Official AAR: Global Conflict Gold

OK - back on the wagon.

I decided to zoom out and give you guys a view of Western Europe. This really is a classic mincing machine as the German armed forces are crushed from both sides. Start of the turn was this:

Europe1.jpg

And after a pounding from both West and East the German strike power was knocked back further. Essen fell in the West; East Prussia is surrounded and soon allied forces will also pour into Italy. 3 more turns could well end it.

Europe2.jpg

Out in the Pacific I wanted to unleash hell too, but rain everywhere and high seas made it impossible. I bagged another Japanese Special Forces unit in Burma, and did yet more damage in China, but will need to wait for better weather to do anything really significant.

The end is near.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Okay... it's almost over... I have been struggling hard to slow Al down and as you can see there is significant pressure on both fronts in the West. It is ugly. Good thing for me... the weather has begun to change. :P

Ger134.jpg

Nothing to report in Asia.

Death throes of Hitler's regime. Several units in the East destroyed - winter likely to prolong it until Spring, but nothing Marc can do. No need for a graphic to extend his pain...

At this stage worth pointing out to new players again that one of the reasons for this very swift and copmprehensive annihilation of Germany is soft builds. If you want a close game regardless of territory and mpps then do not play with it on. It has allowed me to create a Russian army that spans the entire territory of western Europe - totally unrealistic if you ask me. Keep armies to bounds set by the game, and then there is always the chance of a fightback.

In the pacific I have decided to change tack - not that I had really started on a tack at all while Germany is destroyed, but a change nonetheless and one that should bring action to show you soon. British Burmese army destroyed Jap armour in Thailand and the Chinese took out a corps. Japan's misery will come...

• 2 weeks later...

Okay... back from my trip. Still hanging in there. Just barely. Looks like Germany will survive into 45. I struck back at Al in a number of places as he closes in. I damaged a number of infantry units, destroying a US army and a Russian corps. This is the German position.

Been an excellent game so far. I have done everything I can to delay Al's advance as long as possible... I feel I have been fairly successful in my goal. Not sure how much longer I can hold him off. Good fun!

GermanyPosition.jpg

Nothing to report in Asia.

If you look carefully at the images of the last few turns you will also notice how to pretty much hang onto the same front. It has been a collosal effort especially considering the overwhelming force against me. There is only soo much space on the front... damaging a number of units in targeted counter-attacks limits what your opponent can do as he has to replace those losses. Sometimes damaged units are able to keep fresh units from coming to the front sooner. Sadly... I am really at the end of what I am able to do delay wise. I am hoping full winter sets in as quickly as possible. :P

Winter set in - Europe snowed over. I chose to take the turn to reinforce every units in Europe I could, whether that be US, UK or Russian. Such is my vast mpp pot that I have done it and still got lots left over... in the case of the Soviets 1800mpps left over.

The only action was to pull the trigger in Manchuria and send the Red Army in. Wasnt an especially big invasion, but took one city and made space for more Red reinforcements to come into the area. As soon as Japanese forces move to intercept I will unleash the Chinese army that is champing at the bit. In fact localised attacks that turn saw the Chinese destroy one Japanese Army, and further west the British Burmese Army liberated Thailand.

• 3 weeks later...

Al and I have discussed this... and I surrender. It has been a bit difficult getting turns out the last few weeks as we both have a lot going on. There is also a super-duper secret project we are working on for Hubert… its been taking up some time! No spoilers here… but you will all love it when it’s released!

AAR wise… our game is effectively done. The Axis is on her last legs. Germany would have fallen in the next two possibly three turns and Japan is starving. A strong breeze would knock her over.

Al played masterfully and I congratulate him on his win. I made a strategic error by not pushing my offensive in 42 though I sensed Al was stronger than I was… I feel that had I done so… the game would have ended much sooner… as I would have wasted my strength and made it easy for him to push on Berlin. It was still one heck of a game and I enjoyed it. When I play Al it is like a chess match.

We are going to take a 2 week break… things should be quieter for both of us and then we are going to switch sides and play the game with the latest version. I am looking forward to the next AAR! I hope you are too.

I know this AAR is over with but I just looked at the number of views for the game AAR. Over 29,300 is pretty extraordinary. And while I know a lot of us are checking in over and over - that's still an amazing number. They are wonderful to watch and I personally - being a poor player - learn a lot from seeing the pro's in action. Thanx.

• 7 months later...

I meant to reply to this earlier in the week, apologies.

There will almost certainly be more official AARs to come, but in the meantime if anyone has the time and inclination to start up an AAR then please do so.

It is obviously more time consuming than just playing the game, but I think it really adds to the experience through knowing there is an audience who are following it, so it makes it even more fun to play.

There is already one on the go, by X13fox, and it would be great to see more.

As an aside, I had my first ever SC nightmare recently. I was dreaming that in my 1914 March on Paris AAR I had vacated Verdun, and moved all my French troops elsewhere to attack the Germans, hoping that my opponent wouldn't notice that I'd left one of France's most important cities empty.

Unfortunately, the very next turn he marched into Verdun without a fight, and I woke up at 3am thinking to myself "how on earth am I going to explain this to everyone on the forum!!"

Took me a few minutes to realize it was just a dream... and fortunately in the game, Verdun remains very strongly held! :)

• 1 year later...
Can't say I've had any SC nightmares, but many times I've fallen asleep thinking about a strategy or a move for the next turn.

Always have a notepad by the bedside light stand just in case I come up with something during an end-day reflection, some have been profitable!:)

Had a thought myself. Playing the original Cross of Iron, Squad Leader. So guess what? I bought it on Ebay :) Gaming this Christmas.

In His Name,

-Legend

• 2 weeks later...

Had a thought myself. Playing the original Cross of Iron, Squad Leader. So guess what? I bought it on Ebay :) Gaming this Christmas.

In His Name,

-Legend

In His Name,

-Legend

ASL is not a game you can just jump into. ASL has a starter kit, you might find it a little more

enjoyable.

Don't let Rambo fool ya, he has daymares, recalling the time I had a French HQ in Warsaw (turn two)...

think he skritt his pants on that one.

Them there was the good old days.