Japanese Army Mods

"Jap" is a slang term these days as you know, although I'm sure you don't intend it that way. I encourage folks to either spell out "Japanese" or use IJA (Imperial Japanese Army) where possible.

I'm not the hypersensitive PC type or anything but I'd love to get some Japanese (or Korean) players engaged here if possible, so it would be good not to be greeting them with racist epithets, even unintentional.

Your other points are really good but I'll have to say more later.

I applaud you excellent post LLF. It would be nice to see Japanese,Koreans or Chinese guys joining the forum.

I doubt the poster meant any offence. I wonder what sort of ethic mix we have among this

games fans?

I may be wrong but I am guessing a very high proportion are white European or White American.

Not me, I am half Afghan/half English. So I have done my bit for ethnic diversity :-)

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd also guess that extreme white guyness is the rule here, especially on the forums. But I always wondered about the "Tamiya factor" in Japan.... ISTR miniatures wargaming has a long and rich history there. As Steve has noted, CM is as much a digitization of the tabletop miniatures tradition as it is the Squad Leader boardgaming one. And go is as ancient a pastime there as chess is in the West.

If we can find a way to get a reasonable looking and behaving IJA infantry force going via model swapping, I think some talented grogs and modders might come out of the woodwork.

I'd love to get some well-read IJA grogs contributing, although I also fear they'd be prone to espouse a Steiner14 apologist ideology. The IJA accomplished some remarkable feats of arms, albeit in the service of a brutal, self-deluding regime. And the vaunted bushido code did as much to impair as to help their performance on all fronts. But I'd like to learn more about what worked for them tactically and what didn't, via CM. There's a lot of mythology floating around on both sides.

I'd also guess that extreme white guyness is the rule here, especially on the forums. But I always wondered about the "Tamiya factor" in Japan.... ISTR miniatures wargaming has a long and rich history there. As Steve has noted, CM is as much a digitization of the tabletop miniatures tradition as it is the Squad Leader boardgaming one. And go is as ancient a pastime there as chess is in the West.

If we can find a way to get a reasonable looking and behaving IJA infantry force going via model swapping, I think some talented grogs and modders might come out of the woodwork.

I'd love to get some well-read IJA grogs contributing, although I also fear they'd be prone to espouse a Steiner14 apologist ideology. The IJA accomplished some remarkable feats of arms, albeit in the service of a brutal, self-deluding regime. And the vaunted bushido code did as much to impair as to help their performance on all fronts. But I'd like to learn more about what worked for them tactically and what didn't, via CM. There's a lot of mythology floating around on both sides.

White guyness aint a problem, what I would be asking is, how do we get other ethnicities playing this game? This would expand it and it would grow more it popular.

Surely you do not have to be white of Anglo Saxon origin to enjoy this fantastic game.

It is truly a hidden gem.

White guyness aint a problem

Glad to hear that!:)

What I liked about game forums is the international flavor, and I agree it would be good to get more ethnicities involved. Without game forums like this, I'd just be another hick from Wisconsin. Now I'm a hick from Wisconsin who gets to interact with people world-wide. I truly enjoy that. Even with blokes from Yorkshire!

Glad to hear that!:)

What I liked about game forums is the international flavor, and I agree it would be good to get more ethnicities involved. Without game forums like this, I'd just be another hick from Wisconsin. Now I'm a hick from Wisconsin who gets to interact with people world-wide. I truly enjoy that. Even with blokes from Yorkshire!

Wisconsin? BFC are letting people from Wisconsin on this forum? wonders never cease ;)

The allies are rushing off the beach mjkerner. What is your assignment and location?

Yes, they let folks from Maine on here too.....couldn't believe it. Believe it or not, I am half black!!! And the other half is German, like third generation, serious conflict of my inner self........LOL

It is a good place to meet lots of different people and not have to shake their hands ;):)

By the way, to keep this on point, no luck yet getting CMSF trees to show, but I had no problem with CM:A trees to show. Need to rethink the file structure.

Para, what beach are you lounging around on? I can arrange to send you a package. Just mail me your coordinates and I guarantee speedy delivery!

By the way, to keep this on point, no luck yet getting CMSF trees to show, but I had no problem with CM:A trees to show. Need to rethink the file structure.

Para, what beach are you lounging around on? I can arrange to send you a package. Just mail me your coordinates and I guarantee speedy delivery!

:)

I might be here for a while wolfsschanze, Ketrzyn, Poland. Drop me as many surprise gifts as you like. You can also send some stuff to the Chancellery and the Reichstag, Berlin.

Awesome! I haven't done anything more on this project myself -- no time to figure out the hex coder thingy. My limited CM time is on my CMSF Baba Amr project. But if anyone can figure out any model swapping secrets for CMBNCW, please post it here! That includes the developers -- it's not like these tinkerings steal any bread from your mouths, and who knows? We might surface a new market for this game....

Is that Iwo Jima?

no it is a small version of angaur

here you can find detailed informations - it was definitely not a fight one wants to simulate in cmbn:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-P-Approach/USA-P-Approach-21.html

The 2d Battalion gained 150 yards to the north and 250 to the west by 1000 hours

At 0530 the Angaur Fire Support Group started its bombardment, employing for the most part slow, methodical area fire rather than shooting at specific targets. The fire was characterized by the 81st Division as being "very satisfactory,"11 and it accounted for about 40 percent of all naval shells thrown at Angaur from 12 through 17 September . The bombardment continued beyond the scheduled hour

but with the lack of jungle like undergrowth advance will be much faster i guess