Sign in to follow this  
pakurek@poczta.onet.pl

New demo crashes at the start

Hi there!

I wanted to play a new demo version, to check how the game "feel" with new module. I have the base game and it works flawlessly (also no problems with SF with all the modules). To my surprise, demo crashes when starting it. Tried to install it in a different location (i have Win XP), the same thing. Running the game in an admin mode or as an ordinary user - the same thing. All I got is the thing on the screenshot below. What could be the problem?

post-32820-141867623671_thumb.jpg

Did the installation for the new demo appear to go OK ? You may want to clear out all of your temp files (manually or with an utility such as CCleaner) and try reinstalling the demo again.

The download for the demo is actually about 751MB and not the 571MB that is stated on the demo page. I got a good download from the Atomicgamer site.

Downloading (from two different locations, file size ok) and installation went without any problems. Tried installing in two different paths (although it is not important because it is Win XP). Still no joy. Frankly, now I'm a little hasitating whether to apply the 1.10 patch to the base game (which is running without a problem).

I have the same problems. I couldnt get the original demo to work either. Mine always freezes at the battlefront.com splash screen. Why want battlefront address this?

I love CM. If I were to buy a hardcopy, do you guys think I would have the same issues?

My pc is brand new Windows 7 build.

I've seen this particular error when the 1.10 demo/game is run on an Athlon XP. Typically the crash will happen immediately in my case (no splash screen comes up). I'm guessing that this may be an issue with an incompatible instruction in the game, possibly SSE2, which the Athlon XP's do not support. The 1.00 Demo works fine, but the 1.10 demo will not and generates the original-poster's error (which is actually an error of '0xc000001D').

If you ARE running an Athlon XP, then you are a bit at the margins in terms of the CPUs that will work with the game. With the 1.10 patch/Commonwealth module it appears that Athlon XP's may not be supported anymore. I double-check to see if there is a desire to work around this or not (since it may be an optimization that we may NOT want to drop).

As for why a brand new Windows 7 build would experience this problem, I don't know. Athlon XP's are no longer sold. The slowest AMD CPU you can purchase new would be a Sempron and the current Sempron's can do SSE2 now.

Thanks for responding. I'm running an AMD Phenom IIx6 10555T 2.8 Ghz. I had the same issue with the original demo. The battlefront.com screen pops up with music then cuts to something like "CMD.EXE experienced a problem".

recon28501 - Your issue obviously isn't one of lack of support for SSE2 that the Athlon XP's are suffering from.

You may want to double-check your security software to make sure it isn't interfering with the demo. You may need to add an 'exception' for the demo executable to see if that helps. However security software interfering with the demo would usually prevent it from running at all (in other words you wouldn't even see the splash screen). What video card and driver do you have installed ? We have seen problems with Radeons and some of the pre-11.5 Catalyst drivers with CMBN. That problem would probably also apply to the demo too. Upgrading to Catalyst 11.5 or later usually resolves that particular issue.

My security software is out of date. My video card is an onboard ATI Radeon 4250HD. I have the most up to date drivers installed. I wonder if its because the vga is onboard?

recon28501 - Your issue obviously isn't one of lack of support for SSE2 that the Athlon XP's are suffering from.

You may want to double-check your security software to make sure it isn't interfering with the demo. You may need to add an 'exception' for the demo executable to see if that helps. However security software interfering with the demo would usually prevent it from running at all (in other words you wouldn't even see the splash screen). What video card and driver do you have installed ? We have seen problems with Radeons and some of the pre-11.5 Catalyst drivers with CMBN. That problem would probably also apply to the demo too. Upgrading to Catalyst 11.5 or later usually resolves that particular issue.

recon28501 - I've run CMBN with the onboard ATI/AMD Radeon 3200 (similar, but slightly older than the integrated 4250), so that shouldn't be the issue.

What you may want to do is to download Driver Sweeper. Then download the latest Catalyst driver for your version of Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit, you will need to know). Now run the Driver Sweeper program and uninstall ONLY the video drivers! You do NOT want to uninstall any chipset drivers or most other drivers with Driver Sweeper since this may make your Windows unbootable. You may need to reboot after this. Once this is done, cancel any attempts by Windows to reinstall the video drivers (your display may be running at a smaller resolution, making everything appear larger). Now install the Catalyst 12.3 driver you downloaded and reboot once that is done.

This MIGHT get the game going. I've seen an occasional problem where uninstalling ALL of the video drivers and reinstall them from scratch has solved a problem with CMSF/CMBN.

Sign in to follow this