Carentan Part II

Ok, map is finished (i hope!)

Now to choose the OOB and tinker with the AI - i may be here for tips

Review of the map:-

Purple Heart Lane..........

cmnormandy2012021417340.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Flooded fields at start of Allies setup.......

cmnormandy2012021417343.jpg

Bridge number 4 - the start of the battle for Ingouf farm..........

cmnormandy2012021417353.jpg

The most Northern irrigation canal:-

cmnormandy2012021417362.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ingouf farm - scene of bitter fighting and coles charge:-

cmnormandy2012021417374.jpg

The outlying farm territories and the minor village:-

cmnormandy2012021417384.jpg

Northern Carentan and flooded marsh approaches:-

cmnormandy2012021417392.jpg

From the other side of the railway station with farming areas:-

cmnormandy2012021417400.jpg

Carentan's northern fringe zoomed in (included in an undulgence to myself and doffed cap to Hollywood (because i like a bit of cheese)) - the sloped entrance, the bombed house, Cafe Normadie, Hotel Ingouf, the Factory housing the sniper, the gates where Lipton was hit by the ATG, the alleyway for the ATG, the pharmacy that exploded under mortar attack, the yard at the rear of the pharmacy with the outside toilet - if i could have a piano it would be there and the chicken shed at the rear of the house on the entrance!!

cmnormandy2012021417423.jpg

Ok - first set of questions:-

1. can i bring in reinforcements based on the capture of an objective - not after a certain amount of time - the start of the battle was cole and his company (allow for some leeway here - im nailing down the OOB tonight), once the Germans were pushed past the railway line reinforcements were sent in - cue the the rest of the 506th (leeway!!!)?

2. do i need to program a German AI - it has to defend theres not much to it really - stay here and dont lose this land!

3. any links to the initial OOB and then the reinforced OOB?

Ok - first set of questions:-

1. can i bring in reinforcements based on the capture of an objective - not after a certain amount of time - the start of the battle was cole and his company (allow for some leeway here - im nailing down the OOB tonight), once the Germans were pushed past the railway line reinforcements were sent in - cue the the rest of the 506th (leeway!!!)?

No, timed reinforcements only, unfortunately.

2. do i need to program a German AI - it has to defend theres not much to it really - stay here and dont lose this land!

If the Germans don't need to move, then all you need to do is deploy them in the editor. You don't even need to touch the AI page if all you want them to do is defend static positions.

its not bad at all - im only on an intel core duo t6600 (2.2 ghz) and 4 gb of memory - seems ok - althought thats with no pixeltruppen on!

Laptop is a 2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i5, with 6GB ram (to quote John Wilkes Booth considering his paralyzed arm: 'Useless!') and an OK video card: ATI 6650M. The old desktop is Pee Wee Herman in comparison but runs all the scenarios with aplomb. I've noticed that what brings the laptop to its knees is, above all (drum roll)... heavy vegetation. IOW, I can load up and play Bridge at Soloki (bare Russian steppes) but with Huzzar! (dense greenery)...choke city. I get an OOM notification.

Unfortunately your pretty map appears to fall into the latter category.

Laptop is a 2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i5, with 6GB ram (to quote John Wilkes Booth considering his paralyzed arm: 'Useless!') and an OK video card: ATI 6650M. The old desktop is Pee Wee Herman in comparison but runs all the scenarios with aplomb. I've noticed that what brings the laptop to its knees is, above all (drum roll)... heavy vegetation. IOW, I can load up and play Bridge at Soloki (bare Russian steppes) but with Huzzar! (dense greenery)...choke city. I get an OOM notification.

Unfortunately your pretty map appears to fall into the latter category.

fingers crossed youll be ok - there has been previous discussion of 25000 squares causing problems - this only has 20000 - i suppose you could always edit the map and remove some trees........... anyway i hope you enjoy it if you play it - fiddling with the AI now

To undercovergeek :

Your map is fantastic. It is not a copy of the real ground that is impossible in that game, but it is as close as it can be done.

However, I have one remark. You can put it aside since it will not alter in anyway the quality of the map. That is a remark about the vegetation. As far as I recall from pictures taken in the 1940 years there were not that many trees along the axis from St Come du Mont, the causeway and the entrance of Carentan.

From St come du Mont, dead corner to the exit of the causeway you had marshes on either side of the road and not that many trees after the first bridge encountered.

From the exit of the causeway to the entrance of carentan you did not have marshes, but spongy ground if it had rained and not that many trees besides some scattered orchards on the right near the Ingouf farm.

Since these grounds were rather considered like perfect killing grounds, the Germans were positioned at the Ingouf farm and the grounds on the slopes and hills farther back (Hill 30 and bloody gulch area). It was the same on the hill going from the RR station to its top and level ground (20 to 30 meters height ABSL) along the road going to Sainteny and Periers.

There were snipers and HMG in the outskirts of Carentan and small parties, just to get rid of the lucky ones who would have been able to get through these killing fire zones.

For the A.I, OOB and forces positions, we could talk of it privately not to give away anything about your coming scenario.

However it will be difficult to duplicate precisely the reinforcement and or pull back movements of either forces. That considering the time at which they should be done.

Cheers

Some guys fighting there said that the M51A had been shot by an 88, but it was denied not so long time ago by a veteran coming back to the spot. Despite its age and confusion that memory could do he said that the tank had been shot with a Panzerfaust. The very small hole (on the tank side) and the fact that the Tank commander had been burned entirely while being half out of its turret, could confirm that. Anyway I don't see from where an 88 could have been firing on that tank. If it had the tank would have been blown out or the shot might have gone right through, but structural damage would have been seen at the rear exit. Thre were none besides that small hole.

I shall try to find again the transcription of that new version about that tank at the dead corner

101st should be normal experience -- definitely not green, because in CMBN "green" means untrained as well as untested in battle. Normal means they've had normal training but just haven't been in combat yet.

And yes, the Germans should be "veteran" experience. Even though a lot of the landsers on D-Day might not have experienced combat yet either, they would have had a cadre of battle-hardened NCOs and Ostfront veterans sprinked among them.

Ok - OOB for the battle for Ingouf farm has been done (it may be subject to a bit of change!) - this is the battle for the farm and the small village before the reinforcements arrive.

I wont post what the forces are lest it spoil anybodys game but i have read nothing that contradicts what has been chosen for this initial part of the Carentan fight - im going to play a small game tonight and post some shots in an AAR - see what you guys think

One of four sniper teams, scouting and covering the bridge approaches, one team is advance of here in a small barn overlooking the Allies prep area, and 2 more are on the other side of the hedgerow covering the mouth of the bridge itself:-

cmnormandy2012021720244.jpg

With the sniper teams in place the first of the US units can be seen crossing the road toward bridge number 4:-

cmnormandy2012021720310.jpg

And shortly after, the first Allied soldier falls to the sniper rifle:-

cmnormandy2012021720345.jpg

With troops approaching the bridge the Forward observer team calls down mortar fire from one of the on-map mortar teams.........:-

cmnormandy2012021720384.jpg

............whilst a heavy MG team watches the exit of the bridge:-

cmnormandy2012021720423.jpg

Another MG team covers the bridge exit, waiting for the Allied advance:-

cmnormandy2012021720431.jpg

Brave paratroopers return fire to cover the bridge crossing:-

cmnormandy2012021720450.jpg

The advance starts:-

cmnormandy2012021720485.jpg

The first paratrooper over the bridge jumps for cover in the face of the MG teams fire:-

cmnormandy2012021720544.jpg

Caught between the withering MG fire the paratroopers lay down more covering fire as they cross the bridge:-

cmnormandy2012021721431.jpg

Great news!

Please consider posting your complete map (if finished) and OOBs as they are, for HTH play.

Some of us never play the AI anyway, so I'd love to be able to take your battle for a spin against a real opponent.

I'd also be happy to playtest it against you if you want.

Broadsword, at the minute the Allies have 2 full companies and a HQ company - in RL Cole advanced with company G, H and I and his HQ company, during the night before the attack I was hit by a bomber and practically wiped out, and he advanced with 2 companies and a HQ company.

The Axis have one full company with all the HQ teams associated with that, and a weapons company, 4 on map mortars and 2 off map mortars, one medium and one heavy, 2 forward observers and 4 sniper teams - its taken a long time to nail down the OOB for the Axis at Ingouf alone, all documents ive read point out that there was an abundance of MG teams, mortars and snipers covering the exit of the bridge in support of the command HQ at the farm itself. Im happy to hear contrary discussions, and am in deed waiting for one bit of intel that should finalise my happiness with the OOB here.

Sounds excellent to me, but I'm no expert on the Carentan battle history.

One small question: Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there was no "Company I" in the US WW II organization -- because it can so easily be confused with the numeral 1 (and because, I guess, it leads to sentences ambiguous sentences like "I was hit by a bomber..." (who was hit, him or the company?) Didn't they just skip over the letter "I" and go straight to "J" for the companies in the 3rd battalion (J,K,L,M)?

I for Item; I thought it was "J" that was not used...because it looked so much like an "I"!

About the experience level settings. I would think based on the actual performance of both sides at this time, both should be regular or veteran. FJR 6 had only that Spring been reconstituted from remnants that served in Russia and Italy...leavened with veterans, for sure, but a majority were young recruits. (Coincidentally, I just started reading the "Lions of Carentan" last week, which is about that unit.) And the 101st had had very intensive training and performed well in their first campaign.

Just my two cents.

I'm looking forward to this, undercover geek, and Broadsword and snake-eye, your input and insight input has been very informative on this battle. It's been a while since I read Rendezvous With Destiny, Don Burgett'sbooks, or anything on the 101st, and the Lions of Carentan is short on tactical maps