Tactics - clearing bldgs.

It is time we start having Threads that deal with playing the game well.

I read something from a few players as to technics they are using to clear buildings. last night as I was playing, I was trying some of them out. The funny thing was, my best result happened when my unit used none of them.

I had a split squad, run up to a bldg. Look in the windows and fire, killing 3 enemy soilders. No real special orders from me.

where as, placing suppressing fire, then ordering the unit that ran up on the bldg to target it, which normally managed to get them to use grenades, was working but I was normally getting men killed from dirrect fire from the enemy within.

Anyway, what are you finding to be the most successful ways of clearing bldgs and rooms once inside.

One tip I would add to the usual stuff that's said about this subject: Don't move too quickly once you're inside the building. Enemy units inside buildings can take a while to spot, especially if they're suppressed and hiding. If you move too fast, you may miss a guy initially, and if he's not completely broken, he may pop up and take out a few of your guys before your guys can kill him, especially if he has a semi-auto or full-auto weapon.

So after you first gain entry to a large building with multiple floors, and especially interconnected buildings, let your entry team sit for a bit. After 10-15 seconds, they may spot an enemy in the floor above them, or in one of the connected buildings nearby, and it's much better to not be moving in a short-range firefight.

In fact, I usually try to gain entry with one team, and then have this team stand still inside the building while another team move past them on to the next floor, and/or connected buildings. Seems to work well most of the time.

One tip I would add to the usual stuff that's said about this subject: Don't move too quickly once you're inside the building. Enemy units inside buildings can take a while to spot, especially if they're suppressed and hiding. If you move too fast, you may miss a guy initially, and if he's not completely broken, he may pop up and take out a few of your guys before your guys can kill him, especially if he has a semi-auto or full-auto weapon.

So after you first gain entry to a large building with multiple floors, and especially interconnected buildings, let your entry team sit for a bit. After 10-15 seconds, they may spot an enemy in the floor above them, or in one of the connected buildings nearby, and it's much better to not be moving in a short-range firefight.

In fact, I usually try to gain entry with one team, and then have this team stand still inside the building while another team move past them on to the next floor, and/or connected buildings. Seems to work well most of the time.

leap frogging units is a tactic that is used by most armies, as to using it in the game, I think it seems to pay benefits in general also. In bldgs there is a point it always seem scary, that is when the rear unit is crossing the front one, it is not the time for the enemy to appear and open up on you. but that is just a chance one has to take.

Yep. That one of the reasons why I think it's good to have the front unit sit and observe for a little bit before bringing the next unit in to leapfrog.

It's also often better if you can bring the second team in from a different entry point, but this isn't always possible.

Think outside of the box lads.

16" Naval Gunfire.

Clear that building - What Building?

From what I hear, you are the gent that would have every battle nothing but arty, if the game was designed to your wishes.

Note: one of my favorite things in game play, get my opponant to drop arty where he thinks I am, but where I really am not. Just did that in my last email battle too, Oh how sweet to see them waste that precious arty.

There are a lot of, shall we say, "fables of superior micromanagement" floating around the CM community.

Old system, I micromanaged everything, the new one, I am starting to wonder on some things. Except for hide and covered arc. You really need to stay on top of the troops now to help prevent them from opening up too early. Other than that, they do many things on their own well.

Well, except movement.

Yeah, the benefits derived from the basic game commands / orders, and the information provided from even basic tasks such as selecting a unit are important (many of which I'd be willing to bet, most players aren't even aware of), but in the end it comes down to creating "unfair" matchups using terrain.

E.G, clearing buildings: Just area target the crap out of each floor that inf are suspected to be hiding. They'll either become uncomfortable and crawl around, giving away their position, and / or start firing back.

My favourite is to approach from a wall that has no windows and blast your way in with a demo charge. Had a breach team surprise an entire german squad like this. Right after the blast the team killed three of them with smg fire and the rest were so shook up they immediately surrendered. Obviously not an option all the time though.

My favourite is to approach from a wall that has no windows and blast your way in with a demo charge. Had a breach team surprise an entire german squad like this. Right after the blast the team killed three of them with smg fire and the rest were so shook up they immediately surrendered. Obviously not an option all the time though.

good tactic, of course you need the demo.charges to use such tricks.

I am finding I need them to give me better obtions in bocage country, always using them to blast me paths so I can flank the enemy.