• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them
Sign in to follow this  
Hans

Is this program still being supported?

Hi Hans, I am a player in Austin Tx and I also wonder if this is still supported. We are having a problem starting new games. I create a PBEM game, then send the game code to my friend, but when he enters the game code the game does not start for him.

We would like to find other PBEM players. That is, only if the game can be fixed!

I believe the developer of the game has abandoned it at this point. There just wasn't enough sales to make a living on and he had to move forward with other employment to make a living. He did release patches quite a few months ago, which was quite generous of him considering there wasn't really any compensation for that work.

The game is pretty much in its final state and no further improvements are expected. I can't recall if the developer actually released some of the code and a .DLL to allow people to tinker with the AI (on a programming level) or not. This was one of the final things he was considering doing if he could find the time.

I'm unsure of the PBEM functionality. It seems to generate a file and claim to download it (for the second player), but I never see the game actually load up at this point.

Thanks for the reply Schrullenhaft, yeah Brit cleared up a bug for me about 6 months ago but like you say I believe it was not generating enough sales. I still love the game though, so if anyone wants to contact me at billb166@yahoo.com for a PBEM game (assuming we can make it work!) then I am ready.

Brit   

Yes, I still check the forums and respond to bug report messages sent via the game's bug report tool. If you have bugs, I'll either fix them in the saved-game file or will create a fix and push out a new version.

Brit   

I just wanted to post an update to this. Recently, my webhost moved me to a new server and (unbeknownst to me) it had the side-effect of breaking my gmail access to the bugreport emails. This means I haven't seen any of the bug reports sent in the last few weeks. I've fixed the problem now. I'll respond tonight to all the emails.

Brit   
...and we thank you !

Hi Hans. Tonight, I tracked down the reason why new PBEM games couldn't be started and fixed it. Let me know if you run into any other problems.

Sign in to follow this