Sign in to follow this  
STORMCROW-UK

Commonwealth Forces problems on MAC

Hi

Seeing a weird issue once CF is installed. In short despite seeing a version number of 1.10 I don't see

a) Any of the CF battles (I can see the files in the directory but not in game)

B) Any of the CF campaigns (Same as the battles)

c) In quick battle the service and combat forces values are non-sensical e.g. IG ammo carrier for service

I don't have any mods installed, I've repaired permissions beforehand and I've even trashed the whole CM:BN install and reinstalled a fresh copy (v1.0 straight to 1.10) and exactly the same thing reoccurred.

Stumped to think what it might be, is it possibly a licence issue?

The battles are all prefixed by CW, but the two campaigns are simply known as "The Scottish Corridor" and "Kampfgruppe Engel".

Phil (or anyone else from support), if you're about could you look at the response I posted to the above ticket 5 days ago. I can't play the game in the meantime and I'd appreciate a resolution.

It sounds like a permissions issue. I'll take a look at your ticket. Sorry for the delay... we're all very busy at the moment.

Edit: Do you have any mods installed?

After purchasing and installing Commonwealth Forces today, I have exactly the same problem. Ticket is FPW-807302.

I took a look at the file permissions in the scenario and campaign folder and this really seems to be a permission and/or ownership problem. CW files are owned by root user, whereas CM:BN files are owned by the account user (me).

Hope the support finds a solution for this...

Just a "heads up" for interested parties...

I changed the ownership of the new scenario files to match the older ones in the Scenario folder by using command line magic ("sudo chown <username> CW*"). Afterwards the scenarios were available in the game!

There definitely is something wrong with the file ownership and/or file permissions. I also added this information in the ticket.

After purchasing and installing Commonwealth Forces today, I have exactly the same problem.

I took a look at the file permissions in the scenario and campaign folder and this really seems to be a permission and/or ownership problem. CW files are owned by root user, whereas CM:BN files are owned by the account user (me).

Interesting, but I don't believe it's a generic Mac issue. I have CMBN and CW, installed both via 'normal' installs - default location, etc, and have experienced no issues with finding campaigns or battles.

Curious.

Depending on OS version, installer version, base permissions, and the phases of the moon, OSX decides what the end permissions are going to be for any given user. We don't have a whole lot of control over that. There are a heap of possible reasons for the resulting permissions being wrong, and unfortunately we can't control very many of them.

You could, however, provide a script that checks those permissions and tells you which are wrong and what they should be.

Just a thought :)

Interesting, but I don't believe it's a generic Mac issue. I have CMBN and CW, installed both via 'normal' installs - default location, etc, and have experienced no issues with finding campaigns or battles.

Curious.

Hm, are you by any chance using your administrator account as your user account? Or has your user account administration privileges?

Another test today (starting a CW battle) showed that the CW modules are also inaccessible for the application, resulting in an empty battlefield (no icons, no tanks, no soldiers were visible). No surprise, given that the modules folder has the 'wrong' ownership, too.

Like you, Herr Oberst, I installed CMBN and CW in the default location ('/Applications/CM Battle for Normandy/'), the installer reported no problem whatsoever. I had to enable the installation with the administrator password, so the installer had system privileges to copy the files into /Applications. But this is the way it's supposed to be. Nothing unusual. Every other installer does and requires the same procedure.

It just can't be right, that the ownership of the files within the CM application must match my account user. This contradicts the concept of multiple user accounts accessing and using the /Applications folder.

Phil, I reckon that developing for the Mac OS platform is fundamentally different from developing for Windows. But every other software (including games from Steam, the App Store and other sources) I'm using on my mac works without having problems with access privileges. I can't accept that this problem should be the fault of the OS. There must be a flaw in the way CMBN accesses it's application folder contents.

I'm following Battlefront since the first CM, bought CMBB and CMAK and really enjoy CMBN. And I thank everybody at Battlefront for bringing CM to the Mac OS platform! So I really hope that there is a solution for this problem!

Hm, are you by any chance using your administrator account as your user account? Or has your user account administration privileges?

I am always an Admin on my machines (heck, for the whole household), and may have avoided your issue.

FYI the permissions for CM are Me: read and write, Admin and Everyone: read only

In the Finder choose the CM folder, right click->Informations (or Cmd-I). At the bottom you can see the permissions. Change to the above and apply to all subfolders (gear symbol).

I don't know if that helps you but then all permissions are set to what you choose.

For the record I didn't have any permission problems.

FYI the permissions for CM are Me: read and write, Admin and Everyone: read only

In the Finder choose the CM folder, right click->Informations (or Cmd-I). At the bottom you can see the permissions. Change to the above and apply to all subfolders (gear symbol).

I don't know if that helps you but then all permissions are set to what you choose.

For the record I didn't have any permission problems.

Ditto (me r/w, all others read only), and I didn't set anything manually.

Thanks everybody (herr_oberst, poesel71, Phil) for the input and for the suggestions. After getting a green light from Phil for changing the permissions within the app, I did what poesel71 described in his post (using the information window is of course much easier than using the command line). everything works now as expected!

I don't know if Stormcrow_UK, the thread starter, is still having this problem and reading the conversation, but I can tell you: do what poesel71 describes in post #16 and you're good.

Now you have to excuse me, gentlemen, I have a war to fight!

:D

Sign in to follow this