AVG Objecting to SC Gold

I have been having a continual battle with AVG to be allowed to run SC Gold. I have told it to ignore the file and the path but periodically it seems to forget this and moves the relevant file to the Virus Vault. I then have to reinstate it and it works for a while until the next intervention. When I tell it to restore the file it starts claiming there is a virus in the restore section of the disc and I end up getting multiple virus reports on that.

I have gone so far as backing up the file on a memory stick in case AVG finally manages to purge it from my system.

Is there anything else I can do apart from stopping heuristic scanning or is there a chance that the AVG people could be made to understand that this is not a threat?

Regards

Mike

Sorry to hear about the trouble and probably your best bet is to try and contact AVG to let them know about the issues you are having.

We've contacted a few of the major virus protection providers but unfortunately I am guessing it is one of those things that until they hear more complaints they are not likely to make any changes.

• 1 month later...

Just to update you, AVG standard policy was to ask you to get any suspected false positives checked at one of the standard virus checker sites such as https://www.virustotal.com/ This found that AVG and only two others out of 40 or so AV packages thought the SC file a virus.

After I reported this result and submitted the file to AVG they agreed it was a false positive and said they would include it in their next update. As far as I can tell they have done that and when I went back to Virus Total it was not identified by any AV package so I guess they share information.

I hope therefore that nobody else will get this problem unless they are using an old version of AV software.

Regards

Mike