Japanese Army Mods

@coondog

i just found out that you can swap the uk-infantry-soldier model with the airborne one.

are you done with the ija for now or would it be possible to adjust your textures to the airborne model.

and one more thing i was thinking about was that we should use the canadian slot instead of the uk one because then it would be possible to recreate the burma campaign

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@coondog

i just found out that you can swap the uk-infantry-soldier model with the airborne one.

are you done with the ija for now or would it be possible to adjust your textures to the airborne model.

and one more thing i was thinking about was that we should use the canadian slot instead of the uk one because then it would be possible to recreate the burma campaign

Yea, ill start working on it.

Im gonna try to convert everything japanese over to the germans.

If the switch over to germans works out its gonna give us japanese officers and higher (puttee's) or leg wraps.

johlw.jpg

i really like what you show us but if you switch them to the germans you would loose the knee mortar plus the ability to split the squad up into three teams.

and you would end up with a lot of submachine guns and mgs.

maybe you could use the german skeleton for the british or canadian forces

Canadian, polish and british forces have their own files for uniforms and helmets but share weapon and gear files, With the mod in place and in battle both sides are using 98k rifles and japanese marked gear. Looks like the only way to use british forces against japanese forces is to convert the japanese over to germans so they can get their lee enfield and own gear back. Any suggestions?

it is a hard decision

here are my pros and cons for the germans:

german would have panzerfausts

mg34 (luftwaffe pioneer) has 50 rounds instead of 30 rounds of the type 96

rof is almost twice as high

germans only splitable into two sections (bad for defense)

no knee mortars

more smgs than cw forces for example sniper and breach team

pro:

german infantry gun

smaller calibre at guns

if you go for the germans than i would suggest to use luftwaffe pioneers. They have only one mg34 and mp40 per squad. and not that many panzerfausts

One thing I noticed. If you pick Assault and choose British Army as the attacker and American Army as defender, the icons for the Marines become the Japanese ones since it sees the British Army as Allied and the American Army as Axis.

Maybe if I choose the American Army as defender first and choose the German Army as Attacker and then switch to British army, the choice for Defender will be Allied.

ok my angaur map is ready for testing. there is no briefing and there are no flavour objects yet. if you are interested i will send you the dropbox link via pm.

the zip file contains the map and a small modpack with a background jungle sound, a new texture for a building and railway tracks without a bed. plus an alpha channel skybox

the mission is one reinforced ija battalion vs 2 battalions of the 81st wildcats. so it is pretty huge.

in my opinion the best part of the mission are the first 20 minutes. 10 minutes of naval artillery bombardement and then 10 minutes of airstrikes

One thing I noticed. If you pick Assault and choose British Army as the attacker and American Army as defender, the icons for the Marines become the Japanese ones since it sees the British Army as Allied and the American Army as Axis.

Maybe if I choose the American Army as defender first and choose the German Army as Attacker and then switch to British army, the choice for Defender will be Allied.

i tested your suggestion but unfortunately it did not work. if you set up a blue on blue qb the attacker is always allied and the defender axis. this would not matter if all icons are different for all nations - but there are some icons like fo command and sniper that are shared between all red and blue forces. so i could rename the icons to blue but this would mean that you have to manually switch icon mods.

Just to see what it would look like, I renamed the British Airborne "skeleton" (.mds) files to British Infantry in my Z folder, so the Japanese troops would have the longer para blouse. I then renamed CoonDog's uniform textures to Airborne. Although the textures don't map cleanly (e.g. the collars don't fit and the thousand-stitch-belts go too low), I've gotta say, I like the look of the longer tunic better -- just looks more hetai to me than those (unflattering) British trousers. No disrespect to CoonDog for his awesome work.

IJA_Para.jpg

What about you guys?

Here's an even better look -- copy-paste the German LW Camo skeleton (.mds) files to the Z folder, then rename them to UK infantry. Also rename CoonDog's IJA uniforms and boots to LW camo.

Again here, while CoonDog's IJA uniform textures are distorted, the cut of the German LW camo uniforms looks even better than the Para uniforms -- especially the baggy jodhpur trousers and jackboots, which look like calf-length puttees.

IJA_LWCamo.jpg

A side effect of mixing a UK infantry base with German skeleton files is that the British web gear is no longer showing up, although helmets and weapons are unaffected. That's actually a mixed plus to some extent, since it gives the IJA troops a "combat load" look (as opposed to them fighting in 45C heat with full packs and dunnage). I can probably restore the pouches and webgear with some fiddling in the hex editor.

If I can play around with the hex editor some more, it looks like we could use the Polish infantry as a base, repointing to German LW uniforms, gear and faces modded to IJA. The Polish voices can become Japanese. I respectfully disagree with trying to use Germans as Japanese -- their formations and weapons were totally different. Stealing their wireframes is another matter....

That could theoretically free up the British Army to be British again for Burma-Malaya enthusiasts, although the Brits might need to carry K98s or sumfink.

Success!

JungleTerrain.jpg

1. I finally figured out how to get CMSF palms to appear (they replace deciduous tree C).

2. By swapping in palm fronds, I also turned the poplar tree B into a "Captain Cook" tropical pine. The unmodded) regular pine (E) is good as is -- it would be seen in hilly areas even on the equator.

3. Bush B now has great big leaves. I might do the same to the remaining deciduous trees A and D to see how it looks, and also play with the hedgerows.

I will bundle all this work up into a Jungle Foliage pack once I'm sure it doesn't bugga up the game.

No problem. Here is my current thinking:

Tree A (big deciduous) - dryland eucalyptus tree (bigger leaves)

Tree B (tall poplar) - swap in CMSF palm tree, per your request

Tree C (big deciduous) - leave as is, maybe darken the bark some (tropical and mossy)

Tree D (small deciduous/orchard) - maybe slightly bigger/waxier leaves

Tree E (tall pine) - leave as is, maybe make needles yellower and drier (pines tend to be on the low rainfall sides of islands and mountain ranges).

Bush A - palm fronds to create spiky leaves

Bush B (tall) - big leaves

Bush C (short) - leave as is

Brush doodads (e.g. heavy forest floor) - try to add some ferns and banana leaves

Log doodad - dark and mossy (although this may screw up the look of stuff like bunkers, so I need to test it)

Hedge - as is, may enlarge leaves/add flowers to make it look like ivy or bougainvillea

Bocage - leave as is, maybe slightly bigger leaves (both in PTO and ETO map design, I sprinkle randomly angled gapped segments in forested areas to truncate LOS into/through what should be fairly inpenetrable jungle and thicket, and improve infantry cover value).

These mods may take a while to finish. Anyone who wants is welcome to help. Comments?

P.S. So if "Little Angaur" works out, will you tackle a full-sized Angaur, or maybe just the northern part and heights?

No problem.

These mods may take a while to finish. Anyone who wants is welcome to help. Comments?

P.S. So if "Little Angaur" works out, will you tackle a full-sized Angaur, or maybe just the northern part and heights?

thank you - i am looking forward to this mod

i do not think i will redo angaur in 1:1 - i have to finish this map before summer because i wont have much time in summer.

instead of a 1:1 angaur i was thinking of a "little iwo jima"

Very nice work on the Angaur map, although it does tax my 2004 vintage HP.

I was just reading up on the Battle of Makin Atoll -- the Yellow Beach assault appears quite suitable for the CM scale; the island was only about 150 yards wide in spots. Alligators are the key missing item here...

I may also see if I can mod up the haystack objects into some reasonable looking banana trees or bushy screw pines.

EDIT: Makin Atoll stuff moved to separate thread

Heres a problem im having using the canadians for japanese. No matter what, the 76mm gun crew, 76mm ammo bearers and machine gun crew will use the base game helmets but everyboby else including the smaller at gun crew and ammo bearers uses the correct japanese helmets. I noticed when using the regular japanese mod applied (using the british for japanese) if you then choose canadian or polish their same crews were using the japanese helmets but the rest were using their normal base game helmets. I cant figure this one out.

Heres some pics using the canadians for japanese.

CMNormandy2012-05-2605-05-48-31.jpg

CMNormandy2012-05-2605-04-03-86.jpg

CMNormandy2012-05-2605-03-46-35.jpg

I love the Pacific war mods, but I can't help but think it would be better to use the Canadians rather than the British as the base on which to build the Japanese. The problem with using the British is that one then cannot model battles between British and Japanese forces, such as in Burma. One is really restricted to US vs. Japanese fighting. The Canadian forces are almost identical to the British, and so the mods already created would transfer over nicely, needing only for the files to be renamed.