CM:BN Screenshot Thread #2

[in advance, Aris' mod was running alongside it, hence the sky, that's the only element visible from that though]. Texture mod in full swing now, mostly new textures although a few stock have been adjusted. I have no idea if or how I'll release it though, it's over 300mb already due to double sized textures :D

cmbna.jpg

cmbnb.jpg

cmbnd.jpg

cmbne.jpg

These are all unedited shots of course.

it's over 300mb already due to double sized textures

LJFHutch, does the game engine really depict the modified textures in their new size? In my experience, resolution it´s automatically changed to stock so it doesn´t matter if I use 4096x4096 textures they will remain 512x512 if that was their original size...The only visible change is that on the same terrain tile (ingame) the textures(grass, dirt ,...)will look 2 times smaller when using 2x times bigger textures. Curious as to what you may have experienced on this matter.

Yes they certainly become more detailed, when I bumped the standard textures from 1024 to 2048 it was noticeably crisper.

Now of course, there are two downsides to this: firstly, because the textures are much larger it's more difficult to edit them (the .xcf for the main grass texture is 220mb and while editing I was seriously running out of ram and running on the HDD) and also it has real consequences for performance (a large map will stutter occasionally due to struggling with the memory. Since then I have lowered the resolution on a few "minor" textures and it seems to be fine.

For the release I just wasn't sure if I'd have time to finish it, but yesterday I pretty much completed it so I'd say most likely it's a yes, uploading won't be super fun, I haven't uploaded multiple parts before, just submit separate files?

Edit: Comparison between 1024 and 2048, I can't believe how close those camera angles are :D

cmnormandy2012011711133.jpg

My 2 cents:

I am still unsure about the fact that resizing the stock textures does actually improve the resolution. Game engine uses terrain tiles of say, 8x8 meters. In that square, the engine fits a single texture. If you make the texture 3 times bigger the game will make that unneccessarily big texture fit in that square. There is no way to make a 4096x4096 texture to cover a bigger portion of the terrain. It will still cover a 8x8 square (this is an example). As a result, if you make a 512 size texture into a 1024 one, you can use that tile (512 one) 4 times to fit the new size (1024), but all the object there (rocks, shrubs,...etc) will be 2 times smaller. That doesn´t make the textures to be more detailed or crisp, as the original texture remains the same, only repeated. If you use an all-new 2048 appropiately tiled texture, the crispness won´t come from its size (as the game will make it fit in the 8x8 square anyway) but from it´s NEW quality. That´s what I can say from my experience. But BFC might prove me wrong.

I am still unsure about the fact that resizing the stock textures does actually improve the resolution. Game engine uses terrain tiles of say, 8x8 meters. In that square, the engine fits a single texture.
It is actually around 50m x50m, but this is correct. No matter what size the texture is, it is mapped into those 50x50 areas.

So it is quite possible to get higher resolution of textures by increasing their size. Similarly you can get lower resolution.

What is not possible is to get a different area covered. This is very unfortunate IMO because it makes it impossible to create gridded terrain where the grid aligns with the action spots, which are 8x8m.

If the game engine uses a 1024 texture and you use a 4096 one, no matter what the resolution is, the game engine will resize it, all gaining it´s lost.

You're sure about that? I've never seen an engine that re-sizes textures, especially for models (they're UV mapped to the [square] texture, so size is irrelevant).

The following is a comparison of two tiles, dirt red and dirt, using two different sizes of my grass texture.

Dirt Red

Standard size is 1024

Current size is 1024 (same size)

Dirt

Standard size is 1024

Current size is 4096 (4x size)

The improvement is visible even in the small image below:

cmnormandy2012011811205.jpg

Here's a larger version:

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/3356/cmnormandy2012011811205.jpg

Yes they certainly become more detailed, when I bumped the standard textures from 1024 to 2048 it was noticeably crisper.

Now of course, there are two downsides to this: firstly, because the textures are much larger it's more difficult to edit them (the .xcf for the main grass texture is 220mb and while editing I was seriously running out of ram and running on the HDD) and also it has real consequences for performance (a large map will stutter occasionally due to struggling with the memory. Since then I have lowered the resolution on a few "minor" textures and it seems to be fine.

Yeah I think this is the reason the far LOD textures are so small in the game. They are repeated literally hundreds of times and all displayed on screen at the same time.

LJFHUtch: From what I have read, CMMODS permits the loading of larger files than The Repository here does. Maybe it would be easier to upload at CMMODS.

Most ZIP or RAR programs allow you to create multiple archives, which you can then upload to the Repository as Part 1, Part 2 etc.