Sign in to follow this  
Tactical Wargamer

Great now nothing works!

I tell you I hate the battlefront methods of licensing. Never have any trouble with say norb soft (scourge of War) or Storm Studios (Jutland). I can't count how many copies I have purchased for CMSF....to get new licenses.

The latest D/L'ed CW installed and now apparently I don't even have a licensed copy of CMBN. Worked fine till I installed the CW module. Man how hard can it be :rolleyes:

I upgraded my ststem twice and have purchase x2 copies of CMBN with my laptops over the past year. Oh boy guess I am stuck again. Man why is it so difficult. Oh well. :o

Off to submit another ticket......

Ok when installing CW it mentions that it can't find the directory. I go in and look where CMBN is and it states C:\Users\ETF\Battlefront\Combat Mission Battle for Normandy

Sooo I cut and paste it when trying to install the CW. It stills states can't find the directory? I installed it anyways. Now CMBN doesn't work at all. I get the "buynow" screen. Any ideas guys.

Thanks

K guys...trying to just get CMBN up and running. Forget CW for now :)

When I run the short cut as an administrator I of course now get the BUY NOW screen. At the bottom I have some options. Enter Key and Re-activate Key. Curious I should have 2 more activations in my second copy of CMBN which one should I choose. "Enter key" ? or is it a reactivate Key?

Decision decisions.............

<Edit> Enter license states it is invalid. Will try a uninstall and work from there.

Have the instructions for uninstalling. Is there anything I should be on the look out not mentioned? Does uninstalling hit me for another activation?

Uninstalling and installing on the SAME computer (with no significant hardware changes) will not eat up licenses.

Have the instructions for uninstalling. Is there anything I should be on the look out not mentioned? Does uninstalling hit me for another activation?

Did you manage to get it going?

:):)OK Simple question first. I assume your PC meets the game specifications. Assuming this is the case the best way to deal with the licence key is to copy it into a Word file. I do this so I can save a copy somewhere I can find it. When the program asks you for your licence key which will happen the first time you play your newly installed game you simply copy and paste the licence key and follow the instructions. I had no trouble with it. Good luck.

RCMP, first off, you do not need to buy anything more than once, and definitely not to get new licenses. Your license key never expires, and you can always contact www.battlefront.com/helpdesk if you have a problem with a license.

Secondly, the system isn't difficult at all. You are struggling with finding your base game, nothing else. Since that is the prerequisite to running Commonwealth, you are - correctly - told that something isn't right. Everything is working as it should. You seem to need help to find it, and we can try and help you with that if you post a ticket.

"Running as admin" changes the permissions under which you are launching the game. This is part of Window's UAC system. Our games are user-specific (see the Readme), so this also changes the user under which you are trying to run. Hence, it will usually ask you to activate the game first.

In the Readme you will find instructions to NOT run the game with any elevated permissions. It's not required, the game doesn't need it since it doesn't need anything special from Windows. The only reason to try and run it as admin is your Windows permissions are borked in the first place, and may need an override. But that's very RARE.

Note that this is different from the older games (using eLicense) which usually REQUIRED admin permissions (at least for the very first launch).

Commonwealth looks for a previously installed copy of CMBN automatically. Unless you moved stuff around after install, it should find it, but as the readme says, you should doublecheck if it's correct because it isn't 100% failsafe. There is no telling what some people do with their computers ;) When you are sure where it is and copied the path, then it may be that the path leads to an incomplete or outdated install. Or it may be a simple case of having to add a trailing / to the path (not sure, but worth a try).

Reinstalling the base game should always help, too. Since you needreally should remove any mods before running Commonwealth (as the mods may not be compatible with 1.10), that's not a bad idea to get a clean install.

Martin

:):)OK Simple question first. I assume your PC meets the game specifications. Assuming this is the case the best way to deal with the licence key is to copy it into a Word file. I do this so I can save a copy somewhere I can find it. When the program asks you for your licence key which will happen the first time you play your newly installed game you simply copy and paste the licence key and follow the instructions. I had no trouble with it. Good luck.

Good idea thanks Lucas. Will do that next time. I print them out now and it is a royal pain to type in all the time. Miss a digit and....well it isn't pretty.

RCMP, first off, you do not need to buy anything more than once, and definitely not to get new licenses. Your license key never expires, and you can always contact www.battlefront.com/helpdesk if you have a problem with a license.

--->I have in the past....never had one response to the email/ticket and to be honest it was just easier to buy another license. I have 5 CMSF's :) Hey good cause. Glad to support the company....I did submit a ticket yesterday. Received a quick response see other post.....

Secondly, the system isn't difficult at all. You are struggling with finding your base game, nothing else. Since that is the prerequisite to running Commonwealth, you are - correctly - told that something isn't right. Everything is working as it should. You seem to need help to find it, and we can try and help you with that if you post a ticket.

----->Have no problem finding the game in my little mind...it is located in

C:\Users\ETF\Battlefront\Combat Mission Battle for Normandy

"Running as admin" changes the permissions under which you are launching the game. This is part of Window's UAC system. Our games are user-specific (see the Readme), so this also changes the user under which you are trying to run. Hence, it will usually ask you to activate the game first.

--->Ever since I installed it in WIN7 I always needed to use the admin to run. Simply double clicking on the desktop always brought me to the BUY NOW splash screen. No idea how that worked?

Commonwealth looks for a previously installed copy of CMBN automatically. Unless you moved stuff around after install, it should find it, but as the readme says, you should doublecheck if it's correct because it isn't 100% failsafe.

---->I copied my directory over exactly as it was. Not sure why it an't find it. Weird. Never had any problems with modules in CMSF. Strange

Reinstalling the base game should always help, too. Since you needreally should remove any mods before running Commonwealth (as the mods may not be compatible with 1.10), that's not a bad idea to get a clean install.

--->This will not cost me an another activation sir? I have 2 copies of CMBN and only 2 activations left :) Rather not waste any more of them. :D

CMBN is more expensive than CMSF....

Martin

Sorry answered your points in the above quotes. Hmm another thing I have to work on learning :)

Okay received a response to my ticket today......replied back to the nice folks at battlefront. Might be some time before they get around to it.

Maybe you guys can help me understand the questions and my responeses and suggest a course of action. These Q-questions were in one ticket the A's- are my responses....

Q) Do you only have one installation of CMBN on the computer you are

attempting to install the Commonwealth module on ?

A)As far as I know I only have one installation. Never had any problems

with my previous modules installing with CMSF. Are the licenses I provided ok still?

Q2) What directory are you using for CMBN ?

A2) C:\Users\ETF\Battlefront\Combat Mission Battle for Normandy - I also

copied this for the installation

Q3)When you go to this directory after installing the Commonwealth module, do you see the 'CMN Commonwealth Module.exe' in the 'Modules' subdirectory ?

A3) I see the CMN CW module.exe.manifest and the CMN CW module (application).

Q4) Does the 'Data' subdirectory have five (5) .BRZ files in it (along with

other files) ?

A4) No I don't think so. Well I see 4...... Normandy v100B.brz,

v101.brz,v110CW.brz,v110.brz

So guys what do think re. the above. Should uninstall CMBN and start over?:confused:

Cheers

Okay received a response to my ticket today......replied back to the nice folks at battlefront. Might be some time before they get around to it.

Maybe you guys can help me understand the questions and my responeses and suggest a course of action. These Q-questions were in one ticket the A's- are my responses....

Q) Do you only have one installation of CMBN on the computer you are

attempting to install the Commonwealth module on ?

A)As far as I know I only have one installation. Never had any problems

with my previous modules installing with CMSF. Are the licenses I provided ok still?

Q2) What directory are you using for CMBN ?

A2) C:\Users\ETF\Battlefront\Combat Mission Battle for Normandy - I also

copied this for the installation

Q3)When you go to this directory after installing the Commonwealth module, do you see the 'CMN Commonwealth Module.exe' in the 'Modules' subdirectory ?

A3) I see the CMN CW module.exe.manifest and the CMN CW module (application).

Q4) Does the 'Data' subdirectory have five (5) .BRZ files in it (along with

other files) ?

A4) No I don't think so. Well I see 4...... Normandy v100B.brz,

v101.brz,v110CW.brz,v110.brz

So guys what do think re. the above. Should uninstall CMBN and start over?:confused:

Cheers

I might be wrong but looks like your missing Normandy v100A.brz. I would start from scratch and uninstall then reinstall. Unless someone says different. Do a full uninstall and remove your mod folders too. Make sure you have your key handy also.

I have Normandy v100A.brz, Normandy v100B.brz, Normandy v101 Normandy v110 Commonwealth Normandy v110

oops didn't see Moons response

You are missing Normandy v100A.brz from your base game install. Reinstall, and that should fix it.

Ok just looking at the exact procedure for this.....I no longer unlicense the program first before uninstalling like we use (well I tired unsuccessfully :rolleyes:) for CMSF.

http://www.battlefront.com/helpdesk/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=47

Just uninstall through windows? via add remove? Didn't really see anything in my search for uninstall.

ok uninstalled CMBN. Installed it and CW installed perfectly. Now I never activated CMBN, and went right away to install CW. Entered the CW serial (cut and pasted) and received a "internal failure occurred on the server".

Hmm any more ideas. I think we are making headway albeit slowly haha.

ok uninstalled CMBN. Installed it and CW installed perfectly. Now I never activated CMBN, and went right away to install CW. Entered the CW serial (cut and pasted) and received a "internal failure occurred on the server".

Hmm any more ideas. I think we are making headway albeit slowly haha.

Maybe you should of tried installing and activating CMBN 1st. Then make sure it works, then install the CW mod. What operating system you got? Windows XP or Windows 7? you know you can get remote assistance via Windows 7.

You will want to try the 'manual activation' process which requires creating a 'Activation Request Code' and then submitting that and your license key to the Battlefront Activation page:

http://www.battlefront.com/activate

However you will need to login with your Battlefront Store account first, and that may be easier with the main Battlefront page. Once you've logged in, manually change your address bar URL (in your browser) to the above webpage. Click on the Activate License Manually <Click Here> text and enter your license key and Activation Request Code in the appropriate boxes. This should come back with an 'Activation Code' that you will need to write down. Go back to your CMBN-CW registration (or restart it if you closed it down) and click the 'Next' button to go beyond the dialog that gives you the 'Activation Request Code'. This should be the dialog box to put in the 'Activation Code' and it should hopefully get your game running.

RCMP, an "intenal server failure" on a PC system indicates that your Windows permissions are mismatched. This happens if you install the game with different permissions than you are attempting to run with. Unfortunately, Windows UAC doesn't make this very transparent, and it can happen if you do not close other programs while installing for example.

Go to www.battlefront.com/helpdesk and click on "Submit Ticket".

I don't think that manual activation will help but it may be worth a try.

Maybe you should of tried installing and activating CMBN 1st. Then make sure it works, then install the CW mod. What operating system you got? Windows XP or Windows 7? you know you can get remote assistance via Windows 7.

Hi Para yes Windows 7.

Sign in to follow this