Carentan Part II

Like you, I just put the troopers where I went them to be at the start of the game. If I had painted the setup position, the A.I would have moved the troopers the way the algorithms of the game is set to have them deployed (depending they are a squad, a platoon and or a company)

Thanks, good to have that confirmed.

It here are so many variables in setting AI plans. It's more art than science, for sure! Between AI groupings, placement, stance, movement and reinforcement options, it just takes a lot of experimenting to get things to gel.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im fully aware that a lot of people will play PBEM and wont need AI on these maps - im perfectly happy to release just the map now (after setting up the front screen details) with no AI and then when ive finished the AI for both sides releasing the map as a full map if thats possible - are there any restrcitions on uploading maps with and without AI - id obviously call them different scenarios

im fully aware that a lot of people will play PBEM and wont need AI on these maps - im perfectly happy to release just the map now (after setting up the front screen details) with no AI and then when ive finished the AI for both sides releasing the map as a full map if thats possible - are there any restrcitions on uploading maps with and without AI - id obviously call them different scenarios

That would be awesome. Just getting the map by itself or with AI, would not matter to me, as all forces can be deleted once loaded, and can be resaved using different title etc, that way your map can still be played with your original settings.

I think alot of us like to make maps, and possibly link them into Campaigns.

Again I would really like to see a Map only, so I can add this to the other two maps I am making around the Juno Beach Landing area.

No, it's the map plus the OOB and setup zones, briefing, and everything except the AI.

You can make a detailed deployment for each side within the zones, if you want to make it easy on players, or just dump all the forces within their respective zones and let the players sort it all out. Objectives are important, as is the briefing to help players understand what their mission is and how to win.

No, it's the map plus the OOB and setup zones, briefing, and everything except the AI.

You can make a detailed deployment for each side within the zones, if you want to make it easy on players, or just dump all the forces within their respective zones and let the players sort it all out. Objectives are important, as is the briefing to help players understand what their mission is and how to win.

gotcha - ok, that shouldnt be too hard - at the minute its just the OOB for the farm attack, i need to work out the reinforcement schedule for the town attack and defence

ill get it sorted

And don't get me wrong -- I'm sure lots of players would love this as a map/scenario with good AI plans on both sides. You've put a lot of hard work into coding AI already.

I just want to point out that you don't necessarily have to learn AI coding to make maps/scenarios -- you can create everything but the AI, post it, and then let the community enjoy it as a HTH-only scenario or let someone who's an AI expert mod it to add the AI later on. Some of us (like me) are really mappers at heart, and others are great at making AI plans but have no interest in mapping.

gotcha - ok, that shouldnt be too hard - at the minute its just the OOB for the farm attack, i need to work out the reinforcement schedule for the town attack and defence

ill get it sorted

I am looking forward to your map with the AI's. Sounds by the work you have put in, that it could brilliant.

thankyou to you both - Para ill do two releases - an AI-less HTH one for those that want to tweak the AI and play with their opponents and one for with an AI for the AI players.

At the moment the AI is done for the farm attack, im moving on now to the village area and the bridge victory points which will then bring on the reinforcements for the advancement into the town.

Barring the removal of the AI plans and tinkering with the set up zones the HTH map will be almost ready

thanks for everyones support and encouragement on this project - if its any reward ive made a respectable looking bridge that spans the river Nederrijn near a certain town called Arnhem

ok - working out the reinforcements for the head to head release - what can the game comfortably deal with? - the starting units (3 companies for the US and one and a half for the Axis) will have suffered casualties battling for the farm - i obviously dont want to drop 2 regiments on the map - would it handle 2 battallions each or is this too much - i know the ratio of Axis to Allies so it doesnt matter - i just dont want to overload the map

Two regiments on that map would definitely be too much, IMHO.

But 2 battalions each is OK, and I've found the most comfortable (just my taste) to me around Battalion (+) on each side, or Battalion (+) vs. Company (+).

I'd say just use whatever the historical units and strengths were in this real space and time, and don't try to "game" it or artificially balance it through troop levels. Even a battle that's greatly asymmetrical in troop numbers can still be "balanced" by the victory conditions, in a way that still gives the overmatched side some plausibly attainable goals that the game would rule a "victory."

Two regiments on that map would definitely be too much, IMHO.

But 2 battalions each is OK, and I've found the most comfortable (just my taste) to me around Battalion (+) on each side, or Battalion (+) vs. Company (+).

I'd say just use whatever the historical units and strengths were in this real space and time, and don't try to "game" it or artificially balance it through troop levels. Even a battle that's greatly asymmetrical in troop numbers can still be "balanced" by the victory conditions, in a way that still gives the overmatched side some plausibly attainable goals that the game would rule a "victory."

I agree with Broadsword here... Possibly just use Historical accounts first...

Either way.. I plan to use this map and run Panzer Lehr right thru it.. LOL all the way to Utah Beach or St. Lo.

I hope to complete myself two maps that I have started from the outskirts of Utah Beach to Dead Mans Corner.

i do hope to use historical ratios - but i cant use historical numbers - it was practically the whole remainder of the 101st once theyd all been gathered, regrouped and reassigned versus the 6th FJR - dont even want to conceive of the numbers involved here!!!

After hours and hours of reading im confident i can get the ratios right - just didnt want to flood the map for you guys

BTW on the very first turn both sides can launch mortars anywhere on the map within 1 minute - is there anyway of switching this off?

i do hope to use historical ratios - but i cant use historical numbers - it was practically the whole remainder of the 101st once theyd all been gathered, regrouped and reassigned versus the 6th FJR - dont even want to conceive of the numbers involved here!!!

After hours and hours of reading im confident i can get the ratios right - just didnt want to flood the map for you guys

BTW on the very first turn both sides can launch mortars anywhere on the map within 1 minute - is there anyway of switching this off?

You can set the Mortars reinforcement value so they are not available on the first turn...is one way, I think you can Limber or make the ones on board NOT ready so again they are not available on 1st turn.

I have gotten it down in using Regimental size battles.... lots of work, working out reinforcement values, and where to place them one they arrive etc... but its possible to go large scale.. The battles would be pretty long, maybe 1.5 hours etc. But you can trickle forces in using Reinforcemnts, which Im sure you have done to great effect.

I only wish Battlefront would allow more Reinforcements, to allow more detailed unit arrival placement-dispersion which would then effect Objectives menu.... more detail anyway

Need at least minimum 20 reinforcement tabs and at least 10 Objective targets... I think. Again I think they were thinking squad level, or at the most Company sized elements when creating BFCN.... I have done Regimental size battles but with only having the limited amount of Reinforcements and objectives.. its just a little more difficult. The plus side with the objectives is the different plans you can have, so each battle the AI can take different actions.. which is cool and can suprise the hell out of ya.

how do i give the reinforcements an AI plan when i dont know what time theyre coming on the map - at the moment i have the Allied reinforcements (2 battallions) coming on 5 mins either side of 1 hour - do i need to give them a setup zone for the first ai plan? and they exit this area before 58:00-ish?

how do i give the reinforcements an AI plan when i dont know what time theyre coming on the map - at the moment i have the Allied reinforcements (2 battallions) coming on 5 mins either side of 1 hour - do i need to give them a setup zone for the first ai plan? and they exit this area before 58:00-ish?

You still need to give them an inital set up area, this is how they will enter ON BOARD. Set them up on how you want them to enter the combat zone... so you still have to put them on your map on how you want them to enter, via road, field, or already in static postions.

Also you can give them multiple plans = different routes the AI may take... which can make for more interesting replay ability.