die in battle for the Emperor.

Banzai!!!! Banzai!!! Banzai!!!

You stand "in the boots" of the commander of 2nd Company, Imperial Navy 3rd Special Naval Landing Force Special Base Force (formerly the Yokosuka 6th SNLF). The island commander, Navy Lieutenant (JG) Ishikawa, appears to have been killed by a direct hit on his command post, so each of the company commanders must defend his prepared positions as best he can, using only his own battered forces.

It is 1030 and the American first wave is approaching the reef, followed by still more boats. Kill as many of the enemy as possible while they struggle out there. Do not waste men counterattacking the Yankees once they gain the shore however; bayonet charges have proved counterproductive against their many machine guns and squander our mens' lives.

Rikusentai of the Imperial Navy! sell your lives dearly! If your brave soldiers kill one Yankee for every man they lose, you will likely win even if they overrun all the fortified areas. The more costly these invasions are to them, the more likely the Americans will negotiate honourable peace with the mighty Empire of Japan.

Let the blue-eyes seek out our hidden positions inland, then kill them in close range ambush, or by sniping. Use their wounded as bait to lure out more enemy. Blow up their tanks as they flounder on the marshy, sandy ground or amid the matted jungle roots. Infiltrate behind them and slaughter their demoralized stragglers. The American boys are amateurs and lazy, and have little stomach (hara) for this kind of fight. They try to let their enormous firepower do all the hard work for them. Outsmart their guns, then send them, terrified, to hell!

We shall certainly perish, but with dignity, watering this parched island with the blood of our enemies. Do not wait for us, faraway mothers and sweethearts. And do not weep!

I'm nearly ready to turn Makin over to playtesters, so PM me if interested. I want both US vs AI and H2H PBEM (vs me playing Japanese). This is a Huge battle (1-1/2 battalions and 30 AFVs on US side), so you'll need a good rig to play RT.

Also -- so, you think you can't work up an Iwo Jima lava moonscape, eh? 5 minutes of intense pulverization with naval guns works nicely.

Action_moonscape1.jpg

Banzai THIS, Tojo!!!!

Action_defense3.jpg

Interestingly, a Panicked American squad has conducted the first Banzai charge I've seen in the game. For no clear reason, they left their fairly sheltered bomb crater and frontally attacked a Japanese entrenchment, charging some 50 meters to do it! It was generally a massacre, but a couple of GIs actually got into the trench and killed 2 Japanese before being killed themselves; the 2 survivors then Surrendered.

LongLeftFlank,

Are you trying to simulate this weapon, the Type 92 Battalion Gun? It provides both direct fire and indirect fire capabilities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_92_Battalion_Gun

If you're using the British as the Japanese, I don't see any comparable weapon to the Type 92, with the possible exception of the 3" Mortar for indirect fires. Or am I missing something?

No, the Type 94 mountain gun, "one of the most common weapons encountered by Allied forces towards the closing stages of the war." Note that there is no historical evidence that such weapons were in fact deployed on Makin. There are references to 200mm coastal guns, 37mm antitank guns and quick-fire AA guns (calibre unidentified), although these were targeted by the bombardments and played no role in the subsequent fighting.

94-75.JPG

To make the scenario more interesting, particularly in H2H play, without departing too much from historicity, I am giving the Japanese some artillery that US forces need to neutralize (either by killing the guns or the OPs).

But I need it to be much less effective and accurate than 81mm mortars or offboard batteries (it's far too easy for those to create a bloodbath among the masses of American infantry wading on the reef). The 75mm guns, with their limited ammo supply, ponderous indirect fire ranging process and limited effect, are perfect and reasonably authentic IMHO. Plus, they do have direct fire potential; peek too carelessly into the wrong hole and lose your turret or head!

Lacking a suitable British on-map gun*, I used the German 75mm IG. The crews will be unmodded Germans (I'm not about to duplicate all CoonDog's British IJA mods to Germans -- deal with it). And since their ammo bearers carry highly lethal MG42s, I've quarantined the latter behind a double layer wall of bocage so they are unlikely to play a combat role. And John, I really don't give that much of a crap that the Lg18 and the Type 94 are totally different guns, so spare me....

LongLeft Flank,

Taking your cue, I've come here to continue the discussion. I'd like to know how it is you're able to put German guns into the British (subbing for the Japanese) ORBAT? This is a scenario design capability I've not encountered before. What I do find of interest is that the leIG 18 has some unusual characteristics, most notably, the ability to operate into mortar type elevations, in this case, as high as 73 degrees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.5_cm_leichtes_Infanteriegeschütz_18

Unfortunately, none of the sources I've checked, including Lone Sentry, list Rmin, but I'm all but certain even with your constrained battlefield, it should be doable.

Regards,

John Kettler

Achieving treebursts is all well and good, but not 40 meters from your own position!

Action_defense4.jpg

If the intended target is 430m downrange and max range is 3.5km, that would imply a very high elevation for the gun when firing indirect, correct? (Per JK's wikilink, 73deg is achievable). These guys did this 4 times in a row (and yes, they're in bushes; the slight zoom in the shot makes those trees look a lot closer than they are)

Thanks, mate. I'll drag you in yet, flamethrowers or not.

I'm 19 minutes into the "dress rehearsal" runthrough and things appear to be "in the zone". After enduring some withering fire from about a dozen Japanese MG bunkers, the two assault platoons of Detachment Z have largely cleared the two wharfs and the Japanese HQ. Shermans, protected by small teams of GIs are picketed all down YELLOW beach and are winkling out the snipers who haven't yet fallen back. Butcher's bill to date: 28 casualties; most of the rest are Rattled. Also, 5 tanks and 3 Alligators are stranded (Immob) on the reef and beach.

The defenders have lost about twice as many, although half this toll was lost to the air and naval bombardment. And at least one infantry gun is able to get a few shots to clear the trees, which should give the US player pause as the main forces arrive on the reef.

CPL Sussman's half-squad gets a little more than they bargained for amid the shattered ruins of the construction barracks.

Action_assault3.jpg

Interesting how the Conscript (Korean) labour troops have a very different, and vastly less accurate, fire tempo than Green SNLF regulars. They just keep snapping off rounds.

Speaking of "indentured Korean" troops did you see my post re the movie MY WAY which deals with their plight and also has production values and battle scenes much better and bigger than SAVING PRIVATE RYAN.

Only prob it starts on the China mainland and doesn't get int island fighting.

No, but it sounds like an interesting oddyssey; there were many in the war. If I actually watched movies, I'd look for it. CM is the bulk of my screentime these days; want to get this out before the OMG module is released.

EDIT: OK, you piqued my curiosity. Here's the trailer. And

will probably be removed fairly soon, but my instant reaction is: Playtone meets Michael Bay. Ixnay on the Ealism-ray.

The early scenes of the war in China are even more emotionally charged. An amazing "study of fanaticism" movie with a really good story and relationship conflicts (altho' that dissipates into the huge Normandy scene at the end). No one's heard of it cos it was produced by Koreans.