CM:BN Screenshot Thread #2

Sgt. Squarehead,

Glad you liked it.  The Crocs are truly terrifying beasts and I've always wondered how armies assigned men to flamethrower duties.  In the case of the man-packed ones, I think it usually came down to the biggest guy getting stuck with the job, because they were so heavy.  But for armor, I wonder if the Croc crews were volunteers or just pulled from the next list and assigned there, whether they wanted it or not.

I didn't know that about the spelling for Lieutenant for the Brits.  I'd always figured it was spelled differently as well as pronounced differently.  I wonder, should I spell it differently in these small vignettes or go back to the correct spelling and assume the reader will affect the correct pronunciation? 

Heinrich505

53 minutes ago, Heinrich505 said:

I didn't know that about the spelling for Lieutenant for the Brits.  I'd always figured it was spelled differently as well as pronounced differently.  I wonder, should I spell it differently in these small vignettes or go back to the correct spelling and assume the reader will affect the correct pronunciation? 

LOL I figured you did that on purpose. Lots of people don't realize that the Commonwealth forces pronounce it differently so selling it "wrong" seems clever actually. Mind you readers of these forums are probably more likely to know.

IanL,

You are quite right. :)  The crowd here will know the difference in how it is pronounced. 

I've always liked how it sounded, and it seemed an interesting way to distinguish the Commonwealth forces from the Americans they were supporting in this battle. 

When I looked up the ranks online, it was always spelled Lieutenant in literature, but I knew it was pronounced Leftenant.  I'm glad you liked my choice of "literary license," heh heh.

I couldn't find anything definitive about why it was pronounced differently, other than some vague references about trying to distance themselves from the French pronunciation of Lieutenant, that being "Loo" and the British going with "Left" to make it completely different from the French.  Interesting stuff though.

Glad y'all are enjoying these AARs.

Heinrich505

"There is fair evidence (in terms of how the word was spelled in middle english) that both "lef" and "lieu" pronunciations have coexisted for some time. The French word "lieu" (place) on which the word is based, is occasionally seen spelt in old French as "luef"."

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...