CM West at CMMODs complete?

Fenris

Just a mini-update: So as I'm used to CMAK I never played an un-modded night CMBB game before (i.e. never played with grau tanks) and now have discovered that the original CMBB bitmaps, as well as many modders' CMBB works, appear greeny-purple at night!!! And regardless of whether thay are standard 24-bit or my desaturated 8-bit versions. At least, that's how they all look with my NVidia GeForce 8400GS graphics card.

However, I've pushed on and found that things like some Molek and HeinzBaby mods suffer much less from this problem (or at least my desaturated 8-bit versions of their mods don't). And so I'm still tinkering.....

Hi Blazing 88's - Thanks but I guess people ought to wait until they see it all before they start thanking me.... But I will definitely post here when I'm done, yet at the same time guess I should also start a new thread with the new mod's name because it'll be a major mod (a total conversion of the early half of the game). And guess I'll probably just upload it to CMMODS where my other mods are.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a further update - been working away at this for 3+ hours every evening since my last post (and for 16 months in total). Getting a grau that looks ok at all times of day & night has been a sticking point. Good by day makes it far too blue in the morning, but cure that and it looks far too red or green in the evening, or too greeny-purple at night, but cure that... and on and on in some vicious circle. However, I found a cure (of sorts), by doing away with almost all existing German-grey stock and mods (be they CMBB or earlier CMAK Sealion) and working mainly with a freshly recoloured desert CMAK set. A LOT of extra work but these CMAKs are much nicer, more 3-D styled models than some of the CMBBs, so may even end up being preferred by CMBB users as well as for the new CMAK Conversion.

Everything else (allies, terrain etc), is done bar packaging up into appropriate sized zips. I'll post in this thread once more to say when I'm done, and then start a new thread with the new conversion's name.

Hi Blazing 88's - Thanks but I guess people ought to wait until they see it all before they start thanking me....

Not at all, I am a graphic artist for my day job... I have no ambition, on my time, to do what it takes to do what you and all of the modding community do for CM... this way I can concentrate on CM as a sim only, as the graphic mods are already in good hands.

Much appreciated brotha's. :D

Thanks guys, your kind comments do keep me going. I just don't want to get people's hopes up too much - I guess you can look at my existing mods for a rough idea. But this is huge and bound not to be perfect. Anyway, my 3rd version of the grau is probably about half redone. It's slow and intensive work because I just use MSPaint and Irfanview, and I'm trying to make it mostly 8-bit and desaturated. But I am (amongst many other things) a published traditional (i.e. non-electronic) artist, and so have done a little freehand too. I'm hoping to upload a complete conversion "beta" in about 4 weeks for feedback.

Ok so I'm useless at using forums - I'm attempting to upload a couple of screen-shots of the conversion in progress, just to show that I am actually doing something. These thumbnails seem too small to me, but you get the idea - these are of the converted "all combined" region for March43 (German Grau) and Jan43 (Brit-Com).

post-18354-141867623977_thumb.jpg

post-18354-141867623978_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've completed a beta version, but its a huge 700MB (9,100 files), and the final version could end up at 800MB. This is because despite being in mainly 8-bit colour there 5 different terrain sets for converting the all-combined region for the early (Sealion) game, and it currently includes the even larger late (ETO) game too (with new winter terrain, snow models for ALL armour and uniforms). And because of desaturation tweaks almost every bitmap is affected. I currently don't have a host for it, though am in discussions. I may end up not releasing the late stuff (because its only a little different from existing ETO) but even just releasing the early game will amount to nearly 300MB. I also hope to refine the new Sealion grau set for use in CMBB, and have a couple of other small mods in-hand, before finally retiring from modding.

Thanks for the interest. Oh, it wouldn't be in one zip file, but more like spread across 10 or more. I don't want to get into CD burning, but I'm still hoping to find a free host for at least a stripped-down version of the early war (300MB). I'll keep people posted here.

Just to clarify... I believe you can setup a dropbox account and uploaded/download using just the web interface if you like. Like you I prefer not to have it installed on some of my PC's and my tablet so using the browser is handy. Anyway good luck. Ask around someone is sure to have some good advice.

Cheers.

Thanks. I'll look into them. So far File-Dropper and Crocko looked ok (and Send-Space too, but it has a smaller, 300MB-limit, for free & unregistered use). I'll upload my beta as such a temporary download in a week and report here and in a new thread, unless in the meantime I hear back from one of the permanent hosts I've approached.