All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Did you already take a look at the FGM Depot? At least you find the mods and scenarios sorted per game and per „topic“. So, it‘s easy to decide which mod works for which game. But as George said: Many will be included in @37mm selection already. Regarding „one mod to make everything prettier“: Well, that’s difficult anyway. Your taste is not necessarily my taste…. E.g., if you prefer Lucky Strike‘s or Falaise‘s environment mod for BN is quite much a question of your personal preference.
  3. Today
  4. Interesting visualization of a propaganda projection process.
  5. Seems like it ought to be worth a whole file box of federal indictments.
  6. https://www.wsj.com/world/russia-doubled-imports-of-an-explosives-ingredientwith-western-help-fd8d18bc
  7. I agree that is the outcome, but I'm not so sure we can conclude it was the intended outcome. Sometimes people do things that don't work and accidentally get a better result. It could very well be some semi-competent terrorists dreamed of taking out an airline and thought their "clever" plans would work, didn't, and instead caused air travel to be More Sucky™ than it previously was. Steve
  8. The specific goal is predicated on the reaction to the action. So it is one in the same. Otherwise what you're saying is terrorists are just Underpants Gnomes who say Phase 1 = do attack, Phase 2 = [blank], Phase 3 = goal achieved. That's illogical. It is more logical that they work backwards, starting with a goal, figuring out what reaction will further that goal, then determining an attack. Attack gets response, response leads to goal. And two for two complete missing the point reactions to my Hamas comment. (sigh) I am not trying to compare ISIS-K to Hamas. Never even came into my mind. I never said there is a possibility of reconciliation between Israel and Palestinians now or, in fact, any time in the near future. Never even came into my mind to suggest that. What I instead did was compare two recent terrorist attacks and the response of the victim in the context of the terrorists' own concept of a goal. Forget I mentioned Hamas and Israel. Generic Attack A the terrorists clearly wanted a specific reaction and the victim provided it to them. Generic Case B the terrorists clearly wanted a reaction of some sort and it is unclear if the victim provided it. In Case A the terrorists achieved their goal, Case B it appears they did not. I do not know what ISIS-K's intended goals for the attack are, but I think it's safe to conclude they didn't just kill those people for the sake of killing some random civilians. Therefore, they must have had something in mind. The only logical thing for them to have been seeking is some sort of response from Moscow that would, in their view, further their particular cause. I don't see how Russia just sitting there, effectively doing nothing, while their population just shrugs was what they were looking for. Therefore, it is probable that whatever reaction they had hoped to get out of Russia is not what it got. This is important because groups seeking attention don't like being ignored, especially when they put in the effort to get noticed. Sure, ISIS-K has a higher profile today than it did two weeks go. Definite plus for them, but that was likely expected as a side effect of whatever they were looking for. Therefore, it is a pretty good bet that the ISIS-K leadership is actively plotting another large attack to get what they didn't get from this one. Steve
  9. Oftentimes the reactions are very predictable and pretty obviously the goal of the attackers. The Shoe Bomber and the Underwear Bomber are examples of that. The two guys who got caught trying to blow things up may have thought that they were going to damage something and kill a bunch of people, but whoever set them up wasn't expecting that. Neither one of them was going to damage anything - they were set up to get caught hiding explosives in ways that would cause the US and much of the world to inflict all sorts of disruption on itself. Had they actually blown up the aircraft over ocean it's likely that the root cause would have never been found. But by under-arming them and making sure they got caught, they gave the DHS another thing to freak out over and add ineffective disruptions to try to mitigate. That would have failed the goals of whoever set them up. The reaction to both of those was entirely predictable and we still disrupt our air travel to try to detect copycats to this day.
  10. It's the modern military version of "you can't outrun motorola", and it's the kind of thing anybody who's watched broadcast TV in Los Angeles is familiar with. Somebody in a car is trying to get away from police and as soon as the helicopters show up it's over, but they usually drag it out for another couple hours on live TV thinking they can get away. Followed by a police helicopter and 3-4 news choppers, all with searchlights and Vis/IR cameras. Replace the helicopters with 2-3 overwatch drones and the squad cars with a half dozen FPV munition drones and it's Ukraine.
  11. Given the ever increasing efficiency of totalitarian repression, I have serious doubts about rolling back any gains Xi and Send several hundred of them at every refinery in Russia, and then start on airfields, electrical substations, and train control boxes.
  12. Moscow death count 133. ...So ISIS has basically killed the personnel of a VDV rifle company (in the theoretical event of a full mobilisation). Largely military aged males, and likely above the mean for education and patriotic fervour.
  13. Ops...I think @Vacillator was probably referring to me...Anyways, my 'House Rules' below. 1. No Off-Map Preplanned or On-Map Arty from Attacker or Defender on turn 1 of a Meeting Engagement...Attack/Defense Games are exempt as Attacker may call-in Preplanned Arty on turn 1. 2. Player will let the Computer AI choose what Targets to shoot at. However, you can still Area-Fire at any spot on Map and set Firing Arcs. 3. When a Player checks LOS at any given Waypoint, then he must keep that Waypoint (and make no adjustments) for duration of turn (next turn you can delete all old Waypoints and start again)...AKA, once you take your hand off the Chess piece you can't redo move. 4. Vehicle Smoke Dischargers will be handled by Computer AI. 5. Turn Off Armor Detailed Hits. 6. Install 'No Tracer Mod'. 7. Install 'RH Invisible Icons' Mod...(However, only install the Invisible Axis mod if you are playing Allied, and vice-versa). 8. Only use Green Troops.
  14. Yesterday
  15. Now I beat Remagen campaign great module. I can not believe that about three days later the Germans shelled the approach which had tons of vehicles in waiting to cross as the approach was exposed to artillery So many vehicles and tanks were hit by the artillery around the approach and town that bodies piled up many feet high. Why couldn't they find the source of the German shelling? That is insane and it was 3 days after they captured the bridge! Here is more stuff on Remagen https://www.v2rocket.com/start/deployment/v2s-on-remagen.html
  16. Range several hundred kilometers. Please note the high quality tail fin art.
  17. I think we're saying the same thing, perhaps you better than I .
  18. Once the white flag appears they can't "unsurrender". And if you are playing turn-based they will disappear either in that turn, or the next.
  19. Also add that the vickers MG belt still has black between bullets on ammo belt, compare to other MG belts.
  20. I think some people still don't quite get how important drones will be for the future of warfare. I'm guessing Euan focused on the dollar figure in his recap of Arthur's thread because money is what most people understand. We are seeing some exciting naval history be made on the Black Sea thanks to drones. Lets be honest after all this time we are still kinda impressed when we see Ukraine take out expensive RU stuff with cheap drones and disappointed when RU can do the same with expensive Ukrainian stuff. No matter how many times we see it.
  21. Except that terrorist acts aren't committed with a specific reaction in mind. Terrorist acts are committed with a specific goal in mind. The goals of Hamas are not comparable to the goals of ISIS and there is no possible reconciliation between Israel and Hamas. Hamas doesn't need to create acts of terrorism in order to gain Palestinian recruits. Polls, for what they are worth, show that Hamas has somewhere upwards of 70 percent favorability to the citizens of Gaza so they don't need to convince anyone. Everyone in their neighborhood is already signed up. No, the only people Hamas needs to recruit are non Palestinians to buy what they are selling so that they can continue to attack Israel and convince the international community to condemn Israel for defending itself. Therefore the goal of Hamas is to attack Israel, claim that Israel is filled with genocidal Nazi colonizers who rape and pillage for entertainment, and hope that eventually either they can remove Israel from the face of the earth themselves, or that the international community will do it for them. The only way Israel can end the cycle is to completely destroy Hamas and replace them with a government structure that's more amenable to compromise, because if they don't Hamas will just attack again as soon as they are able and we'll be right back where we are again today. ISIS isn't concerned so much with Israel. Their goals are more comprehensive. How does an attack inside Russia advance the goal of the restoration of the caliphate I'm not really sure, but they have launched attacks in Iran recently too and Russia has / had troops in Syria so maybe it's not all that complicated. I don't want to get this thread sidetracked though and I know how badly this topic can spin out of control so I think I'll just leave it there. 3. What are Hamas’ aims? What Hamas plainly seeks is the establishment of a Palestinian state. Where there is doubt is over the territory in which it envisages the establishment of the state, since it initially called for a Palestinian state occupying the West Bank, Gaza and the space now occupied by the state of Israel. In fact, they violently opposed the 1993 Oslo peace accords between the Palestine National Liberation Organisation and the State of Israel. Accordingly, they initially refused to form part of the Palestinian National Authority, which was beginning to gain international –though not unanimous– recognition as the legitimate Palestinian authority and the blueprint for the future Palestinian state. 4. Does Hamas recognise Israel? Although public statements by Hamas leaders vary, its denial of the legitimacy of the state of Israel has been a constant point of friction in the region. Important doctrines of ISIL include its belief that it represents the restoration of the caliphate of early Islam, and that all Muslims are required to pledge allegiance to it;[9] that a "defiled" Islam must be purged of apostasy, often with bloody sectarian killings,[10] that the final Day of Judgment by God is near and will follow the defeat of the army of "Rome" by IS;[2] that a strict adherence to following the precepts "established by the Prophet Muhammad and his earliest followers" is necessary, surpassing even that of other Salafi-Jihadi groups.[2]
  22. +1 to that, doesn't take long - perhaps a turn or two. I assume they are showing a white flag and have their hands up? I ask because some of the unit (which you may not have spotted) may not have decided to surrender.
  23. It wasn't directed at you. Don't play like a cheeseball in general. But what's funny is that you did abuse this mechanic against me in the PBEM we are currently playing. So yeah, you abuse it. Your opponent could buy all javelin teams and wipe the field of your troops, or he could buy a balanced force and have a decent game with you. Be decent unless your opponent is indecent.
  24. Units that surrender can "unsurrender" if friendly (to them) units come nearby. That way you can rescue your own surrendered units in the same way that the enemy can theirs. It is wise to leave some rear area units with enemy units that are surrendering - until the system automatically removes them from the map.
  25. "Magyar" shows how Russians set riverine mines into Dnipro to interfere maneuvers of our boats among islands south of Kherson. Initilly he shows stupid Russians, who set mines in daylight and blew up themselves by own mine (probably because of safety violation when handling HE), further we can see a mine in the water an UKR drone, trying to pull it up (the mine set up on anchor), but in this case despite the drone could lift the mine up, but it turned out too heavy and drone fell into the water. Next, at 1:15 we can see intercepted video from Russian heavy drone, which carry riveirne mine and drop it in the water. And finally we can see the beginning of the episode at the start of video, where Russians st mines from the boat. Here "Magyar" shows bomb strike with JDAM/AASM at the building in Kozachi Laheri village on left bank of Kherson oblast, where UAV drone team control post was detected. This is shortened version of video only with a strike, "Magyar" issued 9-minutes video, how they tracks Russians in this building and cars, arrivig there, one cars was hit by FPV. "Magyar" also told in the night UKR heavy drone bomber destroyed the roof of this cottage with thermite ordnance, but Russians kept own presence there.
  26. The area fire is certainly flying here . It's just a game and we can play it how we like, with agreement if another human is involved. Being the naive person I am, I've never even mentioned house rules to anyone but it's never been a problem. Except for when I was sent a full page of house rules that I didn't quite understand. That game stalled there as no explanations were forthcoming.
  27. 1. I don't "abuse" CM. Don't accuse me of something that is untrue. 2. How the game is "meant" to be played? I didn't know there was a right and wrong way to play a game, other than by the rules you set up with your opponent beforehand and those imposed by the engine itself.
  1. Load more activity