Sign in to follow this  
pcelt

Using the extra memory now available

Phil Culliton explained somewhere in the forum that 32bit bit systems like XP need to be explicitly told that you want to let processes use larger address spaces.

Like an old 32 bit system I too need to be explicitly told exactly how you explicitly tell your XP 32 bit system how to use the extra memory.

May I explicitly but politely request some clear help please re this process for myself and others in a similar state of uncertainty.

Many thanks....

You don't need Large Address Aware. You don't need ANY external programs. Nor should you use them on CM, as it might trip the DRM.

On XP you need to set the /3GB switch (there's another you can use, but it's far more dangerous). I'll provide links to descriptions of how to do it. For the love of Pete, don't use any external programs to modify the exe, though.

On 3 March we were told that you would offer us some help re how to set up with XP etc to tell our computers explicitly to use the extra memory.

I apologise for reminding you but feared you may have forgotten this with all the pressures of work ........

I've been reading the different threads on this topic and find myself somewhat confused by what's being suggested.

I suspect that's because the numbers being talked about are "4 GB RAM" for 64-bit OS and "3 GB RAM" for 32-bit OS.

A common hardware configuration for current systems is a 32-bit installation of Windows XP/7 with 4 GB of physical RAM that's limited to using only 3 GB of what's installed.

Question: are we discussing reserving 3 or 4 GB for the game, or removing the 3 GB addressing limitation for a 32-bit OS?

On 3 March we were told that you would offer us some help re how to set up with XP etc to tell our computers explicitly to use the extra memory.

I apologise for reminding you but feared you may have forgotten this with all the pressures of work ........

Nope, not forgotten, just a bit of work. I had to write up a Knowledgebase article and something for help desk, among other things. We should have something set up today.

I've been reading the different threads on this topic and find myself somewhat confused by what's being suggested.

I suspect that's because the numbers being talked about are "4 GB RAM" for 64-bit OS and "3 GB RAM" for 32-bit OS.

A common hardware configuration for current systems is a 32-bit installation of Windows XP/7 with 4 GB of physical RAM that's limited to using only 3 GB of what's installed.

Question: are we discussing reserving 3 or 4 GB for the game, or removing the 3 GB addressing limitation for a 32-bit OS?

Neither. We're talking about telling your operating system that you'd like to be able to use a larger virtual address space for user-mode applications. On our end we're saying "it's safe for this application to use a larger virtual address space". On your end you're telling the OS how big you'd like that space to be. How big that space *can* be depends on your OS.

It doesn't have much to do with installed RAM, per se.

Nope, not forgotten, just a bit of work. I had to write up a Knowledgebase article and something for help desk, among other things. We should have something set up today.

Neither. We're talking about telling your operating system that you'd like to be able to use a larger virtual address space for user-mode applications. On our end we're saying "it's safe for this application to use a larger virtual address space". On your end you're telling the OS how big you'd like that space to be. How big that space *can* be depends on your OS.

It doesn't have much to do with installed RAM, per se.

Is this what you're talking about:

To enable the 3GB switch on Windows Vista™ or Windows 7:

Right-click Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.

At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072"

Restart the computer.

To disable the 3GB switch:

Right-click on Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.

At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa"

Restart the computer.

Precisely.

Thanks.

Now, let me enter "Hamlet-mode," not necessarily to trouble Phil, who is an honorable man, but to elaborate on my dilemma for "Princes" who might be similarly situated... ;)

I actually have several options in pursuing better performance for CMBN:

1) I can pursue the option that Phil has described above, and to which I've posted the Windows command prompt code. This seems like contrivance to me, but if it works, damn the King! :D

2) I can pull two 2 x 2 GB RAM modules out of my XP box, slip them into the Windows 7 box in which CMBN/CF is installed, and then reinstall Win7 as 64-bit. The downside to this is that I'll spend much of my day on software configuration. And, of course, I'll use up one of my game activations! :(

3) I can eschew meddling with the p35/e6600/8800gtx and p45/e8500/285gtx machines and buy something that was built from the ground-up as a Win7 64-bit system, i5 or i7, with gigglely-gigs of RAM, perhaps.:)

It is true that both of the systems are as yet powerful, in their own right, but Ophelia is whispering in my ear, "your HRH, more cores, you must have more cores!"

Ah, the slings and arrows!

Personally when I watched the threads from the testers about CMBN in the AARs etc prior to release I made the decision to just go build a new PC and went with 64 bit Windows, plenty of ram etc. I have had no cause for regret.

Ok..just purchased & installed CW module and still have the OOM when starting up GeorgeMCs "Fire Brigade 1.1. Load data at 27% or so. The inherent 1.10 update does not appear to have things improved from the previous version unfortunately. Yet anything valid I could do with my WinXP and 4 GB RAM? :confused:

Yes, but XP needs some extra help. Sorry we haven't posted instructions yet - we had to make some changes. *One* of those changes is that folks with XP should contact help desk to get instructions; they're fairly invasive.

Yes, and the game will be able to request and use a virtual address space of up to 4GB.

So, I took a shot at implementing the instructions cited below and had some interesting results:

To enable the 3GB switch on Windows Vista™ or Windows 7 32- bit:

Right-click Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.

At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072"

Restart the computer.

To disable the 3GB switch:

Right-click on Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.

At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa"

Restart the computer.

First, the load time was a fraction of what it was before enabling the "3GB switch."

However, there were a couple of oddities that became apparent more or less immediately.

1) The level of graphical detail seemed less; I should have taken some pictures. I wouldn't think that upping the memory would have this effect, unless the memory in question was being appropriated from the display adapter. Phil probably has some thoughts about this, as his understanding of the technology is profoundly greater than my own.

2) Mouse/cursor function seemed a little unwieldy. It seemed to be "slewing" rather more than I was comfortable with. In fact, it was so pronounced that it was hard at times to use the mouse with the precision that most gamers would prefer.

I'd certainly be interested in hearing about the experience of others with Phil's "Windows 3GB VA field mod!"

Edit:

System Specs

Processor - E8600 3.3 Ghz

Memory - 4GB DDR2/1066

Video Card - Nvidia GF 285GTX

Storage - Intel 160 GB SATA2 SSD

Sound - CL XFi Ti Fatality Pro

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

I have Windows 7, 32 bit and followed the above advice on running the Windows 3GB VA field mod :-

I tested using the scenario ' CW My honor is loyalty' - For those not yet familiar with this scenario - it has huge large/huge map and a huge amount of units on both sides.

Loading times : Feels slightly faster than before - did not time it unfortunately.

Graphics : Scrolling over the map was much much better without any jerkiness. Big improvement.

Other : When ordering my troops to disembark they spent quite a bit of time just standing around, the game indicated that they were planning. After a while however they followed the orders that had been given to them.

My system specs:

CPU:AMD 965 BE

RAM: 4 gig

GPU: ATI 6870

Yes, but XP needs some extra help. Sorry we haven't posted instructions yet - we had to make some changes. *One* of those changes is that folks with XP should contact help desk to get instructions; they're fairly invasive.

Any public news for WinXP users available yet?

First post. Great game by the way (My wife hates you :) )

I have 32bit XP and I followed the instructions on the following youtube link, and it works great for me. The chap speaks at a rate of fire that would put a MG42 to shame, but it's quite easy to follow.

Obviously do at your own risk

Do NOT use programs that change the executable.

The instructions for changing the boot.ini file are correct, but using the Large Address Aware utility is unnecessary and could cause problems with the DRM.

It's cool. Thanks for posting the link - this sort of thing is what the Tech Support forum is here for. There's been confusion about whether LAA utilities are needed (they are not needed) and I just wanted to make sure people following the instructions knew which instructions *not* to follow. Tripping the DRM is bad for everybody.

Sign in to follow this