Sign in to follow this  
CanuckGamer

I Want To Buy The Full Game But.......

I have been trying to play the Demo by PBEM with a buddy and I like what I see but the game has crashed for me very move. I can view the replay but it seems to crash about a minute after I exit the replay and attempt to plot my move. My buddy indicates that he has not had any issues on his side. I have attached a screenshot of what I get when it crashes. My system is a:

Pentium Dual Core 3.16 GHz

Windows XP

4 GIG of Ram

1 GIG video card - HIS Radeon HD 4890

500 GB hard drive

The scenario we are playing is the crossroads one.

Anyway, I am wary of purchasing the full version given the issue I am having playing the demo. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

post-11507-141867623321_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I can't read the text of the error dialog in the attachment. Perhaps an upgrade to your video drivers may help. We have seen issues with AMD Catalyst drivers before version 11.5 with CMBN. So possibly upgrading those MAY help with this, though most issues usually involve crashes just attempting to run the game (i.e. - you never get in the game).

AMD Catalyst driver v. 11.11 for Windows XP 32-bit

I suggest downloading these drivers, uninstalling your current drivers and Catalyst Control Center (from Control Panel > Add and Remove Programs) and rebooting. Once you've rebooted, then install these drivers.

Though CMBN doesn't use it (it is an OpenGL game), you may also want to update your DirectX 9.0c files. This will not affect you're current problem, but I'd recommend it anyway:

DirectX 9.0c web updater

The message says:

CM Normandy Demo has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I clicked on the link where the technical details of the problem and here is part of the message.

Exception Information

Code 0xc0000005 Flags 0x0000000

Record 0x0000000000000000 Address 0x0000000069614df8

System Information

Windows NT 5.1 Build: 2600

There is more information that I don't understand. At the very end it says:

The following files will be included in this error reprt:

C:\DOCUME~1\Soon\LOCALS~1\Temp\5c98_appcompat.txt

I have been able to play another of the scenarios as a single player without any problems. What I may do is try this same scenario single player to see if it crashes. I am curious about the reference to Windows NT?

Is patch 1.01 only for the full version? Wondering if this might fix my problem with demo. If so then I would have enough confidence in being able to run the game that I would buy the full version.

Yes, the 1.01 patch can ONLY be applied to the full version and NOT the demo.

The "Windows NT 5.1 Build: 2600" is a reference to Windows XP.

Have you tried updating the video driver yet ? Do you know which driver you have currently installed ?

Tread Head - so the game crashes ON EVERY TURN about a minute after replay in turn-based play for you ? And this is regardless of the scenario ?

No, it crashes about 20% of the time, after I hit the save game button when playing my pbem game.

I've given up. The demo crashes about 2 minutes after I start every time. It was taking four or five reboots just to view the replay as I like to move around the map and view from different perspectives. For plotting, I would start up the demo, not view the replay, plot a few units and save hoping that it would not crash before that. This procedure worked for one turn. Now the game crashes as soon as I choose Saved Game. Anyway, no way that I'm going to spend $55 on a game that won't work on my system. Will have to wait until I get a new PC - I quess. Thanks for trying to help me out though, much appreciated.

Tried the same scenario, Closing the Pocket, real time, single player and I was able to play 6 minutes before it crashed. I was actually able to play the first demo scenario single player to conclusion. Maybe because it had less units?

What was happening when the game crashed? Had arty just come in?

Next time you get the crash, would you mind emailing me the full technical details? Also, if you could track it down, that appcompat.txt file might be helpful. At any rate I might be able to tell if this is a bug we fixed in the 1.0 release, or in the 1.01 patch.

My email is my first name, as above, at battlefront.com.

Sign in to follow this