Tank driver a casualty - what should I expect to happen

I am playing a PBEM game right now where a Sherman has taken a Shrek hit that killed the driver. Now three turns later the tank has not reversed out of trouble yet (yes I gave it a reverse order). What should my expectations be? Will they replace the driver and get out of Dodge or will they never get around to it?

I realized the job of shifting a wounded or dead man out of the driver seat will be non trivial and right now the gunner and the loader are working pretty hard to keep the German platoon away. So far they are doing well, the Shrek team is dead and at least one squad had been shredded and are surrendering but there are plenty of threats near by. I have sent another Sherman closer to help but the infantry screen has totally collapsed near by and there really is no chance to get them more help.

I am just curious about other people's experience. Do they need to beat back the Germans before the take the time to sort out the driver? How long might it take even if the nearby threats are dealt with?

I will tell you what to expect. "I don't expect you to talk, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!"

In all seriousness, when I had this happen to my pixeltruppen, I never got another crewmember to drive. My Sherman was destroyed a few minutes later.

Good luck!

The driver, Mac, was a hefty guy. Even without his left torso, he still weighs over 200 pounds. I think the turret crew are trying to keep everyone else alive while the radio/bow gunner, Donald, cuts Mac into smaller (more easily lifted) chunks with his pocket knife.

Once Mac is out of the way, Donald will take over driving.

Uh oh. Donald's knife just snagged on a bit of tendon, and closed on his knuckles.

This might take a while.

Update: it has been four or five minutes now and still no movement but again the crew spend a busy minute fending off more German soldiers. The are now only coming from two directions but still there are enemy troops with in 100m of the tank. I can totally see why they have not replaced the driver. Right now and for the foreseeable future there is no way exiting and remounting will be a safe thing to do. I will just have to assume they will not be going anywhere and help them out as best I can. The other tank is doing a good job of distracting one squad and I do have a mortar unit that can provide some fire support. Their current state is "Nervous".

SOUNDS FUN.

as pointed out in the other post, a dead crew man becomes a issue just to get out of the way so you can function in that spot. But At the moment your men are likely focused on their present task, if they have a gun, they are wanting to use it. I know that exiting the crew works because I just had a similar experence with mine. But my crew left because of fear and not by my orders, they managed to survive the hail of bullets with 3 left. When they recovered and I could get them back into the tank I was wondering what positions they would fill since I had no driver. What has be fun for me is that 3 man crew in an sherman has become the most accomplished tank unit since they entered back into battle.

They are slow but good.