"The Farm" Tournament - OFFICIAL SIGN-UP

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost done (both the game and me, that is). Curious if the Germans have won any....managed to get the better of the first exchange, when I catched some US soldiers crossing the road with my MG, after that my men mainly functioned as targets, never being able to see or hit the enemy.

Almost done (both the game and me, that is). Curious if the Germans have won any....managed to get the better of the first exchange, when I catched some US soldiers crossing the road with my MG, after that my men mainly functioned as targets, never being able to see or hit the enemy.

If this becomes true, then it is a sad fact as to how the format is done, personnally, you have 8 games going in each bracket. The ones that should move on is the 4 best American scores and the 4 best German scores, then you do not have to worry about the scenario being balenced. For a hobby that has been around as long as it has, most of the Tournaments and ladders do not have good rules to reward the best play.

But we all were willing to play by the format he placed before us. I figure there will be some German winners, skill does impact these games even if balence is not always there. but when results are in, then you can see how balenced it looks

There is no perfect scoring system. Some, notably the Rumblings of War series, have a very complex system in place to try to get as close as possible to balanced results. I opted for a very simple and admittedly flawed system because, as I noted in the original discussion, this was a very impromptu and informal tournament, and I have little interest in spending any additional time or effort calculating scores. The scenarios were designed to be balanced as much as possible, but goes without saying that some may have lopsided results, for a whole variety of reasons.

I think once we have the first round results, and especially the associated AARs, we will have a far better sample from which to draw conclusions.

I enjoyed the game even while gettng slaughtered, and the fact that I lost, isn't an indication that all Germans are loosing.... I was just curious.

In my opinion the organizer of the tournament sets the rules, if you don't like it, you should not join. In single elimination tournaments you always run the risk of a not complete balanced game, bad luck or pairing ug up with the absolute champion f the game in the first round.

I laughed at this quote,"my men mainly functioned as targets". Thats a sweet way to put it.

My game just wrapped up. I will save details for AAR, but want to comment of fairness issues. There is a lot of luck in a scenario this size. Very small turns of luck can move the first engagement one way or another. If you win the first real encounter big the lead is probably insurmountable for the other side. A bocage map probably makes this worse because that first fight can be at thirty feet. Suppression becomes fatal very quickly at that range.

As mentioned by sly sniper though, we knew most if not all of this when we signed up. Imagine the poor guy two weeks into a year tour in the sandbox who realizes the recruiting sergeant might have been sugarcoating things, just a little bit.

Mine is still going. I feel that fortunes have flip flopped a bit. I had an early disaster followed by a big success followed by some later problems. The great thing about this game, as you all know, is one side really does not know the state of the other. I have made some inferences about the state of the other side but I will leave those recorded in a file for sharing in the AAR.

My game just wrapped up. I will save details for AAR, but want to comment of fairness issues. There is a lot of luck in a scenario this size. Very small turns of luck can move the first engagement one way or another. If you win the first real encounter big the lead is probably insurmountable for the other side. A bocage map probably makes this worse because that first fight can be at thirty feet. Suppression becomes fatal very quickly at that range.

As mentioned by sly sniper though, we knew most if not all of this when we signed up. Imagine the poor guy two weeks into a year tour in the sandbox who realizes the recruiting sergeant might have been sugarcoating things, just a little bit.

+1 to Dan the California man. Anytime you are playing a small sized battle (bocage or not) one little mistake or misfortune is very difficult if not impossible to overcome.

I entered this tournament to have some fun and to hopefully meet some new playing partners. I was successful on both and am now playing another scenario with my opponent and we are having a great time.

A big cheer to Bimmer for taking the time to organize this.....let's keep things positive.

:D

I tend to agree that small scenarios like this one - small in terms of both map and force - can be decided in a single exchange, or they can play out as a sort of cat-and-mouse game, depending on the style of play and a good degree of luck (or lack thereof). The follow-on scenarios are built on the same map, so no surprises there, but the force structures and missions are quite different. I think each one will play out rather differently and be diverse enough to keep people interested.

I'm looking forward to reading the AARs. Carry on.