Carentan Part I

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and the Extremely Useful aerial shots....

viewofcarentan.jpg

carentanfromtheair.jpg

I hope I'm not hijacking your thread here. As you may know, I kind of dig mapping cities....

not at all - i dont know how far ill get into Carentan 'town centre' i was provisionally looking at the first 4 'rows' of estate but may go further with a VP flag at the statue

thanks for pics

Hmmm.... tempting next project. Hmmm....

But no, I've promised the CMSF faithful to get back to Ramadi once I've completely exhausted the le Carillon - la Meauffe Greater Metropolitan Area.

In any case, did significant Aachen-style infantry fighting (i.e. suitable CM scenario material) take place in the city centre once the 101st "cracked the crust" of the FJ defenses at the edge of town? Most of the damage in the centre looks like artillery or aerial bombs.... with maybe a sniper holdout or two getting his perch hosed down with bullets.

Hmmm.... tempting next project. Hmmm....

But no, I've promised the CMSF faithful to get back to Ramadi once I've completely exhausted the le Carillon - la Meauffe Greater Metropolitan Area.

In any case, did significant Aachen-style infantry fighting (i.e. suitable CM scenario material) take place in the city centre once the 101st "cracked the crust" of the FJ defenses at the edge of town? Most of the damage in the centre looks like artillery or aerial bombs.... with maybe a sniper holdout or two getting his perch hosed down with bullets.

exactly - ive read a bit about the battle in researching the map - once the 'frontier' of the town at the crossroads end had been taken a full withdrawal due to lack of ammo was ordered and the germans disappeared over the ridge south of the town, returning the next day for the battle of bloddy gulch seen in the second part of BoB when the 2nd Arm Div turn up

Map has now reached the Eastern edge where the railway track comes on to the map - these are shots of the small village that the Germans fell back to from the main farm area before they were finally pushed back over the railway lines and the Allies advanced south into the town - a lot of paratroopers were killed in the claustrophobic orchard/walled passageways linking the village to the main roadway.... anyway...........:-

cmnormandy2012012221564.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

cmnormandy2012012221025.jpg

cmnormandy2012012221550.jpg

cmnormandy2012012221552.jpg

cmnormandy2012012221555.jpg

thanks for feedback - its bizarre - so far ive spent the money for the game (and worth ever penny) designing this map and looking at vehicles with an occassional dabble into the tutorial level, although i did spend an awful lot of time on the demo levels - incredible fun. Trying to do justice to the topography seen from the overhead maps is a little difficult and sometimes hard - i hope when its done it reflects the battle and people enjoy the map - its very rewarding

Awesome map, can not wait to download it. I had been trying to create the Urban areas... by using aerials... the photos here are excellent. However doing the Urban areas is crazy... Carentan is alot bigger then I expected. Anyways where would the city of Carentan be in reference to your map? South, as the Ingoug Farm I believe is North of Carentan on the Causway. I know there was an urban battle.. and the Fallschirmjagers retreated back, and then counterattacked. Is the map you created the area where the Us forces first advanced upon Carentan?

I have been waiting for the Commonwealth forces to come out, as you will be able to use Fallshirmjager Forces.. I think. Anyways have been getting lots of pictures and aireals for Villers Bocage.

Awesome map, can not wait to download it. I had been trying to create the Urban areas... by using aerials... the photos here are excellent. However doing the Urban areas is crazy... Carentan is alot bigger then I expected. Anyways where would the city of Carentan be in reference to your map? South, as the Ingoug Farm I believe is North of Carentan on the Causway. I know there was an urban battle.. and the Fallschirmjagers retreated back, and then counterattacked. Is the map you created the area where the Us forces first advanced upon Carentan?

I have been waiting for the Commonwealth forces to come out, as you will be able to use Fallshirmjager Forces.. I think. Anyways have been getting lots of pictures and aireals for Villers Bocage.

Youre right - the Allies came into the area from the north, battled across bridge 4 (the start of the map), and after a days fighting at close range ended up charging the Germans at bayonet point in the Ingouf Farm, forcing them to withdraw to the village at the foot of the railway lines and eventually withdraw over the railway and South into Carentan. Then reinforcements were called in to advance on the town itself - and yes youre right again, it was much bigger than i thought too!!!

PS ignore the compass on the maps for now!!

Unfortunately, Fallschirmjäger will not be present in the Commonwealth module, only SS and Luftwaffe Field Division troops.

Hello Blucher! as a Beta Tester you may be privy as to why are we not seeing the Fallschirmjäger as a patch, or added into the Common wealth module?

I find it odd as they fought all throughout the Normandy Campaign and in defense thereof later. It would be nice to include them as they played pivitol parts in the Normandy campaign.

Im sure this has been discussed but I still am at odds. It definetly will not stop me from purchasing the common wealth but... its just odd. It is difficlut to make halfway realistic scenerios in regards to the Peninsula Normandy area. Carentan, Normandy, Brest. afterwich they were primarily Luftwaffe Div with honoray title of Fallschirmjager.... as para operations were pretty much out the window by that time.. mid 1944 ish.

Hello Blucher! as a Beta Tester you may be privy as to why are we not seeing the Fallschirmjäger as a patch, or added into the Common wealth module?

I find it odd as they fought all throughout the Normandy Campaign and in defense thereof later. It would be nice to include them as they played pivitol parts in the Normandy campaign.

Im sure this has been discussed but I still am at odds. It definetly will not stop me from purchasing the common wealth but... its just odd. It is difficlut to make halfway realistic scenerios in regards to the Peninsula Normandy area. Carentan, Normandy, Brest. afterwich they were primarily Luftwaffe Div with honoray title of Fallschirmjager.... as para operations were pretty much out the window by that time.. mid 1944 ish.

Hi Ghostrider,

I am only allowed to provide information that BFC has already released publicly, which includes what forces will be included in the Commonwealth module (and which ones, by their omission from this list, will not ;)). I'm not sure if BFC has publicly released their plans for Fallschirmjäger, so I'm afraid that in order to be safe, I can't comment on that, unfortunately.

Sorry to disappoint, but rules are rules. ;)

-FMB

From a business POV, this makes sense -- with the ETO's major combatant armies all present with the release of the CW module, the "Market Garden et al" module is going to need to have a lot of goodies in it to attract buyers.

My guess is that in addition to FJ and Volksgrenadiers, a lot of said goodies will have to do with the fall 1944 city fights, like Arnhem/Nijmegen, Aachen, Le Havre/Boulogne, s'Hertogenbosch, as well as perhaps backdating to the Liberation of Paris (remember that wonderful Tuileries fight from CMBO?) and maybe the sieges of Brest and Cherbourg.

So maybe we'll get some nice grimy brick industrial buildings, railway infrastructure and whatnot. And flamethrowers to burn them down with -- those little horrors alone would bring in a lot of buyers.

OK, we now (hopefully) return you to your scheduled Carentan thread....

Steve said the FJ will be in the Market Garden module. They decided to wait until then so they could put the proper work/time into getting them right...there was too much to do for the Commonwealth module and he didn't have the proper amount of time to concentrate on them like he wanted...well, that's paraphrasing it but basically what he said.

Mord.

Mord.

Having looked at pages and pages of overhead photographs - it never occurred to me that everything in this section was part of the Ingouf farm - its massive!! Anyway almost all the 'detail' work has been completed here - from now southwards its pasture and fields with bocage borders - much easier to do, until i get to the outskirts of the town that is...........

cmnormandy2012012921353.jpg

Ingouf's lands with the irrigation canal:-

cmnormandy2012012921424.jpg

Map so far:-

cmnormandy2012012921554.jpg

Top end of irrigation canal and service barns of the Ingouf farm:-

cmnormandy2012012921583.jpg