Carentan Part I

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic work :)

Some remarks:

The battle for Carentan started with Dead Man's Corner at the start of the causeway. It would be nice to model that part too ;). I checked the canal near the Cole's farmhouse and it was less wide and less cultivated then you have modelled it at the moment imo. Check last photo.

Old map:

dmch.jpg

Your map:

newmn.jpg

Old photo

oldka.jpg

its 948 x 1405 - works fine on my 3 year old laptop - takes about 30 seconds to load the map

That's about 20,944 action squares -- and well within the 25,000 we've been tending to view as the playable limit for highly detailed and realistic maps. But it's hard to know for sure until you've completed sveral test games on it.

If there's a problem, it usually doesn't show up in loading or immediately in play. It shows up well into a game, often once there's a fair bit of smoke in the air and artillery missions in progress. It doesn't always happen. But if it does, then at some point the game hangs (usually, just as it starts to get really fun and interesting) and can't be rescued.

BFC has been sent files of these types of crashed games, so we just hope that there's a fix in the works for the next patch. It's happened even with some smaller user-maps, so size alone doesn't seem to be the cause. We don't even know whether it's something due to map size, some artillery bug, something related to the OOM issues, or some combination of all of the above.

So, here's hoping your fantastic Carentan map will play smoothly and completely at full size and detail. Great work!

To undercovergeek

Just, these few words, to tell you that your Railway station, besides being well done, is not at the right place. Look at the map of Jaws. The railway track merge with the road leading from the dead man corner to the center of Carentan. You have a well know picture showing the cafe standing at the railway crossing which was just before entering the station. BTW it was the farthest place where some leading FJ elements came to during their final counter attack. Prior to their retreat from Carentan.

The cabbage patch doesn’t exist anymore now days. It stands on either side of the road in the industrial estate right after the traffic circle that can be seen on google. It is today very difficult to match the ’44 area with the 2012 one. Ok, you area able to figure out where it is, but if you walk there you will have difficulties since the road lay out has been changed.

That doesn’t remove anything from your very well done map and that won’t change the fun of the battle you are planning doing on it.

Broadsword - yeah it should be ok plus the smoke wont be too much of an issue - if my reading serves me right, there were no AFVs for this battle until the counterattack

sburke - thanks for your praise, i dont know where it all started really as the 'BoB' entrance to Carentan wasnt actually the road they went in on and the little slope and the dash down to the cafe de normandie was present in COD many years before BoB but is still fairly abstracted

Snake eye - im not going to disagree with a man who drives down this road everyday.......... but if you look at Jaws black and white diagram the railway line bends round in a shallow curve and comes into town well beyond the 'famous' crossroads - this concurs with the pictures i have BUT again, like i say you drive down here - let me look into it more!!

thanks for everyones feedback

To Undercovergeek

Quote //

Snake eye - im not going to disagree with a man who drives down this road everyday.......... but if you look at Jaws black and white diagram the railway line bends round in a shallow curve and comes into town well beyond the 'famous' crossroads - this concurs with the pictures i have BUT again, like i say you drive down here - let me look into it more!!

End quote//

Well you agree with what I wrote earlier. Jaws map is right, but yours is not correct for the railway station. Besides the canal on the right of the road is not shown.

I wrote you :

//Just, these few words, to tell you that your Railway station, besides being well done, is not at the right place. Look at the map of Jaws. The railway track merge with the road leading from the dead man corner to the center of Carentan. You have a well know picture showing the cafe standing at the railway crossing which was just before entering the station.//

The Ingouf cafe at the railway crossroad. The station platform is on the left about 150 meters away. The yard a little bit farther down. The railway station is parallel to the road coming from St Come du Mont, after the curve starting more or less at the railway crossroad.

IngoufcafeCarentan.jpg

Here after the map of Jaws put in transparency over your battle map. See the difference of location for the second canal on the right of the map and for the railway station.

Cheers

realmap44.jpg

We do need to remember that we can't recreate a battlefield a full 100%, it's still a game after all and some freedom has to be taken so it works better game wise, the same is done in movies that are created from novels, like Saving Private Ryan. There were was no Panzerdivision in the area at that time, but they put it in for a better looking battle.

To Undercovergeek

Quote //

End quote//

Well you agree with what I wrote earlier. Jaws map is right, but yours is not correct for the railway station. Besides the canal on the right of the road is not shown.

I wrote you :

//Just, these few words, to tell you that your Railway station, besides being well done, is not at the right place. Look at the map of Jaws. The railway track merge with the road leading from the dead man corner to the center of Carentan. You have a well know picture showing the cafe standing at the railway crossing which was just before entering the station.//

The Ingouf cafe at the railway crossroad. The station platform is on the left about 150 meters away. The yard a little bit farther down. The railway station is parallel to the road coming from St Come du Mont, after the curve starting more or less at the railway crossroad.

IngoufcafeCarentan.jpg

Here after the map of Jaws put in transparency over your battle map. See the difference of location for the second canal on the right of the map and for the railway station.

Cheers

realmap44.jpg

perfect snake eye - thats brilliant - someday ill have a chat with you about how you did the layover thing for future maps - man thats amazing - and my map making skills are more accurate than i thought!! ;)

So to get this right - you come down the slope into Carentan towards the cafe, turn right, and 150 yards down there is the station and rail buildings? i have been obviously tainted by the traditional piano in the middle of the road and housing all the way down the left and right and a courtyard - as often displayed in the CoD games which im trying desperately not to recreate!

So bring the station across the top of the map until its 150 m down the road from the crossroads ive built - there will be a certain amount of abstraction as the railway stands at the back of my map but it will add a bit of character and different playing enviroment

Look at the Ingouf cafe location at the railway crossroad. The station platform is on the left about 150 meters away. The yard a little bit farther down. The railway station is parallel to the road coming from St Come du Mont, after the curve starting more or less at the railway crossing.

The ground on the left side (number 1) is going up till the ground is level with hill 30 ( not to be confused with the same height hill where took place the Bloody Gulch battle – on the height of Pommenaude) on the road of Carentan to Périers. There is a well known picture of that place with a US AT pointing toward Sainteny and GI’s gathered around.

The AT is sighted toward Sainteny. The SS panzer Stug III (or IV ?), seen in the back, was destroyed while retreating from that area earlier.

ATgunhill30.jpg

The ground (number 2) is forming a gentle slope. The railway track runs through it from the marshes area till it reaches a point 100 meters before the railway crossing. From there the track runs on level grounds through the railway station and from there, across the marshes found at the end of the town and that all the way to the next station toward Caen.

correctyardarea.jpg

Look at the Ingouf cafe location at the railway crossroad. The station platform is on the left about 150 meters away. The yard a little bit farther down. The railway station is parallel to the road coming from St Come du Mont, after the curve starting more or less at the railway crossing.

The ground on the left side (number 1) is going up till the ground is level with hill 30 ( not to be confused with the same height hill where took place the Bloody Gulch battle – on the height of Pommenaude) on the road of Carentan to Périers. There is a well known picture of that place with a US AT pointing toward Sainteny and GI’s gathered around.

The AT is sighted toward Sainteny. The SS panzer Stug III (or IV ?), seen in the back, was destroyed while retreating from that area earlier.

ATgunhill30.jpg

The ground (number 2) is forming a gentle slope. The railway track runs through it from the marshes area till it reaches a point 100 meters before the railway crossing. From there the track runs on level grounds through the railway station and from there, across the marshes found at the end of the town and that all the way to the next station toward Caen.

correctyardarea.jpg

brilliant snake-eye thank you very much for this - do you have maps i dont or are you very familar with the area? Can you tell me if the ground is mostly marshy where you have put the number 2 symbol - i know theres marshes around the front end of the town, just wasnt clear where

it appears to me my map isnt deep enough for this without a certain level of abstraction - if i go deeper were getting up into the high squares count and i want to avoid that - so its either a very abbreviated carentan frontage (my plan all along to be honest) or some twisting of the facts - i have attempted to stay true to the countryside so far so i will put a narrow town frontage on using your details - thanks

To undercovergeek,

I shall try to find something that could help you. However I don't have at the moment these documents and maps with me. If I find them elsewhere I shall post them.

The ground at the edge of Carentan was at the time full of marshes resulting in the flooding Rommel had ordered with the gates at la Barquette. The road was safe but on either side the ground was spongy. It took nearly five years from the time Carentan was liberated to dry the areas being flooded. You have to imagine that the grounds in 1944 where flooded from the road down the dead man corner all the way to the end of the causeway and on either side. That had been ordered sometimes in march or april.

I shall check that also as soon as I can.

Cheers

To undercovergeek,

I shall try to find something that could help you. However I don't have at the moment these documents and maps with me. If I find them elsewhere I shall post them.

The ground at the edge of Carentan was at the time full of marshes resulting in the flooding Rommel had ordered with the gates at la Barquette. The road was safe but on either side the ground was spongy. It took nearly five years from the time Carentan was liberated to dry the areas being flooded. You have to imagine that the grounds in 1944 where flooded from the road down the dead man corner all the way to the end of the causeway and on either side. That had been ordered sometimes in march or april.

I shall check that also as soon as I can.

Cheers

more designing tonight - ill post shots asap

Oh yes. I still have flashbacks about running around in the rubble of Carentan, trying to find that &$@)$ crate of Panzerfausts. Oh, and the endless human wave of German counter attackers that emerge right after you capture that MG42.

Yes and COD clan matches

Ok, lets try again, please be in the right place!!

The revamped, down-scaled Carentan station, the first was a bit 'grand':-

cmnormandy2012020923541.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Front end of Carentan (north):-

cmnormandy2012021000312.jpg

Map so far, to build - a hill in the southwest corner, approaching bocage and borders all the way up to the town, marsh area infront of the town and then the town itself:-

cmnormandy2012021000002.jpg