CMBN Pacific: Makin Atoll

I was just reading up on the Battle of Makin Atoll -- the Yellow Beach assault (famous photo below) and subsequent taking of the West Tank Barrier appears quite suitable for the CM scale; the island was only about 150 yards wide in spots. Alligators are the key missing item here; flamethrowers apparently weren't available on D-Day. Oh, and it looks like the medium tanks were Grants, not Shermans.

Battle_of_Makin.jpg

m4.jpg

m9.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

First screenie from my WIP 1600x720 map of Yellow Beach, on the north (lagoon) shore of the central fortified zone of Butaritari Island, Makin Atoll. Unmoved by the terrific Yankee air and naval prep bombardment, two intrepid rikusentai sharpshooters of the Sasebo force wade out to a hulk rusting in the shallows near the shattered On Chong Wharf and await the blue-eyed invaders whose barges are now massing in the lagoon.

OnChong_1.jpg

Thanks to your dad for his courage; rest easy. The famous photo above actually shows the first wave, "Force Z" of the 105th that preceded the 165th and secured the wharfs flanking Yellow beach. Wading 250 yards over submerged coral, with no cover whatsoever except a few thin-skinned Alligators must have been the stiff of nightmares (they miscalculated the water depth); although enemy fire turned out to be mercifully light.

I am going to try to make this a short project, at least by my standards. The Japanese force on Makin didn't

• 2 weeks later...

View NNW from the Japanese construction barracks toward the lagoon shore road and the On Chong wharf buildings. The opening barrage should pound this stuff to matchwood.

Makin-barracks.jpg

Hat tip to Permanent666 for his wooden bungalow on "stilts" mod visible in foreground. I sank these buildings 1m down into the earth.

Nah, it's been done to death in shooters. While Carlson's raid *could* be done enjoyably in CM (and my map covers some of the King's Wharf area, it really isn't best suited to the scale IMHO. In any case *I* am more interested in the tactical challenges of securing a beachhead at battalion scale, while staying within a PBEM (H2H) scenario timeframe of ~2 hours.

That's the main reason I chose Makin, together with it being very thoroughly documented. And yes, I do hope to convince BFC that a little CMPTO game is well worth doing at some point ;)

I didn't want to start with a Betio, Iwo or Peleliu bloodbath, even though John Wayne (and Spielberg) and most of us who didn't have to bleed and sweat there love that sh*t; there really isn't that much for the higher commander to decide, frankly. The plan has gone sideways and all there is to do is for the doughs or Leathernecks to slug it out, spider hole by spider hole.

Oh, and there were no flamethrowers available at Makin on D-Day; the oxygen tanks got misplaced. Convenient at this stage of CM development, since I strive for historical realism in my map/scenario design.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally getting a little time for Makin. I'm posting these shots of the battlefield for my own reference -- tree and jungle density, mainly.

The west central portion of the landing zone, with fuel dumps ablaze and Alligator trails

p52.jpg

The east central sector of the landing zone, showing Company E (165th) sectors.

p82.jpg

Thanks! While flattery won't get you everywhere, at least it will get you some new screenies.

1. Low res pano of the entire Yellow Beach landing zone, looking west from the Kings Wharf observation tower. The sand spit in the foreground is thought to be the location of the "Jap" garrison HQ, and is being heavily bombarded -- see detail shot below.

MakinPano_LoRes_1.jpg

Makin_Sandspit.jpg

3. Higher res shot, also looking west, giving you an idea of the jungle density. The buildings are all pretty much placed. Now time to work on the Japanese defensive positions (other than the Tank Barrier, which is done). But since I'm out of town again this coming week, it'll have to wait. Sorry guys.

Makin_pano_hires_1.jpg

P.S. That bridge in the water in the foreground of the first shot is actually a wrecked H8K flying boat. Like the boat hulks, it too was a Japanese sniper position.

p113.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
holy crap LLF next thing you are gonna mod in landing craft. This is pretty incredible.

Ask and ye shall receive.! 16 foot bridge atop Shallow Ford tiles makes a stand-in for the tank lighters (LCMs), grounding on the edge of the lagoon reef to discharge their tanks.

LCT.jpg

And before Mr Picky arrives to tell me that LCMs carried only one tank apiece, not two, I need to limit the number of pathways ashore and therefore am doubling up.

I used a hex editor to repoint the CMBN Tree B (poplar) type to the CMSF palm tree model and textures. permanent666 and I have both uploaded draft PTO terrain mods onto the Repository.

The Repository also contains some preliminary mods turning British Army into Japanese (including voices). Browse this thread for the full story.

I don't think the USMC mods were ever uploaded though, which is OK by me since Makin was an Army operation and the base textures will suffice.

Also, I'm starting to think about downsizing most of the interior buildings on the Makin map to the smallest footprints. That veranda effect is very pretty and all, but I notice they really stick out on the map (which they did not do in RL). And tactically they were pretty useless except as artillery aiming points; the defenders fought from dugouts and bunkers, not the buildings.