Do vehicles constitute loss hindrance?

In Close Encounter 2 Shermans of mine were lined up with a StuG.

The backward Sherm engaged the StuG...the advanced Sherm didnt have LOS, but the red line of the former one croseed the advanced Sherm.

Anyway my question is:

Given the right conditions, do vehicles constitute loss hindrance?

Guest Big Time Software

No "live" unit will block LOS. This has been explained in detail a while back, but it basically comes down to limited CPU cycles. LOS is a total pig smile.gif However, a "dead" vehicle does have the ability to block LOS. The difference is a "live" vehicle is a variable, a "dead" one is a constant (in terms of location, speed, direction, etc.) The LOS calculations for the former are too intensive, the latter the same as terrain.

Steve

Guest Gunnerdream

"Close Encounters"...hmmm...is that the scenario with the E.T.'s versus the A.I.?

:0 smile.gif

Gunnerdream...floating down through the clouds...

Wow, Steve, that's a big revelation. You mean my tactic of bringing up a squad behind an advancing tank doesn't really provide them any protection after all? Those poor guys. No wonder they're less than friendly to me.

Tom

<table> <tr><td bgcolor=red><font color=black size="-1"><div align="center">TOBRUK:</div></font>

</td>

<td bgcolor=black><font color=white>your tactic needs only a little changing - shoot your own tanks!! *lol*

would you like to pbem, any side any scenario?? mail me!</font>

</td>

</tr>

</table>

Guest Captain Foobar

This is a new revelation to me.

So if you fire *through* one of your units to hit an enemy in LOS, what happens regarding friendly fire???

As I understand it, when the firing weapon is an MG, chances are that you'll lose some of your own guys (grazing fire). Other small arms would cause no harm, since a rifleman would simply hold fire for as long as somebody is in his way. However, when it's night or foggy, chances are that your guys would mistake anybody running into the line of fire for the enemy and possibly TARGET your own side - with usually ugly results...

Guest Big Time Software

Yes, this has actually been brought up a number of times in the past (try a Search for more). Unfortunately, LOS checks are already something like 25% of the total calculations being done for a turn. The game would litterally grind to a halt (and I mean it in a BIG way) if we had to account for every variable unit each time somebody went to fire, as the number of LOS checks would go up exponentially. It would probably also double the RAM requirements, if not higher.

As Moon states, most of the time there is no problem with the reality CM has to deal with. The real bugger is MG fire. We found that we could squeak that in with modest impact on game speed. The other one is the somewhat rare case of shooting "through" a vehicle and hitting one behind it. In all the games I have played I think I have seen such a situation once or MAYBE twice, so it really isn't a big deal. As for troops hiding behind a tank? A team or beat up squad could get some protection from nearly direct head on fire, but a full squad or angled fire would not do much in terms of protection.

Again, computers are FAR less powerful than people think they are. And Charles is the best programmer I have ever worked with, by FAR, so I know there is nothing more that can be done here. Probably not for another 2-3 years or so.

Steve

Steve; Thanks for the explanation. Your time & advice is appreciated.

Lindan; Yes, indeed, I LOL at your suggestion smile.gif . I am honored by your invitation, but I have never PBEM'd before and I have absolutely no idea how it's done or what's necessary to accomplish it. So, as soon as I have some time (maybe not for a few days) I will launch myself at that learning curve. Do some 'search' on the subject, etc., to discover what I can. When I feel more confidant I'll get back to you. Hope you find an opponent in the meantime. Thanks...

Tom

PS: Happy New Year to all smile.gifsmile.gif

PPS: I updated profile to include e-mail.

[This message has been edited by TOBRUK (edited 12-31-99).]