'Friendly Condition' Victory Objective

Can anyone tell me if the 'Friendly Condition' percentage parameter (those units not panicked, wounded, tired etc.) is calculated as a percentage of the troops remaining at the end of the battle or whether it is a percentage of the total number of units at the start of the battle?

It seems to me that I often achieve this 'Friendly Condition' when all other objectives have been failed.

The reason could be...

If it is a percentage of the total number of troops then (because the parameter doesn't include casualties) the more casualties you suffer the more likely you are to achieve this objective!

Can anyone verify this?

However, if your total casualties are large, your Global morale will be degraded and you're less likely to be able to hit the condition parameter. Is it possible that just not having pushed hard enough, your troops have been kept in good condition, sheltered, if you like, and so terrain and enemy casualty conditions haven't been achieved?

If it is a percentage of the total number of troops then (because the parameter doesn't include casualties) the more casualties you suffer the more likely you are to achieve this objective!

In a word - no.

You get points (assuming the designer has allocated em) for force preservation e.g. number of casualties, ammo expended etc. However you have to balance the points gained for looking after every last man and bullet against achieving the mission. Generally most designers will give you the bulk of points for taking your objectives e.g. taking terrain or killing the enemy or both.

Invariably to do that you will have to put your wee pixeltruppen into harms way - and you'll lose some. The real challenge is taking all your objectives AND achieving any allocated 'preservation' points e.g. keeping casualties down to 10%, only expending 20% of your ammo etc etc.

I must admit I tend to go all out to take the main objectives and just hope that good tactics will keep my casualties down to acceptable limits.

As an aside and this is in no way meant as a personal criticism of you raising this issue, but it seems across the board (from how tanks, infantry etc perform, to how cover works etc) that players want to see detailed to the last very last detail. All seems a bit OCD to me :) Me? I just drive em forward until they blow up or blow something up. Far simpler and lot's of fun. Can't be really arsed with all this listing to the nth degree. :P

Guys - really helpful information - thank you all.

BTW: I suspect there is a little bit of OCD in 99% of CMBN players.

oops - just saw a magpie:

"Hello Mr. Magpie, how's your lady wife."

ah - okay - said it three times.

:-)