Graphics Problem

I am attaching a couple of screenshots to show a graphic problem that I am encountering. The first one is of a plowed field. Note that when I view the field perpendicular to the plow lines I get the wavy distortion. When I view facing the same direction as the plow lines there is no distortion. The 2nd screenshot is of a vehicle. Note the angled lines on the side. I get these lines unless I view a vehicle from a specific angle.

My system is a 3.16 Dual Core/4 MB Ram/XP/HIS 1GIG HD Radeon 6870 video card.

I have tried two settings:

Vertical Sync - On

3D Model Q - Best

3D Text Q - Best

Antialias - on

Vertical Sync - Off

3D Model Q - Best

3D Texture Q - Better

Antialias - On

I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same problem and what if any is the fix? Thanks.

post-11507-141867623653_thumb.jpg

post-11507-141867623654_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion but it didn't correct the problem. Maybe I need an even faster processor and faster video card. I just bought the video card last week so that I could play this game. The distortion in the plowed field does not occur for the area that is closer to where the camera is positioned. Its only more in the distance. Anyway, its not a game breaker so I quess I will just have to live with it.

What people are reporting with 1.10's shadows is possibly a bug. We'll be looking into it.

Moire problems are incredibly hard to eliminate, especially when you can put the camera *anywhere*.

The shadows in this game are *not* poorly implemented. Quite the opposite. We don't, however, pour heaps of CPU and GPU time into them, for hopefully obvious reasons. Shadows can get expensive very, very fast, and we don't have a whole lot of CPU/GPU time to spare.

Pay attention to the shadows in modern first-person shooters and you'll see the same effects (as you did in 1.01, say) unless they use an entirely different shadowing technique, most of which are either a) much more expensive or B) don't work at all in outdoors scenes. Or both. Unhappily, Combat Mission's free-roaming camera and dynamic day / night lighting makes it that much easier to see the rough edges of shadow generation, most of which have to do with camera and light angles.

The shadows in this game are *not* poorly implemented. Quite the opposite. We don't, however, pour heaps of CPU and GPU time into them, for hopefully obvious reasons. Shadows can get expensive very, very fast, and we don't have a whole lot of CPU/GPU time to spare.

I would say that (and this dates back to CMSF) the shadows are average, but not great. This is especially true with shadows as they are cast on vehicles.