(Almost) Unkillable Log Bunker bug

I think I've uncovered a bug with log bunkers. Actually, I think this may have been brought up here before, but in case it hasn't and/or further information is useful, specifics:

Log MG bunker gets hit multiple times in one turn with 75mm HE from a Sherman. This incoming fire kills 2 out of 3 occupants of the bunker, and the bunker clearly shows as "Knocked out" in UI. However, final occupant refuses to leave knocked out bunker. He just sits there. He never tries to man the MG (despite an available target; the TC is unbuttoned). He also never moves to the "cower" position. He just sits in his little log cabin and stares through his binoculars, oblivious to the steel rain falling around him.

Out of curiosity, I re-ran the following turn after the above happened multiple times. The first time, and on most iterations, the log bunker squatter just stands there as multiple MG and HE rounds penetrate the bunker (usually 3 or more 75mm penetrations in the following turn, as well as penetrating .30 and .50 MG fire). He never tries to leave the bunker. He never fires the MG. Finally, after about 10 re-runs of the turn, on one run the last occupant was actually killed by the incoming fire, and at this point the tank ceased fire. But as far as I can tell, until the last occupant is killed (which apparently can take quite a while, judging by the number of turns it took for me to see this result), the bunker squatter will just sit there indefinitely, and tank will continue to pound the bunker with HE until it runs out of ammo even though the bunker is supposedly "Knocked Out".

I can understand that it might sometimes be a little difficult for a tank crew to tell exactly when a bunker is completely "knocked out" -- it is, after all, basically just a pile of logs and earth over a hole in the ground. So a few rounds of follow-up fire to "make him sure" is believeable. But there has to be a limit, and this appears to be well beyond any "death clock" feature. Further, the surviving occupant clearly should have tried to get out the back door once the MG was knock out and his buddies were killed.

Save game available.

Cheers,

YD

well I do know that you cannot have men bail out of a bunker once they occupy it. and that is definitely a bug. as far as what you.re saying - you make a good point. after one or two penetrating hits you'd think a tank would cease fire. Id be sure one penetrating hit, especially through the firing slit, with HE would kill for sure anyone inside a bunker.

• 4 weeks later...

Having ceased playing the new german campaign because of CTDs after saving I tries the scottish one.

While my attack initially went well in the first mission, I then encountered the invincible log bunkers. First I thought, no problem! Smoke them with mortars, close in with a platoon or two, then knock them out with grenades...

So much for theory, everything worked fine, closing in, no losses, grenades, bunker knocked out, one german guy bailing and killed. But the remaining occupant then started to fire back and kill my guys. I concentrated an entire coy around the bunker, exausting my ammo supply firing at the bunker- result: all my platoons decimated, starting to surrender to the knocked out bunker with one invincible guy in it.

This did not happen once, but with all three bunkers I found in this scenario.

They are probably still fighting as I write this...

I´ll put the game on the shelf for now as I find this highly frustrating.

P.S: I have no mods installed, no Z folder to delete...

If anyone has a solution, please help me out...

Having ceased playing the new german campaign because of CTDs after saving I tries the scottish one.

While my attack initially went well in the first mission, I then encountered the invincible log bunkers....

Are you on the second mission now? I am just on the first and have just destroyed two log MG bunkers with no great difficulty with my Churchchills and PIATs.

I think this is a different bug that what I originally reported. In the bug I saw, the bunker went to "knocked out" in the UI status after a few HE hits, but the occupants did not leave the knocked out bunker (apparently because some sort of bug prevented them from doing so, as noted above). However, the occupants were no longer able to man the MG or otherwise fire out of the bunker, either. So the bunker was no longer a threat, but my units wouldn't stop firing at the men trapped inside the bunker, which meant there was huge amounts of HE and MG fire wasted on a neutered target. Finally, a tank shell killed the last guy. Must have taken 20 shots or so.

Sounds like the issue that LtHenkel encountered was something different, since in his case, the surviving soldier inside the bunker were able to still shoot the MG, even though he says the bunker was knocked out.

I haven't played with bunkers yet in v1.10, so I don't know if anything has been fixed or has changed with this since I made this report.

Thanks all for the feedback!

Firstly, the remaining guy in the bunker did use his rifle against my troops, not the bunkers MG.

Secondly, of course it is possible to blow up a bunker with a tank, no doubt. It is the rich mans approach.

But another classical method when only infantry is available is to use smoke or dead ground for a covered approach and blast them out with satchel charges or hand grenades. This should work in the game too.

As the main armament of the bunker is directed to the front, once you are in position in the flanks or rear your guys would in reality try to place a charge or grenade into any opening they find. This is what I expect to be able to do in the game too. I do not like being limited in my choice of tactical options. A viable real world tactic should also work in the game...

post-30101-141867623646_thumb.jpg

post-30101-141867623648_thumb.jpg

post-30101-141867623649_thumb.jpg

haven't played CW troops against a bunker yet. I did find in the base game that bazookas were my best infantry weapon against bunkers (at least the log ones) and forcing the enemy to bail was the next best option. I did not expect small arms and hand grenades to work all that well, but if I was down to just one guy suppressed I wouldn't expect him to keep taking out a squad.

In fact in the first battle of the RTM campaign when I had gotten around the flank of the bunkers I stopped and waited while I got another bazooka up when my initial one ran out of ammo. Even then small arms fire and hand grenades didn't seem to do more than have the guys in the bunker yell a lot.

Never had opportunity to try a satchel charge.

I just ran a test scenario with CW troops (UK airborne, to be specific) and watched them lob grenade after grenade into several bunkers (wood and concrete) to good effect. When they ran out, they used satchel charges, which were also effective. The only weirdness I saw as German troops bailing out from the front and sides of the bunker after the first few were massacred coming out the rear door. Not saying there might not be some sort of issue, but everything in this admittedly limited test worked as expected.

OK, I do not know why, but for some reason in my case only one guy bailed out. The the other one remained inside the bunker/ pillbox and was impossible to kill...

The problem would be easy to solve. If the bunker is knocked out, every occupant should bail out. Then only the empty and destroyed bunker would remain...

But apparently I am the only one attacking these things with infantry!?

OK, I do not know why, but for some reason in my case only one guy bailed out. The the other one remained inside the bunker/ pillbox and was impossible to kill...

The problem would be easy to solve. If the bunker is knocked out, every occupant should bail out. Then only the empty and destroyed bunker would remain...

But apparently I am the only one attacking these things with infantry!?

Hi, You might just have had a bad day... I did use infantry at rear of one bunker and they knocked it out OK and all guys bailed and were nailed.

I will watch out for it and see if it happens, so it is good you let it be known as a possible problem.

BTW did you still have your tanks left? or were they nailed?

The other option was to bypass the bunker and get the rest of the Germans as auto surrender would kick in, that might be a good way to avoid it for future play? Sure if it is a bug for other games that might not be possible but we can always post it a second time if it happens again.

:)

I've just finished the first battle in Scottish corridor and saw both things happen.

In one case one guy was left alive in a bunker and could neither be killed nor persuaded to leave, no matter how many penetrating hits the thing took. Since it was positioned inside one of the objective areas, it cost me control of that objective.

The crew did bail within seconds of coming under fire from the rear from a second bunker I found.

So it looks like there's a problem when there's one guy left.

I have just finished the first scottish mission and had the same problem. First bunker went down to a point blank 75 round, second one to a close range grenade attack from the rear, but the third was unkillable. I had a squad attacking from the side at 23 metres, another from behind 15 metres and my churchill raining 20+ HE from the other side, 100 metres. Not only did this not wound a single occupant, but It didn't even suppress them. The krauts in the bunker mangaed to get 12 kills with the MG whilst being under this 360 degree close range fire.

Please designers...

If BC can't make bunkers that are killable, dont use them at all in scenarios. It's driving me mad and cost me a whole platoon already.

Hensworth I am confused re the control of the objective as I managed to get the Germans to surrender but maybe that was because I had loads left? Not sure what triggers German surrender, has happened in both the first two scenarios. I am looking forward to setting up my defense on the third game... Excellent Campaign and my first so getting used to the idea that the Computer can provide a decent challenge as I usually play H2H double blind

This time I concentrated quite some firepower against the invincible pillbox.

Two sections worth of PIAT ammo, 1 Churchill 95mm combat load and several infantry sections- result: the same as before...

One guy bailed, pillbox knocked out but still occupied by the incredible super soldier who refused to die.

Of course there may be workarounds, like forcing a german surrender in the scenario. But is this fun? NO!

I want to fight my enemy, not the game engine!

post-30101-141867623652_thumb.jpg