Sign in to follow this  
soleboy

Invisible soldiers

Hi

I've seen this posted in a few places, with no conclusive solution. The demo has worked fine, but when playing the actual game - the soldiers are invisible except for guns and helmets.

I have a Windows 7 PC 64bit with a Nvidia Geforce GT 220 video card, now with latest drivers on, but still no solution. Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I can't remember if it is one way or the other, but one thing I've seen is the 'Compatibility mode' setting for the game.

Right-click on the shortcut that launches CMBN and select 'Properties' from the popup menu. In here go to the 'Compatibility' tab and at the top of this tab is the 'Compatibility mode' section. This is where I can't remember what setting some customers were using. I believe it may have been to UNCHECK the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:". If that is already unchecked, then possibly CHECKING it and setting it for 'Windows XP (Service Pack 3)' should work. I believe having NO compatibility mode setting is what has worked in the past.

The only way I've been able to duplicate this setting is via the Nvidia Control Panel's 3D Management settings. Setting "Extension Limit" to "ON" seems to cause this problem. So that setting needs to be set to the default of "OFF".

Thanks for the prompt reply, I did try that comparability setting which was unchecked and did try Windows XP - but that was before installing the latest video drivers, so will try again.

I'll also look at the NVidia control panel - many thanks.

Hi

I tried the various compatibility settings and selected a few other options as directed by people trying to get other games working in this mode, but no luck.

In my Nvidia settings there is no extension limit option, I did read - try to roll your card driver back - to see if it appears, but think this is starting to clutch at straws.

It really is the most odd of problems, but I have seen that I'm not alone with it, hopefully someone will have a solution that's tried and tested up on this forum soon enough.

Thanks for trying to help :-)

One major issue with resolving this problem is that we can't duplicate this problem that some customers are seeing. The only way I've been able to duplicate this problem is with an Nvidia video card and having the 'Extension Limit' set to ON (which is NOT the default). This particular setting doesn't even seem to be available with some of the latest Nvidia video drivers. On the AMD Radeons I haven't personally seen this issue at all.

We've had about a half dozen people report this problem, where the demo works fine, but the full version has the invisible troops. The only solution that we've heard worked so far was changing their 'Compatibility' mode settings for the full version to OFF (they had gotten set for some reason, possibly during the install). There is no particular video driver, video card or OS that is causing this problem, but it does happen for a few people.

With Nvidia video cards there are 'profiles' for games that can be set, though none come default from Nvidia for CMBN. For the Radeon there isn't such a setting within the Catalyst drivers to our knowledge, though there are 'profiles' for the Crossfire implementations. CMBN doesn't work with Crossfire or SLI, so that should be disabled if necessary (I assume that it would ignore the Crossfire/SLI setup if it were enabled).

If the demo works and the full version doesn't, then something is targeting the full version for an unique setting of some sort. Outside of the copy-protection code, there is little different between the full version and the demo and nothing that would cause this issue to my knowledge.

I had this problem with invisible soldiers (groups of rifles floating just above the ground) and I have fixed it on my machine. On Windows 7 I had the compatibility settings for the game (right click the short-cut for the game and open Properties) set to Windows XP SP3. I unchecked the check box to remove the compatibility setting and restarted the game. Voila! My pixel-truppen were back.

Hope that works for you too!

I started having this problem on my Mac after updating from 10.7.2 to 10.7.3. The demo and full game both worked until after the update, then invisible soldiers.

CM Battle for Normandy v1.01

MacBook Air (2009)

2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

2 GB memory, 128GB SSD

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

There are new Nvidia video drivers with 10.7.3 apparently. I'm not sure of the full implications of these updated drivers, but you're obviously running into an issue.

Make sure that in your 'Options' menu that 'antialiasing/multisample' is set to 'OFF'.

I have experimented with various combinations without success. I have played games the last couple days using the settings for a MacBook Air shown in the Mac performance guide -- vertical sync on, 3D modeling fast, 3D texture balanced, anti-alias off, high priority on. I can only see the soldiers equipment such as binoculars, helmets, pistols and other weapons.

I did find that having shadows on is a very bad thing. When the 3D game window opens, the scene is extremely distorted and almost immediately locks up the computer. I have to do a hard shutdown.

It looks like Apple has a defective set of video drivers that they've included with 10.7.3. The only resolution for this is when Apple updates those drivers again or possibly rolling back to 10.7.2. I'm not sure when Apple may update the drivers to address what you're seeing, but there have already been a number of complaints about the latest drivers (not specifically relating to CMBN though).

I don't know if this will address any particular issues with what is provided with the OS 10.7.3 update (via 'Software Update') or if it just fixes some of the "CUI" issues that a number of people have reported with the 10.7.3 upgrade (most likely):

Installing the 10.7.3 Combo update—a 1.2GB download from Apple’s website—on top of your existing 10.7.3 installation reportedly remedies the problems introduced from Software Update.

OS X Lion Update 10.7.3 (Client Combo)

I appreciate your replies! Thanks for the update link, but I always do system updates using the combo version after clearing caches, and repairing permissions before and after. It must be the new drivers. The game is still playable, it's just difficult to really tell what is going on. Additional fog of war! :confused:

Just got myself the latest iMac (20"/2.7Ghz/4GB/1TB) that has an AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5. I go to play CMBN and low and behold, invisible soldiers! Others so far have mentioned this problem with Lion however I'm running Mac OS 10.6.6 on this Mac.

Interestingly, my MacBook Pro which has a AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB chipset and is running 10.6.7 has no such issue.

I've yet to do graphic configuration testing but will do so to see if I can get my army to de-cloak!

I would go up to 10.6.7/8 and see if that helps. There were some pretty severe driver issues in 10.6.5 and Apple didn't really get them all fixed until 10.6.8. Let me know how that goes, if you can.

As for the Lion issues... yeah, looks like Apple's newest drivers have some problems as well.

I'll see if there's anything we can do on our end, but with problematic drivers our options can be limited.

I was under the impression that the late-2011 iMacs would only work with OS 10.7.x. Is this an 'early-2011' iMac ? There's a mention in the 10.6.7 update for early iMacs about "Address issues with graphics stability and 3D performance".

I heard from one user that 10.7.3 worked fine on their MacBook Pro using a GeForce 8600M GT. So the Nvidia driver issue with 10.7.3 is quite possibly limited to certain Nvidia chips and will not universally ruin CMBN if installed. The MacBook Air apparently has a GeForce 9400M in it, but I don't know which particular GeForces may see this problem with the new drivers (possibly GeForce 9xxx series and newer).

I did the CMBN 1.10 for Mac update over the weekend. Same problem of invisible soldiers, but now the unit names/descriptions are incorrect. All infantry are now airborne engineers and a machine-gun might be identified as a T72. Also, do not get any text casualty reports. Makes for an interesting game when you can't see the troops and not completely sure who you are moving.

I downloaded the new 1.10 demo this morning and, except for a little lag in my wireless mouse, it appears to work correctly. I checked permissions after the install and before testing both installs of CMBN. Ideas?

still using MacBook Air

OS 10.7.3

2.13 GHz Core 2 Duo

2 GB SSD

Safari 5.1.3

I just deleted the old demo folder and the game folder from the application folder along with their cache. The new demo remains on the desktop where I installed it this morning. I downloaded new copies of the game and update files. The game was installed in the application folder and I then ran the updater. The app says v1.10. I ran a permission check after the install.

Using the same roadblock training scenario: The soldiers are now visible in the regular game app. The unit info is still corrupt, though. The 1st platoon HQ is listed as 1st sniper HQ with T-72MIV in the top right corner of the box, and its ammo types are Airborne ATGM and Airborne Engineer. The 2nd squad is listed as just 2nd with T-72 in the corner, and its ammo types are Airborne Engineer, Airborne fighting vehicle, grenade, and 66mm K18. I have never downloaded any others CM games on this computer. When I try the new demo, the soldiers are visible and have the correct unit info.

Interesting! There are a number of additional or strange files in the CMBN Document folder that are not in the Demo's document folder. Who is Greg and why is there a "greg email" in the documents folder? The v1.10 patch installer was downloaded from the GamersHell link. I also found a CMSF icon in the CMBN app/package contents/resources folder.

extra files

CMBN Commonwealth Forces Mac ReadMe.txt

CMBN Commonwealth Forces Manual print.pdf

CMBN Commonwealth Forces Manual.pdf

CMBN Commonwealth Forces ReadMe.txt

(I assume this one is OK) CMBN Game Manual print.pdf

greg email.rtf

room code.rtf

Versioncheck.url

I have the same problem. There are only floating weapons and vehicles without crews, Panther tank is invisible too. My system is windows XP. I tried averything to fix it but nothing works. I would be glad if someone would find solution for it. My graphic card is nvidia GeForce gt 220.

I'm not sure what the solution is to this problem. For a few users it was 'turning off' the Compatibility mode setting that the game was set to (under Windows Vista or Windows 7). I have been able to reproduce this problem on a Windows 8 computer using a GeForce 8800GTS. Nothing I've tried has restored the missing infantry figures ('floating helmets and small arms'). What's truly baffling is that the Demo version may be fine, but the full version will have the problem. Reinstalling the full version doesn't seem to correct the problem.

I haven't been able to narrow this down to any particular OS, video card or driver. I've seen reports of this on Windows XP and 7 and MacOS. AMD or Nvidia based video cards have experienced this problem. No setting within the Catalyst Control Center or the Nvidia Control Panel has changed the disappearing soldiers (with the slight exception of Nvidia having an 'Extension limit = on' causing the problem). I can't find any issues with permissions on any of the files being incorrect (Windows or Mac). None of the resource files seem to be corrupted nor are any mods loaded that could cause an issue.

However I wonder if an uniform mod was loaded if the soldiers would then appear or not.

I'm not sure what the solution is to this problem. For a few users it was 'turning off' the Compatibility mode setting that the game was set to (under Windows Vista or Windows 7). I have been able to reproduce this problem on a Windows 8 computer using a GeForce 8800GTS. Nothing I've tried has restored the missing infantry figures ('floating helmets and small arms'). What's truly baffling is that the Demo version may be fine, but the full version will have the problem. Reinstalling the full version doesn't seem to correct the problem.

I haven't been able to narrow this down to any particular OS, video card or driver. I've seen reports of this on Windows XP and 7 and MacOS. AMD or Nvidia based video cards have experienced this problem. No setting within the Catalyst Control Center or the Nvidia Control Panel has changed the disappearing soldiers (with the slight exception of Nvidia having an 'Extension limit = on' causing the problem). I can't find any issues with permissions on any of the files being incorrect (Windows or Mac). None of the resource files seem to be corrupted nor are any mods loaded that could cause an issue.

However I wonder if an uniform mod was loaded if the soldiers would then appear or not.

I've got the phantom soldier issue with Windows 8 as well. Like you, Schrullenhaft, I've tried every permutation between OS, video card (nvidia gtx 275) imaginable without success. Demo works fine.

Have you tried installing CMBN without Commonwealth but with the 1.10 patch? I would give it a go but I'm getting worried about the activation limit (I thimk Win 8 RTM will be released to the MS technet crowd within the next couple of weeks, and like the idiot I am, I'll jump right into it:)

Anyway, I'm sure user migration to Windows 8 will be slow, so I won't hold my breath for a fix/ You do a great job btw Schrullenhaft.

Reed

Sign in to follow this