Operation Deadstick: Benouville map sneak preview

Excellent map, very atmospheric. I noticed you made virtually all the Allied units Elite and Crack. With high command and morale ratings too boot. No offense, but do you think this was wise? In the previous stand alone US scenario the player ends up with an army of Terminators or Audie Murphys and plays out in a most curious manner. I believe BF intended that such exalted ratings should be dealt out sparingly.

Yes, that is a good point: test playing this campaign I realized I had to make that choice to get the historical results.

Besides I also believe in this specific case you really had those levels of training and experience: i.e. the Ox&Bucks D Co was indeed an Elite unit, while the 5th Paras were actual Veterans of an Elite Division. The Warwicks were considered Crack troops. On the other side except for the newly reformed 21st Pz Div that had a cadre of Veterans Officers and NCOs the remaining German Units were Green if not Conscripts.

Even so in my testing I was able to score victory using the Germans, so I also believe there is some very important change and improvement in CMX2 in respect to the CMX1 troops' levels; I don't think you can compare them now.

You can brake even Elite troops.

...I also believe there is some very important change and improvement in CMX2 in respect to the CMX1 troops' levels; I don't think you can compare them now. You can brake [sic] even Elite troops.

BFC, is this true? Did that get changed/improved between versions?

I thought a consensus had developed on the forum recently that for best and most realistic in-game results, regular troops should really be classified in the game as GREEN and veteran troops should be classified REGULAR, etc.

BFC, is this true? Did that get changed/improved between versions?

Then, as now, there's no wrong or right - it's mostly a matter of taste and opinion. The words themselves don't really matter, it's the kind of behaviour that you're after that does. Some folk prefer the chaos and unpredictability (and the need to babysit) Green troops, while others like the gung-ho-ness of crack and elite.

5 Para? They weren't even in 6th AB Div :confused: 7 Para were, and were at the bridges, but I don't think they were vets ('vets' in the sense of 'been in combat before')

5th Parachute Brigade / 6th AB Div to which the 7th Battalion belonged: the men forming this Btn were coming from the Somerset Light Infantry Rgt, so I presume there were quite a few veterans from many battles fought in France, North Africa, Italy, Burma.

Sure the 7th Btn was fighting his first battle in Normandy as a unit.

I thought a consensus had developed on the forum recently that for best and most realistic in-game results, regular troops should really be classified in the game as GREEN and veteran troops should be classified REGULAR, etc.

As I wrote, I did just presume there may be some difference regarding it: IMO the level of the troops in CMX1 was much more relevant and had been discussed since then; it's also true you can still easily notice the difference, yet I have the impression of a much more realistic behavior now. Maybe it's just my impression.

• 4 months later...

I resurrect this thread since I'm thinking of making a v.1.1 version for this Campaign: I've read now it would be possible to include modded uniforms in the v.2 Engine, and that would fit perfectly here to mix the Commandos and Paras, but I wasn't able to find any relevant information in the manual.

I would appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction!

TIA

As I see it is not longer so simple as before!

Now the difference is, that within the commonwealth-forces the specific troops share the same modell (before patch 2.00 every nation has it own modell).

So if you for example change the helmet of the polish troops to a beret, all regular commonwealth-troops will wear a beret.

And the specific commonwealth-troops (e.g. british) have within no uniform-selection (exept for the nation).

The only way I see at the moment is to try to give the british paratroopers a beret and change then the canadian to commandos (with green beret)...

But don't know at the moment, if this is still possible...

Maybe someone other knows more...

Hope this helps (and was understandable...my english is not very well).

Greetings, alex

Yep, I believe I understood the problems regarding these issues, alex: it's just you have to apply the trial and error method and see what comes.

My point is that when you read the new 2.0 features (all of them MOST welcomed, thanks! :) ) there is a specific point where in the Editor you should be able to select Special Uniforms for specific units, so that you may include (?) this option in designing a specific scenery....

I admit I haven't as yet opened the Editor, so possibly is just as simple as that: looking for the option when assigning units to the battle...

I wasn't able to find in the manual a proper paragraph or chapter dealing with the needed procedures/requirements to implement this very nice option.

Of course we also have the problem of MODs compatibility with the Default system as well as with the relative changes brought with 2.0, but I'm positive it would be a great stride forward...

I still cannot find how to assign uniforms to specific units in the scenario Editor?

Admittedly 2.0 is out since just a few days now and I installed it without yet extensively playing it around, but I still was hoping someone would kindly point me on the right direction about this feature:

- Ability to assign special uniform types for select units types on a unit by unit basis.

I cannot find any reference in the manual on how to do it, or a button somewhere in the Editor.

Any help would be much appreciated.

TIA

Hi,

I tested the helmet-beret-change and it works.

My commonwealth-paratroopers are wearing red berets now.

And without hex-editing!

BUT: Now all commonwealth paratroopers are wearing the same beret (british and canadian).

And before the install of MG it should be removed because of the (propably) polnish paratroopers...

Greetings, alex

Good to know waffelmann: I will wait and see to test other uniforms sets if they work with 2.0.

More than the Red Berets I would like to see the Green Berets in one battle, but I'm afraid you cannot have both Red & Green berets at the same time, unless you do change the battle orders.

I still have to re-catch up with those Mods and threads we've discussed this possibility...

• 8 months later...
Still alive and kicking... (not).

At the mo' I'm busy on a few other things: I still have to finish playin' a single battle with FI but I also have quite a few ideas to create some on that theater.

So many things to do and so short a time.

Cheers

Pleased to hear from you GVT :)