The BMP-1: Really that bad?

+1 to that. Altho' I like modern warfare,CMSF would have "meant" more had it been set in Iraq... altho' Syria is a sort of stand in.

I thought Cold War 70's was a very popular subject (maybe only in those days?). I suspect BF was seduced by Aussie govt development money and dreams of US DoD contracts when they developed CMSF.

It seems pretty popular with miniature gamers - there have been a few Wargames Guild big games set in the period. My own (largely unpainted) figure and vehicle collection is predominantly Cold War/brush fire war stuff.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those of you longing for a cold war era tactical simulation should search for Armored Brigade, it's a free game, still in development (now for four years with the last update couple of weeks ago) but with tons of features. There are also lots of mods for it already.

Returning to the original topic of this thread, I just took another look at some of the vids I posted in the Syria thread and notice that most of the regime BMPs in Homs mount 73mm, not autocannon. I am adjusting my BLUE force for the Baba Amr fight accordingly.

Also, I noticed that this gun can elevate above 45deg -- more if the driver tilts the hull using a curb or trash heap: that helps rationalize the amazing ability of CMSF guns to shoot up adjacent tall buildings... a bit.

I think the BMP-1 is the best thing since sliced bread..........in CM Afghanistan that is. For the time period, it's the only thing short of a tank that has direct HE support like you really want it. IIRC, it's not so much a 'gun' as it is a RR firing rockets correct??? When I pause the game in CMA it looks like an RPG round coming out the pipe. The BMD is my second favorite, due to the immense number of machine guns and all the suppression you can ask for with a target light command.

My least favorite, the BTR in all it's forms. Now THAT is the definition of a battlefield taxi. One that I wouldn't pay a fare for BTW. Reminds me of the M113, just not as cool looking.

Funnily enough, I love BTRs. They do exactly what you want them to.

They are fast, simple, reliable, cheap, surprisingly good off road, amphibious and that 14.5mm cannon will tear great big holes out of buildings at very long ranges. They can even be used to ambush light armour if you are desperate.

Treat 'em right and they will do you well!

I think the BMP-1 is the best thing since sliced bread..........in CM Afghanistan that is. For the time period, it's the only thing short of a tank that has direct HE support like you really want it. IIRC, it's not so much a 'gun' as it is a RR firing rockets correct??? When I pause the game in CMA it looks like an RPG round coming out the pipe.

More or less. It's not actually recoilless, it's just a regular low-pressure gun - but the projectiles are rocket assisted. According to wikipedia, the original HEAT round (PG-15V) has a muzzle velocity of 400 m/s, but accelerates to 700 m/s with the rocket booster.

I'm not sure about the HE rounds (OG-15V): a quick Internet search returns a muzzle velocity of 290 m/s, but no mention of a rocket booster. It may be that only the HEAT rounds are rocket assisted?

• 2 weeks later...