Scenario handicapping

I read in one of the posts that there will be a scenario handicapping feature in the final release and that it will consist of a +/- adjustment to unit numbers(no new units types). This sounds like a great feature, especially for replaying a scenario against the AI. But how does it work? Do you know or can you specify what the handicap is? Is it random? All of the above!?

Regards,

Stryker

Guest Big Time Software

When you start the scenario you are given the option to +/- the AI in terms of number of units. You specify a percentage and CM then somewhat randomly adds/subtracts units based on purchase cost. I say "somewhat randomly" because CM does smartly spread purchases out so that the AI doesn't get, say, 10 extra units of the same type, but instead a mix to the degree possible.

The units added will ALWAYS be ones already in the scenario. For example, if you increase the AI (US Player) it will always get a US unit AND a duplicate of something assigned to the scenario by the scenario designer. So if the force originally has only four Hellcats for its armored support it will never get anything BUT Hellcats as extra units (if even that).

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 12-31-99).]

Steve,

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like you thought through the handicapping feature pretty well. The AI is good even in the demo (especially compared to other games), but I doubt it can ever be made to compete on an even basis with a person. I think the handicapping feature will really help make playing against the AI that much more competitive and enjoyable.

Regards,

Styker

Guest Big Time Software

I just played a DYO game (i.e. randomly generated) and it kicked my ass right off the map smile.gif Nah, it isn't perfect, but if you screw up the likelyhood of defeat is almost certain. In my case I moved one platoon too late, and another one too early. Seeing as I only had two platoons to begin with, there wasn't much of a chance I could make good on those minor mistakes. Freaking AI could have made my life a LOT easier if it didn't get its HMG42s into firing position on the turn in question smile.gif

Steve