Sign in to follow this  
TheWanderer

Two Monitor setup

I haven't personally done this myself, but I assume it should be possible to play across more than one monitor. In CMBN, from the main menu you will need to go to 'Options' and then 'Display Size' will need to be set to "Desktop" (this is the default).

Now your display will need to be set to have the desktop span across all your monitors. Windows potentially should view your desktop as one large resolution. If that is the case, and your video card can accelerate OpenGL across multiple monitors, then CMBN MIGHT view your 'desktop' size as all of your monitors.

The 'Display Size' will only list a few discrete resolutions and 'Desktop'. For the multi-monitor setup you HAVE to use 'Desktop'. CMBN does NOT list all of the possible resolutions that it will run at, just those few discrete resolutions and 'Desktop' and nothing else gets added to list other than by editing the 'display size.txt' file. The 'Desktop' resolution is whatever you are currently running the Windows Desktop at.

I know (but haven't personally used it myself) that CMSF supported the Matrox 'Triple Head to Go' video expander, supporting up to 3 displays. As far as I'm aware CMBN should still have that code in it. Getting it to work with the more common ATI/AMD and Nvidia multi-monitor setups may not be as consistent though. I have yet to try CMSF or CMBN with these setups, but it is possible that they may NOT work with a multi-monitor setup and prefer to run on a single display. This MAY come down to support for OpenGL in the video driver across multiple-monitors. Some of the initial menus and screens would probably display ONLY on one display since they are fixed in size (1024 x 768).

You could possible try editing the 'display size.txt' file and see if that gives you any different results (I assume that it won't, but it may be worth trying). The default file just has three zeroes with a space in between them ('0 0 0'). The first number is the horizontal resolution, the second one is the vertical resolution and the last one is the vertical refresh. So a 1280 x 1024 at 60Hz would be '1280 1024 60' (no quotation marks in the actual file though). If you know what the two monitor resolutions would be, you could come up with your own resolution. So two 1920 x 1080 displays may be 3840 x 1080 and the 'display size.txt' file may look like '3840 1080 60' (again, without the quote marks). If CMBN comes up scrambled, then you will have to kill it with the Windows Task Manager and then edit the 'display size.txt' file back to '0 0 0'.

With a multi-monitor setup (assuming it can work somehow) you would have to deal with the bezels being in the middle of the screen (assuming two displays), which may be quite annoying if they're fairly sizeable/thick.

For what it's worth I have run on two monitors - laptop and a much larger one. But, all I did was use the nVidia controls and whatever the computer controls are. I don't recall what I did, but it was quite easy. I didn't have to mess with the CM program or resolutions at all.

Erwin, I know what you're saying but I'm trying to spread my display over more than one monitor, not duplicate it on another moniter.

Schrullenhaft, I edited the file you mentioned and received the resolution option that I entered, 2880x900. I choose that option, restarted the game, but found I was still locked onto the one monitor at its native resolution. Rats.

Maybe let's go another way... How do you play this game in windowed mode? Because I should be able to stretch it any size I want, right?

Was a big Geforce guy, but switched to AMD/ATI 2 years ago - not familiar with their nForce multi-monitor drivers or suite. You do have the whole Nvidia sheebang, right? Not just the driver, the entire graphics suite? (For me, it's the Catalyst Control Center - more stuff than just the video card driver itself.)

Also, try pushing 60 Hz instead, just for the hell of it.

Sign in to follow this