Aris Terrain Version 2.0 WIP

Fuser

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mord, tree textures are the most difficult stuff to mod in CMBN IMHO. Actually, what we see in the game is the result of a single doodad (a branch with leaves) texture (and 3d Model) repeated many many times. That might be the culprit for slow performance when trees are turned on in fact. Doodads, shrubs, plants or any other foliage it´s very tough to modify, as there are barely no resources on the net for this kind of stuff, and modifying an already photoreal texture it´s often a loss of time. I did, however, modify them in terms of saturation, lightness and contrast to avoid that nuclear green and blend them with the terrain.

Mord, tree textures are the most difficult stuff to mod in CMBN IMHO. Actually, what we see in the game is the result of a single doodad (a branch with leaves) texture (and 3d Model) repeated many many times. That might be the culprit for slow performance when trees are turned on in fact. Doodads, shrubs, plants or any other foliage it´s very tough to modify, as there are barely no resources on the net for this kind of stuff, and modifying an already photoreal texture it´s often a loss of time. I did, however, modify them in terms of saturation, lightness and contrast to avoid that nuclear green and blend them with the terrain.

Yeah, I am with you...I tried to mod a tree a few weeks ago and it was an exercise in frustration. Wasted a good three hours with crappy results.

That's cool that you tweaked the coloring 'cause even with all the different terrain mods I haven't found any that look quite right.

Mord.

Wish the wooden bridge could look a bit more worn, broken down, bits missing, bents etc like old wood bridges get - (actually don't they get eventually grey/greenish-ish with moss etc after exposure to weather). But, I understand that the way the thing was set-up by BF may make that not possible.

Wish the wooden bridge could look a bit more worn, broken down, bits missing, bents etc like old wood bridges get - (actually don't they get eventually grey/greenish-ish with moss etc after exposure to weather). But, I understand that the way the thing was set-up by BF may make that not possible.

i see green on the ends of the planks on the footbridge

The only "bit" left it´s the paved road texture. This mod has been the most challenging task for me since I started modding CMxx! I will release it tomorrow. It will have to be 2 or 3 archives. CMMODS will have the whole file version.

When you say releasing it tomorrow..when exactly is tomorrow for you?

I think you expect too much from this mod... The graphics change but the game remains the same, hehe. Seriously, there are some limitations (author´s first, and engine´s later), that prevent creating 3d effects (bump mapping, specular effects)...stock texture size, etc. I think that BFC did an awesome job with stock textures working with this graphic engine, ...in fact , mine are just an alternative depending on how you think about it...CMBN will look odd to your eyes as you load the mod the first time. It will need some time to get used to the new textures,...Even some maps I already played look very different now.

Paving roads are the most difficult part of this mod. There is NO way (with my current skills) to create roads that don´t look like chess boards. Roads, (especially roads...), have a repetitive pattern, and when the battle uses long roads the repetition its so evident, that there is no other way but to create very regular pavement. I may leave them out of this mod eventually, as the quality I am achievieng it´s crap. There is no space for creativity, hehe.

P.S: Uploading as I write,...roads and some other textures will have to wait....I stopped having fun modding them,...and modding it´s enjoying it after all!