Sign in to follow this  
Boo Radley

Hot keys no longer work

This happened a couple of days ago. Looking at the hotkeys in the UI, I noticed the letter designation that's up in the corner of each button was no longer there.

I went into the file and opened up the txt file for the keys and some had the default letter designation, but other didn't. So I put letters in the missing areas, closed out of the txt file, exited the game, restarted the game and still had no hotkeys. I then rebooted the computer, opened up CMBN and... still had no hotkeys. The number pad still works and clicking the buttons on the screen with my cursor works, but if I hit "N" or any of the other hotkeys on my keyboard, I get nothing.

Any ideas?

I'm on a Mac, but regardless, I think you should have files in your game directory called:

/content/resources/data/hotkeys.txt

/content/resources/data/hotkeys_alt.txt

That's what gets used for key assignments...

I'm guessing, but worth having a look ... :)

Regards,

Doug

This happened a couple of days ago. Looking at the hotkeys in the UI, I noticed the letter designation that's up in the corner of each button was no longer there.

I went into the file and opened up the txt file for the keys and some had the default letter designation, but other didn't. So I put letters in the missing areas, closed out of the txt file, exited the game, restarted the game and still had no hotkeys. I then rebooted the computer, opened up CMBN and... still had no hotkeys. The number pad still works and clicking the buttons on the screen with my cursor works, but if I hit "N" or any of the other hotkeys on my keyboard, I get nothing.

Any ideas?

Make sure you have no double entries. Also check the hotkeys file again, without having CMBN open.

A quick bit of additional advice: I always make sure I keep a copy of the hot-keys file saved elsewhere on my Mac whenever upgrading or patching the game - you never know if it will be overwritten and reset by the upgrade.

On the PC side, the installer checks for any existing hotkeys.txt file and makes a backup automatically (this started with CMSF1.21 IIRC) before writing the new hotkeys.txt file (if there is a new one, that is). Not sure how it works on the Mac side when you patch, though. But in any case, backing that file up is probably never a bad idea (and the Readme says so).

Here's a screen capture of what the text file looks like. I have no idea if this is a normal looking configuration or not, but none of the keyboard keys work, other than the numberpad keys.

And another thing I just remembered.... the into screen no longer comes up. I get a black screen and then it goes to the menu. Both things began at the same time. THE EXACT SAME TIME, I TELL YOU!!!!!

post-7250-141867623655_thumb.jpg

Here's a screen capture of what the text file looks like. I have no idea if this is a normal looking configuration or not, but none of the keyboard keys work, other than the numberpad keys.

Wouldn't it be easier to upload your hotkeys.txt than a screenshot? If you want I can see if I can still find mine.

Heck, I don't know. Probably? I just wanted to know if it looked normal with all those spaces between things.

I'm an old man, Stikky, I don't know all these newfangled computer thingies. And how would hotkeys have anything to do with the intro screen no longer appearing? Eh? EH???

Heck, I don't know. Probably? I just wanted to know if it looked normal with all those spaces between things.

I'm an old man, Stikky, I don't know all these newfangled computer thingies. And how would hotkeys have anything to do with the intro screen no longer appearing? Eh? EH???

Here are the original hotkeys files. You should probably manipulate them to your suiting. Make sure to keep the spacing and layout and not use two keys for the same thing etc...

As for the intro screen, maybe page 197 in the manual can solve things there for you.

alternative hotkeys.txt

hotkeys-original.txt

Here are the original hotkeys files. You should probably manipulate them to your suiting. Make sure to keep the spacing and layout and not use two keys for the same thing etc...

As for the intro screen, maybe page 197 in the manual can solve things there for you.

So I would replace the .txt files I presently have with these? Sounds like a plan. As for the intro screen, the trouble shooting section in the manual talks about the intro video, and this isn't a video, but just the Battlefront intro screen with the tank firing at night. I'll play around with it when I get home and see what happens.

In any event, thanks Stikky. I don't know why the Justicar says those horrible things about you.

So I would replace the .txt files I presently have with these? Sounds like a plan. As for the intro screen, the trouble shooting section in the manual talks about the intro video, and this isn't a video, but just the Battlefront intro screen with the tank firing at night. I'll play around with it when I get home and see what happens.

In any event, thanks Stikky. I don't know why the Justicar says those horrible things about you.

Yes basically, just overwrite your old hotkeys file. That should do the trick. Once you've modified it to your heart's content BACK IT UP.

I believe the intro screen IS the tank firing at night. And tell Joe he's a big old meanie.

Okay, that didn't work. Replacing the hotkeys txt file did nothing and holding down the "V" key during startup just gave me the "bonk" sound my computer gives when I'm doing something wrong.

But here's a new question. Where exactly, within the game folders should these files be stored?

Because here's where they are in my game.

Within the main CMBN folder, there are 4 sub folders (Along with a bunch of separate files we won't talk about).

These 4 sub folders are called Data, Game Files, Misc, & Mod Tools.

Within the Data folder is my Z folder and 3 files named Normandy v100A.brz, Normandy v100b.brz and Normandy v101.brz.

Within the Game Files folder are the campaigns, incoming and outgoing Email folders, the QB maps, Saved Games and Scenarios.

Within the Misc folder, which holds shortcut and Icon files, is another sub folder named Data. Inside this folder are my hotkey documents and the Intro.wmv

Is this where they should be, or should they be in the first Data sub folder, mentioned above?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Within the Data folder is my Z folder and 3 files named Normandy v100A.brz, Normandy v100b.brz and Normandy v101.brz.

This is your actual data folder. Your hotkeys file belongs in here.

Within the Misc folder, which holds shortcut and Icon files, is another sub folder named Data. Inside this folder are my hotkey documents and the Intro.wmv

I don't know where this sub folder came from, but both the hotkeys and intro.wmv files should be in your actual data folder.

That did it! Moving the files into the main Data folder solved the problem. I have no idea how that sub folder also named data was created or how everything got moved into the Misc folder, but everything is now where it should be and I have my hot keys back.

Thank you, gentlemen.

It's a PC, Michael. An old, old, crappy PC. But it still works, so I haven't replaced it.

Sign in to follow this