Japanese Army Mods

I also started some USMC in progress after seeing this thread:

One question, I mixed in some guys with green pants instead of camo for variety, was that actually common or should I scrap that? Also... white undershirts?

Sweaty just for LongLeftFlank (not great atm, still working on it)

Aww, I can smell it from here! :P

As for the T-shirts, absolutely, but the cut in your sample makes it looks like a dress shirt. I suggest the crew neck go across the chest, not follow the tunic collar. I think the CMA Soviet Airborne wear the traditional striped sailor shirts that will give you the concept.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unfortunately there appears to be little I can do about the undershirt, it appears to be modeled that way.

I did some overhauling, upped the resolution and made some camo and HBT cloth textures instead of using stuff from photos to get it a little sharper. However, I suspect my camo coloring and sage green might be off a bit color-wise.

sageGreen.jpg

camo1.jpg

camo2.jpg

Again, awesome!

Nobody's had any luck model swapping a palm tree in from CMSF or CMA, have they? PTO won't look right without them.

Also, those gray European tree trunks are going to need to be darkened and covered with moss or vines. I'll try to take that one onboard this weekend instead of just mouthing off here. The Jungle Is Neutral, baby! (great book btw)

They might offer a bit more cover as they would act like european trees, but it might not be a big deal. I don't see why it wouldn't work, although I don't have my CMSF installed to test.

Another thought is retexturing wheat fields as very tall grass or thick brush. Can you place trees in wheat fields? If so you may be able to get the effect of thick jungle with the wheat retextured.

palm trees would be nice but they are not essential because as far as i experienced here in taiwan and in thailand they are only a minority. more important would be large shrubs for the undergrowth.

some mangroves would be great as well.

and if someone could make a coral rock and cliff texture i would take it

Instead of the regular British infantry, have you tried using the Airborne troops? Their tunics cover the hips, in a more Japanese cut. Also, a strap diagonally across the front appears to be fairly standard.

Just bought the cw module for this mod and i have to say, that there are way to much sten guns in the para squad - regular rifle matches better imo.

Just bought the cw module for this mod and i have to say, that there are way to much sten guns in the para squad - regular rifle matches better imo.

Yeah, the Japanese didn't field a whole lot of SMGs as far as I know. You can however swap the regular infantry model for the airborne one, so that you keep the regular squad equipment but get the appearance of the airborne.

Fixed some camo stretching on the arms, new cloth texture and wrinkles, and camo colors seem better.

Marines1.jpg

Marines3.jpgMarines2.jpg

Model swapping seems not to work as cleanly in CMBN, Ryujin, so if you can work some magic on the Japanese that would be awesome. CoonDog's done awesome helmets and faces but the cut of the Brit infantry uniforms is all wrong for IJA, especially the gaitered boots... the German tunics and trousers are much closer and their jackboots could be modded to puttees. Also, the Type 99 service rifle looks a lot more like a K98 than a SMLE. Here's hoping!

But you do have regular Brits, right? As 666 pointed out, the Paras have too many Stens per squad to accurately represent regular IJA or SNLF. Do I need to buy you a module? :)

I was thinking of using the para models on the regular Brit squad. Since it would look more like their round helmet. Although they did have head wear that looked like the British helmet a bit. Though I'm no expert on the Japanese forces, the Brit airborne model appears to be the closest and maybe more common, as far as I can tell. They also have a looser, baggier look to the jacket.

japanese-soldiers-ww2-second-world-war-013.jpg

Imperial%20Japanese.jpg

I'll pick it up eventually and in the mean time Coon Dog seems to be making good progress.

More great work, guys!

Some great unedited footage here of US attacks on caves in Peleliu and Okinawa. The "unedited" part is especially important -- no History Channel mix-and-match BS editing here.

Nice spooky Blade-runneresque synth score as well.

Not the twitching heaps of bodies and hand to hand dramatics shown on "The Pacific" (I enjoyed the series and all, but they really threw authenticity out the freekin' window in favour of some Hollywood liberal's desire to rehash the opening scene of SPR over and over and over again), but the slow, systematic advance of small combat details, preferably supported by armour, to isolate, incinerate and entomb an enemy who rarely showed his face at this stage of the war.

For those interested, here is a US documentary on Okinawa made in an earlier era, when actual veterans would be watching. Footage and narration is vastly superior to the modern stuff. Highly recommended.

Personally, I find it appalling that the Obama Administration is caving in to local pressure to vacate Kadena -- these kids paid for that land with their blood. Both the US and the Japanese may come to regret it.