Preview WIP New CMBN CW Portraits

Mord

It starts like this...

Darknight Canuck: "BTW the Canadian flag in your mod wasn't used during WWII..."

Mord: "Oh dang, I can't believe I did that! My head must still be in CMSF land...oh, well, won't be too hard to fix, I saved all my layers..."

8 Days later, 2 complete overhauls of the CW Allies and base game Americans and 1 complete redo of the base game Germans and I still haven't finished those flags...last count that is over 1200 files since I started the original CW portraits! Most of them went into the recycle bin...usually with a send off from my middle finger.

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome...well, not only can I testify, I am here to say that when you add a desire to perfect that repetitious act you set a scenario in motion that involves many a night cussing at your monitor, weeping and jamming your fist into your face repeatedly...and that's the fun part.

So, before I digress any further and start talking about my love of all things rubber and turkey basters...here's where I'm at, thus far.

portraitsthree.jpg

I am not completely happy with the CW guys but I am close...I can taste it...it's like a Twinkie dipped in skunk musk.

These next two pics show how far I have come.

portraitsone.jpg

I have a tendency to go all bobble head...the next pic rectifies it...

portraitstwo.jpg

See? NOW they got matching cranial girth!

The Americans really came out great. I am VERY happy with them and feel like my modding

ability has turned a corner...A hairy, toothy corner best avoided by good Christian folk...but a turn nonetheless!

And finally a little love for the German players...actually a lot of love...so much so, I may need to hand out some shoehorns so you can cram it all in! Ok...actually, it's not the look of these that is the big deal (they are far from done) it's the break through that I've been striving for since I first released the base game portraits that should get you guys juiced...or at least mildly sweaty.

BEHOLD!!!

portraitsgermans.jpg

Now, the next thing I say probably hasn't been uttered a whole lot in the English language, or any other language for that matter, but thank god for the Waffen SS...(Before you start throwing bricks at me read the next part) If it wasn't for those portraits I did for the CW mod and some totally awesome Netjistu, that went so deep and dark it would make a proctologist jealous, I never would've solved the dilemma I had on how to showcase the Herr emblems within the portrait bmp. Not to mention I found almost every division symbol I needed which I couldn't seem to do back when I first made the base mod (I think the internet got fatter since then)...So, ignore how crappy the actual pics look but revel in the glory of knowing that one day soon, not real soon, but soonish...like less than 6 months, you'll be able to load up your game and not only choose a division for the Allies but the Axis too. See? It's like Christmas...minus the presents, lights, Santa Claus and Jesus...Ok, it's nothing like Christmas...but it could be if you closed your eyes and pictured this mod wrapped in a bow.

I need sleep.

Mord.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome work and so much appreciated.

But, you know... I've always wondered what we need those portraits for in the first place. In CMx1 I exchanged them for accurate and proper rank insignia and in CMx2 I've never bothered to look at them because the portraits tell me nothing about the unit I've selected on the battlefield.

Which actually brought me a flash of inspiration what else could be done with the portraits. Anyway, you carry on so I can use your updated mod.

With the WW2 version of the (tiny) Canadian flag there could be confusion with other CW flags as they are all rather similar at that size. (The modern one is instantly recognizable.)

Maybe, if those other Commonwealth countries were in CMBN.

Even then, the Canadians were the most numerous of the Commonwealth troops (aside from Britain, obviously).

And the modern flag was not adopted until the late 60's, after the Centennial.

Awesome work and so much appreciated.

But, you know... I've always wondered what we need those portraits for in the first place. In CMx1 I exchanged them for accurate and proper rank insignia and in CMx2 I've never bothered to look at them because the portraits tell me nothing about the unit I've selected on the battlefield.

Which actually brought me a flash of inspiration what else could be done with the portraits. Anyway, you carry on so I can use your updated mod.

Actually, there is a bit of info being displayed that can be registered at a glance, depending on the style you choose. I only included the three Vanilla styles because I know how much everybody loves options in the game (LOL just ask JuJu). Ranks are an impossibility because of the limited nature of the portraits themselves, seeing that they only tell you type, of which we only have four at the most. I wanted to personalize them a bit...though, I have struggled as to whether to show an actual face or not. But the other four folder options will convey as much or as little info as one wants. Here's an example of that...

portraitinfo.jpg

If you look at the Infantry and armored infantry their helmets also convey what troop type they are. I chose a netting helmet for armored and a smooth shell for Infantry. With the Commonwealth ( and thanks to Ben Parks) I chose a plain netting helmet for Armored and his cool ass camoed up variety for infantry.

In the end the portraits make the UI a bit more fun and the units personalized I think the division patches/symbols really bring you deeper historically to the soldiers. But trust me, I rack my brain constantly (even more than that stupid Brit Beret) on how I can convey more info at a one stop shop. After a discussion me and Darknight had I have something in my head to deepen the Canadian and Brit portraits but haven't tested it to see how it looks...plus I MAY have a few other things up my sleeve...or down my pant leg...depending on where I put them.

Mord.

Great stuff! Love the new portraits.

Notice which Panzer Div I chose?

That's the stuff! Excellent work, hilariously posted.

Thanks, man...sleep deprivation. Woo hoo!

Mord, you continue to amaze and entertain me. Great job!

And all that without a rubber chicken! Thanks...I hope they'll be worthwhile when I finally complete them.

With the WW2 version of the (tiny) Canadian flag there could be confusion with other CW flags as they are all rather similar at that size. (The modern one is instantly recognizable.)

Not a problem old sport...as far as I can tell the only other allied nation that may be added would be Free French...if you notice in the Big Flag pics I chose the portion of the Canadian flag that is unique unto itself...I avoided the Brit stripes for that exact reason, confusion. And Darknight has it right, the time period is just too wide and if you saw the lengths I went to to find out the color schemes of some of the Germie emblems that were only in black and white, you'll dig why I just can't allow myself to cuddle in the realm of ahistoricity! Yeah, it's a word, now! It still bothers me I named that Beret mod as Commando instead of Red Devils...so.

Mord.

"I named that Beret mod as Commando instead of Red Devils..."

Yes, it ruins the entire game and I have refused to play any para scenarios until the mod is renamed correctly!

:)

With this crowd that could be truer than you think...

Can't you delete the original and upload a new version with the correct name...if it bothers you that much? ;)

I didn't wanna re-upload it again until I could solve the puzzle of the lods...I actually wanted to add both the Devils and that green beret you made...get them to work proper...It's probably gonna be on my list after I finish this mod.

Mord.

Mord what can I say, this is totally awesome stuff, thanks for all the hard work ....

btw I really like your voices mod for CMBN and thoughts on doing the same for CMCW?

You are welcome! I think you guys will really love it when I get it complete.

I've tried many times with CMSF and outside of GeorgeMC giving me access to his left over voice files, all the volunteers I had, never came through...happened to me like four times I think. Unfortunately, my British accent sounds like an Australian having unnatural relations with a South African and a New Zealander while playing the bag pipes...which for you freaky types isn't a good thing. But believe me I've dreamed of redoing all my voice mods with extra guys and the like. Glad you dig the American one.

They look GOOD!

Thanks, man...that means a lot coming from the King Of All Things Dirty!

Mord.

I figured you'd like that. Thanks, appreciate the praise. I am gonna bust butt to get the Germs and the rest on par with those American portraits.

I am not super smart about all the history aspects like a lot of guys on here but I do try very hard so hopefully when I get this done it'll be a real hit with everyone.

Mord.

Here's a test run of a Herr tanker...There's obvious pixel clean up needed in the bmp but it gives an over all idea of where I am headed. I applied a subtle weave texture to the shield to give the excess black some depth...You probably can't notice it even in the Big Patch pic but it will register in your brain. With shadows applied and the like they came out SWEETEN GRAFFEN GRABBEN DEHOUSEN!!! For all you unwashed who aren't bi-lingual that's German, for cool!

Check it out.

quicktestq.png

@Erwin, at this moment I can't even begin to think about attempting something else...I've got too much work still to do...I appreciate the offer but at the moment I am buried and have some other things lined up. Maybe sometime down the road we can talk about it...LOL how are your neighbors about screaming?

Mord.

This one looks great! Love all the options!!

I for one would love a CW voice mod from you Mord. Your work with the americans for CMBN and us & britts in CMSF are some of the best mods out there.

Understand its hard to get voice actors, but will keep hoping ;) .

Got the test Herr guy exactly how I wanted. Cleaned up the pixels and applied more weave texture to the shield, it really helps define the background behind the face (in the Big Patch pic), adding lots of depth and making the colors look less bright and flat. These actually look even better in bmp form...the Jpeg compressed them a bit too much.

germansgood.jpg

Now that I got the exact design down I gotta start taking screens of the other Germs and testing them, do what I did here, to make sure they are perfect.

I think this is shaping up to be the best graphic mod I have ever done. I am really happy with how test boy shaped up!

@Fizou, thanks, man. I appreciate that.

Mord.

Got the test Herr guy exactly how I wanted. Cleaned up the pixels and applied more weave texture to the shield, it really helps define the background behind the face (in the Big Patch pic), adding lots of depth and making the colors look less bright and flat. These actually look even better in bmp form...the Jpeg compressed them a bit too much.

germansgood.jpg

Now that I got the exact design down I gotta start taking screens of the other Germs and testing them, do what I did here, to make sure they are perfect.

I think this is shaping up to be the best graphic mod I have ever done. I am really happy with how test boy shaped up!

@Fizou, thanks, man. I appreciate that.

Mord.

Probably a daft question but will these go as an accompaniment to Ju Ju's mod?