Creating a Scenario in CMBN

Gentlemen:

I have been having a difficult time creating scenario's for CMBN. The hard to read handbook is of no help, and I have gone online to read it...but I am still stymied. (It was so much easier in the older games.)

Anyway, the elevation is kicking my ass, as is the troop placement, (amongst other issues). I put a whole force of PzGrn's in place in a town I managed to build, and when I came back to them, after emplacing the American troops, the German troops were not where I had put them. (and that was just in the creating stage)

Has any one posted a You-Tube about this process??? (I looked, didn't find one). Is there ANY tutorial anywhere...I have worn myself out using the QB maps and have always greatly enjoyed the scenario making.

Many Thanks,

Archangel

My reccomendation is that you start with something really small, to get the mechanics down. A platoon on either side, one or two vehicles, and a map 500m x 500m.

And, even before you do that, open a scenario you like in the editor and deconstruct how it was made. You can probably pick up quite a bit about positioning forces and setting zones by seeing how other folk do it.

I've found that making a scenario often involves 10 or so pages of handwritten notes, covering things like forces, points allocations, AI groups, reinforcement timings, AI plans, to do lists, feedback, playtesting notes, and such like. That's in addition to any research and maps you do.

Making a decent scen in CMBN is hard. And it takes time. It's harder and takes longer than CMx1 because there's so much more you can do, so much more you should do, and so much more detail that can be included.

Edit: I think there's a tutorial PDF for creating CMSF scenarios (which is broadly similar to the process for CMBN). I don't know where you'd find it though. Sry.

Gentlemen:

I have been having a difficult time creating scenario's for CMBN. The hard to read handbook is of no help, and I have gone online to read it...but I am still stymied. (It was so much easier in the older games.)

Anyway, the elevation is kicking my ass, as is the troop placement, (amongst other issues). I put a whole force of PzGrn's in place in a town I managed to build, and when I came back to them, after emplacing the American troops, the German troops were not where I had put them. (and that was just in the creating stage)

Has any one posted a You-Tube about this process??? (I looked, didn't find one). Is there ANY tutorial anywhere...I have worn myself out using the QB maps and have always greatly enjoyed the scenario making.

Many Thanks,

Archangel

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=1194

Although orginally designed for CMSF the editor mechanics are pretty much the same. This will at least answer your questions above. It's actually pretty straightforward once you get into it - just takes time to put all the bits together. The other option is use an existing (small) scenario and reverse engineer it to see how it was put together.

Actually I find the manual just fine. I learned everything about the editor from it, no tutorials needed.

The elevation editor is the easiest part of the scenario making process once you understand how it works. I used topographic maps as a basis for the maps I've made. All I had to do was mimic the topo lines and the editor interpolated the rest. Actually this is the easiest and best elevation editor I've ever used.

I'm not sure about the troop placing issues. I've never experience that. If they weren't where you placed them, then where were they? Back at their default position?

I'm not sure if this is what you mean by the Germans were not where you had put them, but when you are deploying American troops on the map the German troops will not appear. In other words, only the forces for the side you are deploying will appear on the map when you are placing them. The other side's forces will not appear at the same time. The only time you can see both sides at the same time is when you are playing the battle in scenario author test mode.

Thank you all Gentlemen...(I remember some of you from the early days...CMBO).

SO, I am trying to grasp the elevation issues with a small map...as suggested...but one thing especially confuses my aged head, after getting the elevation done, how do you add structures/trees/roads/walls etc when the elevation is not seen on the map except on

the "elevation" page??? Do you place the pieces there first, then add elevation???

I won't even ask about the AI right now...

My deep appreciation for the assistance & suggestions...

Archangel

Eveyone has their own sequence for adding various elements, and there's no 'right' or 'wrong' way to do it. Personally, I usually add elevations first (hint: use 'direct'), then roads, then field outlines, then buildings, then go back and check that they all mesh togehter ok, both in 2D and in 3D. Then fine details.

Hint: SHIFT+e (or CTRL+e ?) displays the tile elevations in all 2D map displays, so you can know where the high- and low-ground you've created lies.

You can take all your questions "upstairs" to the mod and map forum, and we would be more than happy to blather on about all sorts of scenario creation quesions. :)

Everyone misses the fact we have our own forum.

Welcome to the love-hate quest of scenario design.

----

To your question re: elevations vs terrain objects... draw a rough sketch on paper or whatever works for you to use as a guide, then ...

One method may be to draw your rough contour lines using Dirt or some other easily seen terrain type before doing anything else.

Then go to "elevations" and put in your locked tiles along those lines, that you can now see and reference from both screens.

Take a look in 3D preview, then adjust as needed.

You are on your way to many hours hunched over the screen obsessing over details.

Thank you all Gentlemen...(I remember some of you from the early days...CMBO).

SO, I am trying to grasp the elevation issues with a small map...as suggested...but one thing especially confuses my aged head, after getting the elevation done, how do you add structures/trees/roads/walls etc when the elevation is not seen on the map except on

the "elevation" page???

You press the "E" key.