CM iPad vs. CM Normandy

I always play wego, so that's not a huge down for me, and I actually prefer 30 second turns, assuming it doesn't make the game take too long -- only works for smaller scenarios though. Some of the campaign scenarios would take forever at 30 seconds each.

It does have an AI though right? We can play against the iPad, not just against people online?

Yes solo play is enabled.

CMTouch is not CMBN for the iPad. But it comes close, and when you know the desktop versions, you will feel right at home. Truth is that the iPad cannot quite handle the full game. Heck, some desktops cannot handle it.

All anyone has to go on (unless you've already bought the Australian release) is the YouTube clips. My interpretation of the videos is CM:Touch is a limited game with broad audience appeal, while CM:BN is a broad game with a limited audience base. I doubt BFC is going to be selling fifty dollars worth of game at five bucks a pop.

My two cents

It’s real, but with major differences. IPAD has less than half the specs needed for PC version.

Therefore does it have quick battle? Scenario editor? All functions? Only what 5 scenarios?

Do you pay .99 to 4.99 for additional scenarios? Just surmising

Yep, the iPad 2 is a great platform and powerful compared to earlier tablets, but we are quite a ways away from being able to play CMBN on it. Make no mistake though, CMTouch is pushing the envelope of what you can get as an app these days. It offers 4sqkm maps for example. This isn't just some spitting-range RTS! :)

No editors. 7 missions included in the app. It is all in the announcement.

Not sure yet what scenario packs will cost, we'll see. But certainly less than the full game, so 0.99 or 1.99 is much more likely than 4.99 :)

Martin

An off the wall comparison to make is eating pizza at a nice Italian restaurant and eating pizza at home while watching a good movie. Same food, same people eating with you perhaps, but the experience is very different. At least it should be! Not better or worse, just different. The thing is you should have fun and enjoy both types of experiences for what they have to offer.

To contrast this analogy, it is *NOT* like going out to have sushi in a restaurant and eating a frozen dinner at home. Those experiences have nothing in common and, personally, I would rather pass on both :D

Steve

An off the wall comparison to make is eating pizza at a nice Italian restaurant and eating pizza at home while watching a good movie. Same food, same people eating with you perhaps, but the experience is very different. At least it should be! Not better or worse, just different. The thing is you should have fun and enjoy both types of experiences for what they have to offer.

To contrast this analogy, it is *NOT* like going out to have sushi in a restaurant and eating a frozen dinner at home. Those experiences have nothing in common and, personally, I would rather pass on both :D

Steve

I'll pass on the frozen dinner as well, but I'll take your sushi. You not eating that? mmmmmm Fish the way our ancestors liked it - raw!

I have another question regarding CMBN vs CM:T. I'm not comparing features or the UI. I understand they are two different games similar to CMx1 vs CMx2. My question is around calling in arty. One of my frustrations with CMBN is the length of time before shells start falling. In a PBEM game I have going now I tried to call in onboard arty and it was going to take 8 minutes?!? So I tried off board arty and that was 11 minutes?!? I have no idea where the enemy (who is attacking) will be 11 turns from now.

So when I tried CM:T arty for the first time, I was surprised when shells started falling at the beginning of the third turn which would be after just 1 minute? And this timing has been consistent every game I've played.

Shouldn't the underlying "realism" be consistent regardless of the UI, etc?

Since most of the current CMT battles are much shorter, the artillery calling times had to be shortened as well, or you would never get arty. You can rationalize this if you like as the game basically assuming prepared barrages on stand-by (aka target points).