Sign in to follow this  
SlowMotion

Out of Memory error tip

The original thread discussing this problem has been closed, but I hope discussing the topic is still ok.

I've also stumbled into this problem while playing Fire Brigade. I have 2GB ram and ATI's 2GB video card, WinXP SP3.

I got the OoM crash while loading scenario files even if I had not loaded other files first.

I was able to make those files load by using smaller screen resolution and lowering some gfx settings.

It's important to note that we've been told that CM2 technology is based on pre-Win7 OS so it can only utilize around 3GB RAM anyway. Monster machines with 6GB-9GB simply can't use all that RAM for CM games.

I also did some research before getting my own new machine and found that videocards with more than 1GB are rarely going to be able to use that extra VRAM with most games (certainly not CM), so 2GB Vram is more of a gimmick than anything else.

Processing speed and a fast HD/SSD appear to be the primary factors of importance for CM.

I also did some research before getting my own new machine and found that videocards with more than 1GB are rarely going to be able to use that extra VRAM with most games (certainly not CM), so 2GB Vram is more of a gimmick than anything else.

I don't know how much VRAM CMx2 games use, but there ARE games where extra memory makes a noticable difference:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=29251

Sadly CMBN is the only game I've tried the use more memory fix on that didn't work...

I hope either the Bulge game or at least the EF series is able to use more memory, but I doubt it. We were told this engine is fantastic because you can keep adding to it so it doesn't get to dated, this I feel is the test.

Well, if you really want a version of CMBN that can use more memory, you can always switch to the Mac version; the OSX port is native 64-bit and can use "as much memory as you throw at it," according to Phil.

[disclaimer: Not trying to start a Mac vs. PC flame-war here. Obviously, if the primary purpose for your computer is PC gaming, Windows-based machines are the better option. But any Mac players who stumble on this thread may find it useful to know that the Mac version does not have the system memory restrictions that the PC version has.]

Sadly CMBN is the only game I've tried the use more memory fix on that didn't work...

I hope either the Bulge game or at least the EF series is able to use more memory, but I doubt it. We were told this engine is fantastic because you can keep adding to it so it doesn't get to dated, this I feel is the test.

The "more memory fix" is none of the things that name implies. :) People who suggest applying it willy-nilly to any game that has out-of-memory errors are playing with fire.

At any rate, making these OOM errors a thing of the past is definitely a goal.

The "more memory fix" is none of the things that name implies. :) People who suggest applying it willy-nilly to any game that has out-of-memory errors are playing with fire.

At any rate, making these OOM errors a thing of the past is definitely a goal.

Music to the ears Phil. Thanks

I know this is an old thread, but if your out there SlowMotion I just wanted to say thanks. I was experiencing the OOM problem and your tip here seems to have helped. I was having other issues so I've learned to save frequently. Trying to load my last save, I got the OOM. After some investigation, I noticed that my last save files were 5-6 MB less than previous ones. Trying to load them produced the OOM message. After reading this thread, I lowered the gfx settings and resolution and went back to the last working save, I was than able to play. Next save seemed good (appropriate # of MB) and now all seems good. : ) Again, thanks.

Sign in to follow this