Sign in to follow this  
RuhrRiver

Game becomes too slow to play

Has anyone experienced the following problem? I recollect that I have had it a few times with CM games, but this is the first time with CMBN. I have a pretty old PC which has nevertheless done just fine with CMBN and the new module until a few days ago:

After a normal start, everything slooooows down--as if a frame rate has dropped to 5 or something. The cursor can be positioned in fits and starts over a menu choice (with many overshoots), and I can actually (eventually) load a battle, but the situation is the same within the game: you rotate the view and first nothing happens and then it goes 360 degrees.

I have looked at the task manager information and there is nothing really unusual with the game parameters: it's taking up about the right amount of memory, CPU time, etc. I have tried rebooting, turning off my antivirus program, and checking for viruses. No other problems with other programs currently.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure why you would be seeing such bad performance in just the main menu. It suggests that something else is going on with your system, that ends up interfering with CMBN. Are you having issues with any other software ?

You may want to checkout your system with Microsoft's Sysinternals suite, especially the Process Monitor to see if there is something issuing a lot of interrupts (such as the mouse). Be aware that you CANNOT run the Sysinternals programs with CMBN since it may cause problems with the copy-protection system (and prevent CMBN from running).

Redwolf:

Thanks for the response. I meant that no program or process appears to be using more memory than usual. I have 1.25 gigs of RAM, and have had no problem previously playing with that amount. I also just tried playing CMSF and it plays fine--no problems. I'm probably going to try to reinstall CMBN and the module.

You want to monitor how much swapspace is in use.

If swapspace use shoots up at the same time that your game slows down you know that you simply ran out of RAM.

Sign in to follow this