H2H Campaigns

Then I am probably not understanding things or not phrasing things correctly. I thought all the campaigns were set up to be played against the AI? And the only way two humans could play a campaign was to use an Op layer as SBurke and Broadsword are doing? Making their own maps, etc. on the way.

Gerry

The problem with H2H campaigns is setting them up so they remain fun for both sides throughout the campaign, while still retaining the feeling of continuity and without feeling like it's just a series of artificial battles. The way Core Units work, if you have both sides having them (as you'd need to maintain the continuity), if one side gets the upper hand, the losing side will likely be on an exponentially downhill slope, unless they get sufficient reinforcements (diluting the continuity thread) or replacements (making previous scenarios less meaningful). I'm sure and certain that it's possible to design an interesting campaign that caters for H2H play and works equally well for both sides, as a game, regardless of the progression of the campaign, but it's difficult, and would take a lot of testing, adding to an already stiff creation burden.

They'll come, but they'll be labours of love, and I would bet that they'll largely have a good chance of getting derailed at first contact, in the "keeping the game interesting for both sides" stakes.

So while they can be created it looks like they have not been created for CMBN yet. I assume it's due to the issues that Womble raises? That is too bad.

Gerry

Yes, you're misunderstanding.

Any CMx2 campaign can be set up - by the designer - to be either single player or H2H. There are a couple of retrofits of CMSF campaigns to be playable H2H on the repository.

So while they can be created it looks like they have not been created for CMBN yet. I assume it's due to the issues that Womble raises?

I assume so. And to a general lack of interest in H2H campaigns.

That is too bad.

Well, you have the same tools available as every other scen designers. Use the CM Scen Organiser utility to de-consruct a campaign into its component scens, add imagery, objectives and a briefing to what was the AI side (and you might want to relax the setup zones), write a campaign script making it H2H, and then Bob's your auntie.