Carentan Part I

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the old railway would have eventually been surrounded by habitation too - much as this one will be - theres houses to extend all the way to the old railway location anyway - i suppose here where it is now as well as being closer to reality it will make the fighting more intense - plus the old station was a very large metropolitan one - the real Carentan station is just a shed and some shelters and the track through - even what ive done here is an embelishment - more work tonight on what hopefully will be a fairly completed map bar the bells and whistles - then the AI

To undercovergeek,

Here after a Carentan map made from a German 1943 1:25000 one in 1951 by the US Army. No notable change from the 1944 time.

Yes, the track has told by LLF should be rather straighten than curve.

In Normandy the meadows were usually primary enclosed by the bocage and secondary by fences and more often wires when there were none.

The live stocks were prevented to cross the RR track by these when it was near the level of the meadow. When the bank was steep it might not be a necessity to do so. In the swamp area North West of the Carentan exit, the track was raised to avoid it being flooded.

That track was put on wood timbers to prevent it to sink slowly into the spongy ground. It is still underneath in place now days! That is, a real engineering feat.

Don’t worry too much about all the details, because if you do so, you will have to do your map again for the yard and the town emplacement. I really don’t think that this will change that much the pleasure we should have playing it in a near future, I hope so.

About the raised RR track, just one more thing,. The Germans train units horses wagons used it when they retreated from St Come du Mont to Carentan as long than it had been possible

carentantowndetailed1944.jpg

thanks snake_eye - yeah it looks like the station isnt supposed to go on the map at all - ill leave it where it is - its only a tiddler adding character to the map - the rail line too is a bit of fantasy - the editor allows 45 degrees or 90 when building the tracks theres no real tool for gentle bend.

Apart from a few personal touches the map is done right upto the town border on the railway side of the map - im just adding a few touches to the fields

Ok - lots of progress today - effectively all done except the town:-

cmnormandy2012021112043d.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

cmnormandy2012021112050.jpg

Bit closer - from maps and hollywood - the wall Lodz is pinned against under MG42 fire from the cafe/restaurant..........

cmnormandy2012021112065.jpg

.....after running down this hill

cmnormandy2012021112071.jpg

The courtyard behind the restaurant more of the company ran through to avoid the MG fire

cmnormandy2012021112082.jpg

Gorgeous work, UCGeek! Like most, I can live with your bend in the rail line as long as you understand that it changes the tactical nature of the line -- historically the straight track through the station would make a perfect fire lane for a tank or less likely an AT gun (since they wouldn't emplace out in plain sight of Jabos)

To Undercovergeek,

I have the same feeling and tactical thought than LLF. However, one has to be aware that the track, starting at the Ingouf café – RR crossing location was running straight and out of view in a shallow trench (cut through the rising slope going gently uphill). It was therefore not seen from the road leading from the causeway exit to the RR crossing.

They were no tanks in Carentan itself. They were seen and destroyed during the SS and FJ attempt to retake Carentan on the road coming from Périers and Gorges.

There were only 3 or 4 Stugs III (from memory ?).

It is only after the total retreat from Carentan, that SS panzers were engaged during the fight for Sainteny, coming from Périers area. Barckman fought there and destroyed numerous Shermans. The town was lost and retaken quite a few time before the Cobra break through took place

BTW if the German had just a few tanks in Carentan I don’t think that the CC coming fom Grand camp Maissy and Isigny would had been able to take it the way they did it.

All the usable roads and remaining bridges leading to the town would have been covered and there were just a few. There were, no other way to avoid the roads, but to get through the marshes. Besides sinking the tanks right away and having the infantry splashing around they would not have gone that far.

agree with you both, but as you say - there will be no AFV - i can however just scrap the station, it doesnt go there, and doesnt fit on the map, i just wanted a logical conclusion to the railway that runs all the way through the map - it seemed a bit anonymous and impersonal without a station at the end - im hoping to finish the actual map today - i will look at the area where i have the station and if my town plans ligically extend into this area ill get rid of it

More tutorial reading this evening as i learn how to place units on the map etc

To Undercovergeek,

Don’t scrape the RR station. It will be a pity, since it is rather well done. The only thing you could do, would be to have the RR track straighten. That I think from seeing your map can be done. The exact location of the RR station doesn’t matter. However you should have a small hill on the left side of the map with its slope going done gently toward the road leading to St Come du Mont. Don’t forget if you do so to sink in the ground the track. That way you could have reinforcements and or retreating troops going to and from the farm and not being seen from the causeway.

Downtown Carentan now with a straight railroad and more buildings:-

cmnormandy2012021320094.jpg

The railroad:-

cmnormandy2012021320102.jpg

Close up, marshes:-

cmnormandy2012021320150.jpg

Hidden tracks and ditch as opposed to raised railway - the farm can now be reinforced with out Allied observation:-

cmnormandy2012021320155.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...